Custom 3 way speaker

brad2525

Oct 30, 2016
I am making a custom 3-way front speaker. The question is what do you suggest my crossover points should be and what type of crossover should I use.
All 3 speakers are 4 ohms.
The Tweeter is a ribbon tweeter with a RMS is 25 watts and Usable Frequency Range 1900-18kHz
The midrange woofer has a RMS of 300 watts and Usable Frequency Range 95-9.5kHz
The sub woofer has a RMS of 200 watts and Usable Frequency Range 10-400 hz
I am powering it with a 575watt @ 4ohms per channel. So I need a crossover that can handle that much watts.

What are you suggestions on the crossover, I am thinking I might need to make one.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's a bit more complicated than that. You have to deal with sensitivities of the drivers and baffle compensation.

Given that info 300hz and 3000hz might be somewhat ideal, possibly, if all else is accounted for.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I am making a custom 3-way front speaker. The question is what do you suggest my crossover points should be and what type of crossover should I use.
All 3 speakers are 4 ohms.
The Tweeter is a ribbon tweeter with a RMS is 25 watts and Usable Frequency Range 1900-18kHz
The midrange woofer has a RMS of 300 watts and Usable Frequency Range 95-9.5kHz
The sub woofer has a RMS of 200 watts and Usable Frequency Range 10-400 hz
I am powering it with a 575watt @ 4ohms per channel. So I need a crossover that can handle that much watts.

What are you suggestions on the crossover, I am thinking I might need to make one.

Have you ever built a crossover before or any other device?

If you have made crossovers before, why not make a 3 way ACTIVE crossover and get four more channels of amplification? That would give you adjustability in the frequency of the crossover points, their slopes as well as the volumes to each of the amplifiers which would take differing driver sensitivities into account.

brad2525

Oct 30, 2016
I am thinking i didn't give all the information so here is more
The cavity of the speaker is limited to about 6" deep, 15" wide and anywhere from 40 to 60" tall. These dimensions are because i want it mounted into the wall. So the woofer is 8" and is the CDT-800CF. I was going to do a sealed enclosure because from what i understand the woofer hits 0 db around 200hz if it is not ported. I am not sure what to do about the midrange which is a DS18 PRO-NEO8 8" which i hooked up in a temp system and sound good but I am thinking it is not as high quality as i wanted so i might switch them out. The tweeter is the Dayton Audio AMT3-4 Air Motion Transformer Tweeter 4 Ohm, i know it is not the best tweeter and the AMTPro-4 is better but money is not unlimited. So right now i have already into it $600 dollars for the speakers and 300 for the amp. I still need to build the crossover and speaker box.

So I would like as high fidelity as possible on my budget.

Does this help? Do you have suggestions for a better Midrange woofer?

Active crossover would be a lot mroe from my research. If i went cheap on the active crossover then it was give a lot more distoration to my speakers. I have a crown amp which allows me to use it as a active crossover but i would have to buy 2 of them which would increase my cost another 300 dollars plus i would still need to limit the high of the mid range and have a inline crossover for the tweeter. So that is why i why I thought a passive crossover would be best.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing