DaveC's RMAF 2016 Best In Show: Austin Acoustic

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Everyone has different tastes though... in the Austin system I found the blare of the trumpet to be very realistic, though somewhat hard and almost painful. I used to be in jazz band in school, I played alto sax and sat right in front of the trumpets, and they ARE loud! For me, the very realistic sound of the trumpet was very enjoyable, for others it might not be, but it WAS realistic!

This is the kind of sound that I was referring to in my post. I don't pretend that my system can reproduce it to its fullest measure (it can't), but on some recordings it goes a long way towards that, which is important to me. On the other hand, I have heard too many systems where these sounds seem polished, almost sanitized -- 'pleasant' but unrealistic. And that is not enjoyable to me.

On the other hand, depending on distance from the performer(s) and the acoustics of the venue, live brass can sound smooth as well. Yet a system should be able to reproduce the entire spectrum of sounds.

xero

Nov 3, 2016
Here is another view on this room from Mike on Audioshark: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=10634&page=5&p=182785&viewfull=1#post182785

Q: How did the Austin Acoustics room sound?

A: It was ok. Using my AG's as a reference, I much prefer my setup. But it was great to see horns and tubes. Beautiful stuff.

Amirm,

your quote is fascinating to me. It makes me wonder what the underling agenda is. in the 12 now 13 pages of this thread you have made several references (links) to others that support the way that you feel about the system that Austin Acoustic brought to RMAF. I think that we all acknowledge that the magical art that we call high-end audio is subjective .... if you have a feeling or observation about a piece of equipment or system just a simple statement about your observations is all that it needed. Of course context is important so that we can place the proper weight to the comment. By context i mean the system that you have built as your reference and the type of music you most frequently listen to. That in and of itself goes a longways towards giving us an understanding of your preferences.

Since i am now an official member, all be it a junior member, i will start with me so, here is full disclosure:

My audio journey started with
1. Vanderstien IIc's, Audio Research D90b, Audio Research SP-8, Pioneer pd-65
2. Vienna Acoustics Beethoven, nelson pass aleph 5, Audio Research SP-8, bow technologies zz-8,
3. Vienna Acoustics Mahler, Pass Labs Aleph 2, Bent Audio 102MKII passive pre, 47 Labs Flat Fish (modified to run on battery), ackDack! dac (modified to run on battery)
4. Cain & Cain Single horn Ben w/ stereo subs's, Bent Audio 102MKII passive pre, Pass Labs Aleph 3 (modified), 47 Labs Flat Fish (modified to run on battery), ackDack! doc (modified to run on battery)

My musical quest has taken me towards simplicity. I have been on the the horn quest because of the dynamics and realism.

As far as music is concerned i listen to things that are on the eclectic side of things. Tuvan throat singing to Dolly Partton and anything in between.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It IS shocking that someone would prefer their own system over a sub-optimal show installation... ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing