Power cord and it affect ?

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Does using a small tap to regulate water pressure to levels a kid can manipulate safely in your house when the pipes distributing the water all around cities and houses have huge pressure in them make sense to you?

Yes, but not when using that for a comparison. That last 3 foot of power cord is not regulating the voltage anywhere in the line that comes from the breaker.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Yes, but not when using that for a comparison. That last 3 foot of power cord is not regulating the voltage anywhere in the line that comes from the breaker.

OK, than think of it as the water filter at the tap just before you drink it :)

Oct 15, 2016
From the get go one should run a 20amp line & breaker so that there is no resistance to that "City Water Pressure" getting up to that teeny weeny hose that fastens to your water filter or maybe 2 lines ? Depending on your needs. I haven't experimented with the cryo house wiring as of yet to comment at that level but certainly a hospital grade outlet makes a positive difference.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

The point is you believe the last feet can't make a difference...

So by your own thinking, your tap shouldn't be able to work.

So the underlying point is that this is erroneous thinking.

And in fact, the last few feet are probably the most important things and things you actually have control over.

Whitigir

Oct 12, 2016
Hey Whitgir, IMO power is just as important as the room and the components. Power flows through your entire system for good or bad. IMO if you want to improve power you need to start from the wall socket and work back to the equipment for best effect. I would start by replacing the wall socket with a socket from MIT, Mapleshade, or PS Audio. You can get one for less than $100 and it will impact EVERYTHING you plug into it. Next would come a power conditioner (PLC) and brands like Mapleshade, Monster, Torus, or Furhman come to mind. Again everything you plug in will be impacted. Now you can start with power cords. I would replace the source first, then the preamp, and finally the amp (starting at the source and working downstream. Brands like Mpaleshade, Signal Cable and Pangea come to mind. Keep in mind that you need to audition for yourself. Use a vendor with a 30 day money back guarantee like audio advisor, mapleshaderecords.com, or thecableco.com.

Here is an article you might like:

http://mrgcustom.com/press/Electronic House Jan 2016 Issue - MRG Theater.pdf

Thanks much, excellent read

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good morning to all. 16hz lover, if you would like to experiment with power cords, I have a plan which will not cost you a dime. I happen to have a very revealing system. If you would like, we we GTG, bring over about 7 IEC type stock PC's. We can start with the stock IC's throughout the entire rig, moving up to an all upgraded PC rig. If you notice a difference, then you will know for yourself. If you don't, then at least you can walk away knowing that you have the ability to save some money on your rig. We'll have some fun and listen to some good tunes while we are here.

I'll get in touch with you soon about doing this.

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello,

I have seen and observe the improvements and differences sound characteristic from materials, copper, silver, gold, and USB cables....but does Powercord affect the sound overall ? How much differences in magnitude is Powercord VS USB cables vs headphones cables. Thanks!
The answer to this is very simple. The mechanisms behind what made you think those other cables make a difference, guarantee that you will also hear improvements in power cables. So unless you are open to questioning on the former, you should run and acquire premium power cables! ;) :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hello,

I have seen and observe the improvements and differences sound characteristic from materials, copper, silver, gold, and USB cables....

Hi,

What are the improvements and sound characteristic's differences that YOU did observe (ears and perhaps measurements too...) from those various materials you just mentioned?
{USB and HDMI cables are the most important ones...IMO, and speaker wires.}

Thanks in advance with best welcome cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

Whitigir

Oct 12, 2016
Hi,

What are the improvements and sound characteristic's differences did YOU observe (ears and perhaps measurements too...) from those various materials you just mentioned?

Thanks in advance with best welcome cheers,
Bob

To me there are obvious differences from

1/ stock and common USB cables:
Physically: stock and common USB cables are all 28 AWG sizes, with very rarely anything of 26 AWG and 24 AWG OFC copper. The 28 AWG is the worse, it loses out many micro details and hence reduced soundstage. The other 2 don't really help much either, but with the 24 AWG there should be some more air and spaces.

2/ UPOCC copper as being more pure and some can have pretty large sizes if you could find them: 20 and 24 AWG. They offer warmer tonal body and micro details with very lust/smooth and vivid trebles, deep and powerful bass lines

3/ UPOCC silver is better than common audio grade silver 24AWG or larger: both carry similar characteristic with more balanced bass, still deep and more controlled, sharper line and faster attack. A lot more micro details with vocal being more forward, and so the soundstage is the largest and most expansive. However, the UPOCC silver has smoother trebles lines while the lower tier sounds a bit more harsh and sharp.

4/ UPOCC silver with 1% gold crystal: this has the bass tonal energy of copper, the bass lines of silver and the airy speedy overall soundstage with slightly sharper trebles lines than UPOCC copper but still smoother and more lush than UPOCC silver. This is the best of them all.

To look for different build of the above USB cables are very expensive. I was able to compare and observe as I DIY these cables. I am unsure if Powerline can really affect the system much, and this is where I am still reading on and need more feed backs before I sink my money into making them lol....

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
The answer to this is very simple. The mechanisms behind what made you think those other cables make a difference, guarantee that you will also hear improvements in power cables. So unless you are open to questioning on the former, you should run and acquire premium power cables! ;) :)

Simple? I have no idea what you are referring to by "mechanisms". Is this an engineering mechanism, an electrical mechanism, a hearing mechanism, an if you build it they will come mechanism??
I agree with your conclusion, that you should get premium power cables but no need to run, I can send you a link if you need one, NP.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
but does Powercord affect the sound overall ? How much differences in magnitude is Powercord

Give a DIY build a try. I made my own Power Cord inspired by a Chris VenHaus design.

I used the cord on my SS amp and we heard a much better extension (both bass and treble).

Remember to be cautious when connecting things and also when building the cord: it's Mains AC after all.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I make cords periodically for new/different/changes in things I'm working on, and I can say the VH Audio flavors are very good, comparable to most aftermarket cords.

Oct 15, 2016
To me there are obvious differences from

1/ stock and common USB cables:
Physically: stock and common USB cables are all 28 AWG sizes, with very rarely anything of 26 AWG and 24 AWG OFC copper. The 28 AWG is the worse, it loses out many micro details and hence reduced soundstage. The other 2 don't really help much either, but with the 24 AWG there should be some more air and spaces.

2/ UPOCC copper as being more pure and some can have pretty large sizes if you could find them: 20 and 24 AWG. They offer warmer tonal body and micro details with very lust/smooth and vivid trebles, deep and powerful bass lines

3/ UPOCC silver is better than common audio grade silver 24AWG or larger: both carry similar characteristic with more balanced bass, still deep and more controlled, sharper line and faster attack. A lot more micro details with vocal being more forward, and so the soundstage is the largest and most expansive. However, the UPOCC silver has smoother trebles lines while the lower tier sounds a bit more harsh and sharp.

4/ UPOCC silver with 1% gold crystal: this has the bass tonal energy of copper, the bass lines of silver and the airy speedy overall soundstage with slightly sharper trebles lines than UPOCC copper but still smoother and more lush than UPOCC silver. This is the best of them all..
To look for different build of the above USB cables are very expensive. I was able to compare and observe as I DIY these cables. I am unsure if Powerline can really affect the system much, and this is where I am still reading on and need more feed backs before I sink my money into making them lol....

I agree with these findings. The copper/silver/gold I use is great! Put it in a cotton or silk tubing for covering

Whitigir

Oct 12, 2016
Give a DIY build a try. I made my own Power Cord inspired by a Chris VenHaus design.

I used the cord on my SS amp and we heard a much better extension (both bass and treble).

Remember to be cautious when connecting things and also when building the cord: it's Mains AC after all.

Thank you, I am giving this a shot by using UPOCC wires using VH advises. Hopefully it turns into my favor (any improvements will count)....otherwise. I may have a whole bunches of wires to use later on ...or a fancy looking Cord....LoL.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Thank you, I am giving this a shot by using UPOCC wires using VH advises. Hopefully it turns into my favor (any improvements will count)....otherwise. I may have a whole bunches of wires to use later on ...or a fancy looking Cord....LoL.

You might be surprised (or not since now you know even USB cables can have an effect). I tried my own design on my SS amp and it was flabbergasting.

My design was inspired by Chris's design for two-prong AC power cords, but it's not the same: I used two solid core, double-shielded for each line and they are in twisted pair after insulation, which makes the cord quite stiff, but the results are amazing.

Whitigir

Oct 12, 2016
You might be surprised (or not since now you know even USB cables can have an effect). I tried my own design on my SS amp and it was flabbergasting.

My design was inspired by Chris's design for two-prong AC power cords, but it's not the same: I used two solid core, double-shielded for each line and they are in twisted pair after insulation, which makes the cord quite stiff, but the results are amazing.

Got all my answers, i will be trying my own DIY recipe with new UPOCC wires. Hopefully, I can observe it :D. Otherwise, it is another lesson, and I love to learn new things

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Got all my answers, i will be trying my own DIY recipe with new UPOCC wires. Hopefully, I can observe it :D. Otherwise, it is another lesson, and I love to learn new things

Let us know the results!

Whitigir

Oct 12, 2016
Let us know the results!

So I made my DIY Powercord using everything I have gathered. It has a lot of good stuff in it, and is pricy....however, it will be here and staying for a while :), wires and cord technology don't have that lightning progressive speed.

I was able to listen to it for only a brief moment, but it was very impressive. The vocal came more forward , soundstage is cleaned up nicely, there was "grains" in the further back ground, now it is gone, bass is more controlled, Dynamics is noticeably improved across the board, micro details are more revealing. All in all is very impressive.

From all the cables that I upgrade, I can tell one thing is that anyone who don't believe in cables either never had the chance to audition a "real quality" cables, be that USB or Powercord, many of the manufacturers are aiming toward "profit", so to really witness the amazing feast of cables, one will have to spend a hell lot, and "have to know" where and what to get. Because of this, there are a lot of snake oil out there. People who have auditioned and couldn't hear anything were either "scammed" or didn't pay enough to get a real good one, people who did pay a lot and did not got scammed but couldn't hear any improvements ? Get your ears check....or there is something horribly wrong in their system

By the way....it is not burned-in yet. Gotta give about 250 hours and see, though the improvements were immediate

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
So I made my DIY Powercord using everything I have gathered. It has a lot of good stuff in it, and is pricy....however, it will be here and staying for a while :), wires and cord technology don't have that lightning progressive speed.

I was able to listen to it for only a brief moment, but it was very impressive. The vocal came more forward , soundstage is cleaned up nicely, there was "grains" in the further back ground, now it is gone, bass is more controlled, Dynamics is noticeably improved across the board, micro details are more revealing. All in all is very impressive.

From all the cables that I upgrade, I can tell one thing is that anyone who don't believe in cables either never had the chance to audition a "real quality" cables, be that USB or Powercord, many of the manufacturers are aiming toward "profit", so to really witness the amazing feast of cables, one will have to spend a hell lot, and "have to know" where and what to get.

By the way....it is not burned-in yet. Gotta give about 250 hours and see, though the improvements were immediate

Congrats! Yes, give them some time too so that heat and mechanical effects settle.

So now you know for yourself that in audiophilia we can't take anything for granted, certainly not power (amps are modulation of it) and not even 'digital' as there are D/A processes several places and hence where there is 'A', it is susceptible to interference.

One more possibility though: some systems are impervious to these changes, but I doubt they are common. Maybe they will be more common in the future.

Doesn't mean either than very costly cables are not more effective. But at least then we can consider diminishing returns.

The problem arises in forums and elsewhere when some people are adamant these things 'cannot make a difference' but they won't give it a try for themselves at home. These people make a mockery of real investigation (which is the basis of science) supposedly trying to save others 'from buying snake oil', but in the end, they aren't at all.

Those who can afford the higher-priced cables, go for it! Those who can DIY, go for it too!

As an aside, I'll let you search on diyaudio another such controversial thing, a thread which was closed because of the trolls as usual, it's called "DAC - Rasmussen Effect". If you have a DAC test-bed or some cheap one for experiments, give it a try.

If you want to continue to explore Power, there's an expert here in Caelin Gabriel. I also can point you to a great thread over on CA about it and its ramifications if you want to build more extremely useful things for Audiophilia, let me know.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing