Bob Dylan finally acknowledges Nobel Prize and will ‘absolutely’ attend ceremony.

Albert Von Schweikert

[Industry Expert]
Aug 22, 2016
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Bob Dylan is one of the worlds best poets IMHO, and this award comes with no surprise. As he is now 75, I would believe that his age and busy schedule was the cause of his delay in contacting the Nobel committee. I don't think that he was being arrogant, just slow. There are transcriptions of his song lyrics on the 'net. Not every song shows genius, but the few that are mediocre are greatly overshadowed by his best work. Read Positively Fourth Street, All Along The Watch Tower, etc. The man is a poetic genius.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I agree, Bob's a great poet/songwriter. I'm a huge fan, and the last thing he is not it's to be arrogant.

I know that Bob is a people's interaction lover, and he loves performing live and having direct connections with his audiences.
So he much prefers touring than be inside a music recording studio. And yes, Bob's is extremely busy in his love to be around people; that makes him an even greater true troubadour, poet, word's delivering master.

So, he took his time indeed because of a busy schedule.
[STRIKE]And I certainly did not imply of any arrogance from him. It's funny how we can interpret words that aren't written[/STRIKE].

Last edited:

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I agree, Bob's a great poet/songwriter. I'm a huge fan, and the last thing he is not it's to be arrogant.

I know that Bob is a people's interaction lover, and he loves performing live and having direct connections with his audiences.
So he much prefers touring than be inside a studio music recording. And yes, Bob's is extremely busy in his love to be around people; that makes him an even greater true troubadour, poet, word's delivering master.

So, he took his time indeed because of a busy schedule. And I certainly did not imply of any arrogance from him. It's funny how we can interpret words that aren't written.
I think Albert was referring to what the article said and not what you wrote:)

In which case, I can’t help but ask, why the long public silence about what it means? Jean-Paul Sartre famously declined the award in 1964, but Dylan has these past weeks seemed intent on simply refusing to acknowledge its existence, so much so that one of the normally tight-lipped Nobel committee labelled him “impolite and arrogant.”

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I think Albert was referring to what the article said and not what you wrote:)

In which case, I can’t help but ask, why the long public silence about what it means? Jean-Paul Sartre famously declined the award in 1964, but Dylan has these past weeks seemed intent on simply refusing to acknowledge its existence, so much so that one of the normally tight-lipped Nobel committee labelled him “impolite and arrogant.”

You are right, my apologies to Albert.

Albert again is right about Bob Dylan's busy schedule, plus Bob is a humble guy, not in a rush either, and must have some great feedback from his close friends.
Also, there was some objection from some people of that committee regarding the Literature recipient for the 2016 Nobel prize. Bob gave them time to reconsider? :b

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/dylan-tells-swedish-academy-he-accepts-nobel-prize-1.3137529

The 75-year-old singer-songwriter was awarded the prize on Oct. 13 "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

Dylan at first was silent after the announcement, and a member of the Swedish Academy called the silence "impolite and arrogant."

Dylan has accepted numerous awards over the years, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom, for which he attended a White House ceremony in 2012.
But he also has a history of taking his time acknowledging them.

________

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/nobel-academy-calls-dylan-arrogant-1.3817242

Per Wastberg said Dylan's lack of reaction was predictable but disrespectful nonetheless. He was quoted telling the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter in Saturday's edition: "One can say that it is impolite and arrogant. He is who he is."

I think that guy, Per Wastberg, is an impatient person with a set of rules that aren't too accommodating/flexible.
He's quick to give a judgement; methinks it's him who is "impolite and arrogant". Who is he, who's that guy?

* And again, my apologies to Albert; Leif you are absolutely correct.

Last edited:

Albert Von Schweikert

[Industry Expert]
Aug 22, 2016
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Northstar, I have deep respect for your opinion and was glad to see your post about Dylans Nobel prize. When I mentioned "arrogance," I was reffering to one of the Nobel prize committee members who told the press that Dylan was arrogant by not responding sooner. I know that you must like Robert Zimmerman (aka Bob Dylan) as much as I do!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I certainly do sir; Bob's big in my heart.

And thanks to Leif for his gentle way in his absolute correctness of what you just said above; my sincere apologies for my slight drifting mind, a momentary lapse.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
Northstar, I have deep respect for your opinion and was glad to see your post about Dylans Nobel prize. When I mentioned "arrogance," I was reffering to one of the Nobel prize committee members who told the press that Dylan was arrogant by not responding sooner. I know that you must like Robert Zimmerman (aka Bob Dylan) as much as I do!
+!

Timeless.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
You are right, my apologies to Albert.

Albert again is right about Bob Dylan's busy schedule, plus Bob is a humble guy, not in a rush either, and must have some great feedback from his close friends.
Also, there was some objection from some people of that committee regarding the Literature recipient for the 2016 Nobel prize. Bob gave them time to reconsider? :b

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/dylan-tells-swedish-academy-he-accepts-nobel-prize-1.3137529

Per Wastberg said Dylan's lack of reaction was predictable but disrespectful nonetheless. He was quoted telling the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter in Saturday's edition: "One can say that it is impolite and arrogant. He is who he is."

I think that guy, Per Wastberg, is an impatient person with a set of rules that aren't too accommodating/flexible.
He's quick to give a judgement; methinks it's him who is "impolite and arrogant". Who is he, who's that guy?

Well, that is not exactly what he said. When Wästberg got the question what he would think if Dylan would not respond in several weeks then he would think it would be impolite and arrogant. The Swedish Academy directly after that said to the press that it is Dylans own choice if he want to accept the prize or not and they will have no opinions about the artists choice.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well, that is not exactly what he said. When Wästberg got the question what he would think if Dylan would not respond in several weeks then he would think it would be impolite and arrogant. The Swedish Academy directly after that said to the press that it is Dylans own choice if he want to accept the prize or not and they will have no opinions about the artists choice.

Oh, good to know; that was just an assumption, ..."IF". That's still Wastberg's own line of thinking. No everyone follow that line, and the Swedish academy committee responded to it too, in proper and free form. Bob Dylan's is a free man, he doesn't have to serve anyone, and even less pressure.

Anyway, all is good now; Bob wasn't rushing, he took his usual time and two weeks later he gave sign of life, and six weeks before the official ceremony.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing