6H30's--Are the more expensive/megabuck versions worth the money?

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
I am in Bethesda Maryland. I will need more than a pair. How many new ones do you have?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am in Bethesda Maryland. I will need more than a pair. How many new ones do you have?

How many do you need? I will have to check to see what I have.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I thought Some posts have indicated that EBs aren’t as good as DR NOS.? This is not a consensus?

How 'good' they are kinda depends on the equipment they go in. Overall, I found the more resolving is the gear the more likely the DRs improve it. Not so much in a CJPremier 140, more so in ARC. I have them in my Ref 10 Phono. Imo the differences between EB and DR are not huge, others have their experience. I have not heard them in a REX2. DR does have long lifespan.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Sorry for the belated comment, but 6H6 tube is not a good substitute for 6H30. You may like the result - I stopped making predictions long ago - but the circuit will not work as it should, as these have very different characteristics.

Good quality NOS 6H30 tubes can still be found on ebay. One just has to be careful.

Victor Khomenko
Balanced Audio Technology

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry for the belated comment, but 6H6 tube is not a good substitute for 6H30. You may like the result - I stopped making predictions long ago - but the circuit will not work as it should, as these have very different characteristics. (...)

The 6H30 is extremely linear and the Audio Research REF40 has extremely low distortion for a tube preamplifier - I remember measuring it and was really impressed. Probably using other pin compatible tubes in the preamplifier will result in more distortion, making it sound different and maybe louder. Some people can like it.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Most importantly, such haphazard substitution might wreck havoc with the circuit's operating DC parameters, due to the large differences in the internal parameters. Some circuits, particularly those relying on NFB, might be less sensitive, but others will exhibit strong effect. In some cases the unit's external characteristics will be negatively affected.

Victor Khomenko

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Now in 2021 is there even any stock of 6H30DR's left anywhere? If there is I can't find it. I have a complete set in my Rex2 as those are the only tubes that have ever been run in it. Its going to be time for replacements one day and I'm not seeing that they are really in stock anywhere??

George

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Now in 2021 is there even any stock of 6H30DR's left anywhere? If there is I can't find it. I have a complete set in my Rex2 as those are the only tubes that have ever been run in it. Its going to be time for replacements one day and I'm not seeing that they are really in stock anywhere??

George

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Hi George,

For the product of your caliber I would only recommend using the original NOS tubes. They are still available on ebay. There is at least one reliable seller there, many of our customers bought the tubes from him, they are legit - I looked at them at their request. I think his price is also very good. I presume he still has them.

Victor Khomenko

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Their website states "Email me when back in stock" and has for the better part of the past year.
Sorry.. saw their message in stock and ready to ship ?!? I hate when they do that.. Did you ask Steve or victor at BAT ? They usually stock up or buy out all the NOS tubes they use.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Hi George,

For the product of your caliber I would only recommend using the original NOS tubes. They are still available on ebay. There is at least one reliable seller there, many of our customers bought the tubes from him, they are legit - I looked at them at their request. I think his price is also very good. I presume he still has them.

Victor Khomenko
If I upgrade this spring to the Rex3 can it be ordered with NOS tubes? Will the Rex3 still benefit from NOS tubes or was it voiced with newer tubes in mind?

Thanks for the advise and for making such a great preamp!

George

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Unfortunately, we no longer sell or use in production the NOS tubes, we only have some left for internal consumption, so your best bet is to buy them from some still available source. My recommendation is to get them while they are still around. Yes, Rex 3 will still benefit from them. The current production tubes are still nowhere near the quality level of the old ones. We still reject too many of them.

Thank you for your kind words!

Victor

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
There are several ebay sellers. Hanoitubes’ prices are ridiculous on everything they sell, including the 6H30 DRs. There is one seller who is charging $180 per tube.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
A client recently approached me - he was considering tubes from one ebay seller. They looked almost OK to me, but something was still a bit off. He eventually discovered they were fakes. Please be careful when buying such expensive tubes from unknown sources.

Victor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing