Dan d'Agostino Classic stereo amp

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Any of you had the chance to audition this nice piece of gear ?
I'm very curious and the price seems just about right for average audiophile.

Thieliste

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
We currently have one in the store.
You are right that the price is right, as nobody will mistake it for a Momentum-series amp :) But it's a great unit for what it is: a beefy, powerful stereo amp, that will drive any speaker, and can be easily integrated into a HT setup.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
We currently have one in the store.
You are right that the price is right, as nobody will mistake it for a Momentum-series amp :) But it's a great unit for what it is: a beefy, powerful stereo amp, that will drive any speaker, and can be easily integrated into a HT setup.

asiufy can you please descrive the sound signature of this amp, does it have a little bit of warmth and smooth sound and still being fast and transparent ?
My speakers are Thiel CS 3.7 would this amp be a good companion ?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
asiufy can you please descrive the sound signature of this amp, does it have a little bit of warmth and smooth sound and still being fast and transparent ?
My speakers are Thiel CS 3.7 would this amp be a good companion ?

Hi!

Yes, it is indeed pretty much like you described. There are warmer (and faster, and more transparent...) amps out there, but I think the Classic Stereo hits a certain sweet spot that is just right.

A good friend had a pair of your speakers, and I saw how much they benefited from a smooth yet powerful amp...

I just saw this review on TAS:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/dagostino-classic-stereo-amplifier/

And it seems to be pretty spot on, and here's what Jacob found:

"So what separates it from the truly megabuck amplifiers? It lacks the last degree of tactility, finesse, and depth that a more refined amplifier would convey. On a Harmonia Mundi recording of Bach’s violin concertos by the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra, the amp’s control was readily apparent but so was a slight glaze over the original instruments that the ensemble deploys for its performances. If this amp has a weak spot, it’s the treble where it can harden slightly on very complex and dynamic passages. Obviously, some compromises had to be made to get to this price point. I seriously doubt, however, that an amplifier built a decade ago for ten times the price would sound as good as D’Agostino’s Classic.
In that regard, perhaps the most striking aspect is how easily the Classic Stereo delivers the sense of an ensemble playing in unison. There is always what the U.S. Army likes to call unit cohesion when listening to the Classic Stereo. Put otherwise, there is no smearing, no bloat, or any of the other sonic nasties that can mar the suspension of disbelief that audiophiles crave when attempting to replicate live music; rather, the amplifier conveyed a lissome sense of ease and flow to the music. In sum, the Classic Stereo offers amazing imaging and clout. If you’re looking for an amp that can handle difficult loads with ease and provide excellent performance without costing you a packet, this is it."
I've no doubt your Thiel is going to love this amp :)

cheers,
alex

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks alex!
Just another question, i just saw on your website that you also sale the Hegel line, can you tell me something about the H30 stereo compared to the classic amp.
I've been told that the H30 is phenomenal with Thiel CS 3.7
Which one do you prefer ?

Thieliste

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I haven't heard either amp on the Thiels, so take that in consideration. I do know the speakers, as I said, a good friend owned them for many years, and through many amps...

The Hegel is slightly warmer, sweeter, a little slower perhaps, but definitely smoother in the high frequencies. Not as powerful, though, so for big bass, the D'Agostino still wins.

Either amp will be a good choice for your Thiels. In the end, it comes down to preference, and your listening habits/preferences.

As you're going from an integrated to a stereo amp, you might need a preamp. If you want to go DAC direct, make sure your DAC has analog volume control, as the HD12 doesn't, otherwise you're dropping bits when you attenuate...

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Well my future upgrade will be a huge one as i'm considering with either of these 2 amps Steve McCormack's SMC audio VRE-1C preamp and French TotalDac D1-six with D1 server.
Another possibility is a full SMC audio system with TotalDac + server.
The speakers will stay.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
asiufy can you tell me something about D'agostino's Momentum Integrated ?
Is it worth the 50K price tag ?
At this price tag i think it's better to go seperates.
For 50K here in Europe i can get a full Ypsilon system.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It is $45k here in the US :)
We have one right here in the store, and needless to say, I love it! We've powered everything from horns to the big YG Sonja 1.3s with it, with no issues!
The way I see it, this is really a two-box amp+preamp combo, neatly dressed and sold as one package! That bottom section, that looks like a base, it's the power supply, and holds all the heavy duty stuff.
Ah, one concern with the D'Agostino is that your sources will have to be balanced/XLR, as that's all it does (no RCAs).
I'm not familiar with the Ypsilon stuff, but from the stuff I know, at this end of the spectrum the only other brand I'd consider is darTZeel. You might be able to source a pre+power combo, used, at an attractive cost. I've heard the CTH-8550 integrated on your Thiels, and they were incredible!
The Hegel H30 is still a good option, and cheaper still, but you'll have to invest in a preamp...
Hope this helps!

cheers,
alex

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks alex, i was actually wondering about the CTH-8550, does it really have juice to feed properly the CS 3.7 ?
This int amp is 200w into 8 ohm but not doubling down into 4 ohm therefore i was wondering if it had enough grip on the Thiels.
Here in Europe we have the Ghyphon Diablo 300 which is a serious power house for a little less money then the Dart.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Absolutely, the CTH will be glorious on the Thiels. That's what a friend of mine has, after selling all his AR tube gear, monoblocs and all. It was jarring at first, as the darTZeel has a lot more resolution.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Ok i will try to audition the CTH if i can find a dealer.
For cables, do you think Kubala Sosna Emotion line would be a good match for Thiel ?
I have another question, would it be possible to mate the D'agostino classic stereo amp to the Dartzeel NHB-18NS linestage and how would that combo sound ?
Thanks.

David David

Aug 9, 2018
Any opinions about D'agostino Classic Stereo?

Some time passed since 2016, and maybe someone have a new experience with this amp?
Any feedbacks much appreciate.
Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing