Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: 6H30's--Are the more expensive/megabuck versions worth the money?

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    68
    Mobiusman, you mentioned something that caught my eye: 10,000-hour durability of these tubes. This is not what ARC told me! They claim 6H30P only last up to 4000 hrs in their preamps and have to be replaced with a new set at that point. Did you find this not to be true? Where does the info about 10000-hrs durability come from?
    Transport: Ultra High-End PC;
    DAC: Ayre DX-5DSD (modded);
    Preamp: ARC Reference Anniversary (modded beyond recognition);
    Power amps: Ayre MX-R Twenty (modded);
    Speakers: Monitor Audio PL300 (mercilessly modded);
    Subwoofers: a pair of REL Stentor III (radically modded);
    Cables: Audioquest Dragon, Wild Blue Yonder, Wild Wood.
    Power: dedicated line+a pair of AQ Niagara 5000AP.

  2. #42
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,785
    Quote Originally Posted by ayreman View Post
    Mobiusman, you mentioned something that caught my eye: 10,000-hour durability of these tubes. This is not what ARC told me! They claim 6H30P only last up to 4000 hrs in their preamps and have to be replaced with a new set at that point. Did you find this not to be true? Where does the info about 10000-hrs durability come from?
    Tube life time is mainly due to cathode evaporation, that depends on the amount of emitted charge. Charge equates current multiplied by time, so durability depends a lot on the operational parameters of the tube. IMHO you should address this question to ARC. I have seen a REF 40 with original tubes with almost 7000 hours playing perfectly and noise free, but once the owner installed new 6h30's the preamplifier sounded much better. I measured these well used tubes and transconductance was still in the good zone.

    I have read that ARC advised tube life times are not determined by the operational life time, but by the time that tubes are not operating at their best sonic capabilities anymore.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Metronome Kalista / Kondo KSL DAC, Soundlab A1 Px's , EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, ARC REF40, VTL Siegfried II, TA Opus MM2 speaker and signal, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    68
    I have recently replaced Sovtek 6H30 in my ARC Ref Ann with Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin and I don't like what I'm hearing. The bass is muddy and lacks the punch the Sovtek 6H30 used to provide. The highs are muffled. They are in 80 hrs now. Will this end soon or are they like this because of the gold on the pins?
    Transport: Ultra High-End PC;
    DAC: Ayre DX-5DSD (modded);
    Preamp: ARC Reference Anniversary (modded beyond recognition);
    Power amps: Ayre MX-R Twenty (modded);
    Speakers: Monitor Audio PL300 (mercilessly modded);
    Subwoofers: a pair of REL Stentor III (radically modded);
    Cables: Audioquest Dragon, Wild Blue Yonder, Wild Wood.
    Power: dedicated line+a pair of AQ Niagara 5000AP.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    25
    Could it be that matching of the tubes is less than optimal?
    Haven't noticed much of difference (down to level of none) between Sovteks and EH. If I was forced to tell, I would say Sovtek more PRAT, EH slightly smoother, take your choice. I suppose they are from the same production facility anyway.

  5. #45
    [Industry Expert] Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by ayreman View Post
    I have recently replaced Sovtek 6H30 in my ARC Ref Ann with Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin and I don't like what I'm hearing. The bass is muddy and lacks the punch the Sovtek 6H30 used to provide. The highs are muffled. They are in 80 hrs now. Will this end soon or are they like this because of the gold on the pins?
    I won't venture a cause, but ime that's how the EH sound. Small tubes don't take much time to break-in; I would not expect what you're hearing from the EH to change.
    See my Mahler thread here.

  6. #46
    Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    704
    I heard that KR will release a KR version of 6H30.
    Bespoke Audio Silver TVC passive preamp, Bent Audio AVC-1 full-balanced autoformer passive preamp, MC2 S1400 monoblocks, Magico S5 speaker, CAS with MSB Platinum IV Plus dac, MSB UMT Plus & Signature Transport Powerbase, PLiXiR and Furman isolation transformers.

  7. #47
    I don’t know if I have ever liked the sound of an EH tube. The 6SN7s are horrible as are their 5U4Gs (or equivalent).
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

  8. #48
    hello to all.. I am an owner of Trulife Audio's TLA 'ATHENA' as my main preamplifier that uses 6H30 tubes.. having deal many years with it I have bought and roll many pairs of 6H30's.. perhaps that tube is the most often rebranded and faked.. so after all those years of living and audition those tubes I have examined them very carefully and found the way to distinguish the fakes 6H30's (that is rebranded new production EH or Sovteks) from the original old Russians 6H30 DR.. here is my article, every friend of this forum can have a look..

  9. #49
    [Industry Expert] Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Manos_Bits View Post
    hello to all.. I am an owner of Trulife Audio's TLA 'ATHENA' as my main preamplifier that uses 6H30 tubes.. having deal many years with it I have bought and roll many pairs of 6H30's.. perhaps that tube is the most often rebranded and faked.. so after all those years of living and audition those tubes I have examined them very carefully and found the way to distinguish the fakes 6H30's (that is rebranded new production EH or Sovteks) from the original old Russians 6H30 DR.. here is my article, every friend of this forum can have a look..
    I'd seen your article before and found it quite well done. Thanks!
    See my Mahler thread here.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by tima View Post
    I'd seen your article before and found it quite well done. Thanks!
    thanks for quote!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. Game of Thrones definitely worth watching
    By Orb in forum Television Programs
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 10-27-2016, 04:50 AM
  2. Is a rewiring upgrade on a Rega RB250 worth it?
    By Johnny Vinyl in forum Tonearms
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 02:07 PM
  3. Price, Value, Worth and COGS
    By Alan Sircom in forum General Audio Forum
    Replies: 159
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 01:03 PM
  4. Hello from Fort Worth, Texas
    By arthurs in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 09:53 PM
  5. What's Best CD? or should I say What's the most expensive CD?
    By Ki Choi in forum Pop/Rock/Blues/R&B Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •