VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
How are u going to shoot it?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
How are u going to shoot it?

pray for clear skies.

mount my 500mm f4 IS II with my 5DSr on the gimbaled tripod, and my 24-70mm f2.8 II or 70-200mm f2.8 II (for framing flexibility) with the 1DX on another tripod.

pray again for clear skies.

just outside my driveway is the crest of a hill looking east over the mountains (my avatar is looking west), which is always excellent for a beautiful dawn and also for the rising moon. i will need to figure out the optimal time for the moon rise over the mountains so I'm ready.

and again, offer a sacrifice of some sort for clear skies.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What settings?

I'm a learning night photographer, my gear is mostly for bird photography where speed and using automatic settings is dominant.

so here is a link to a page that possibly is a little out of date but does hit the high points. basically you want to go 'manual' mostly......

f11, use a tripod and timer. turn off autofocus and image stabilizing. use as low an iso as you can.....the moon will be moving so you don't want a long exposure. possibly do some test shots a few days ahead of time to learn how to do this stuff ahead of time in the dark as the time window for a good shot is quite limited near the horizon.

https://photographylife.com/how-to-photograph-moon

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thats a great link. I found it awhile ago.

My longest lens is a 200-400 which I'll use with a 1.4 extender. Nikon D3

I'll be in VT so I hope to get some clear sky shots over the Green Mountains.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing