Master Built-What are Owners Hearing That They Didn't Hear With Other Cables

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hahaha. Ahhhhh, well. Now I'm just so confused.

Don't be confused lol. I remember when we received the first set of Reference cables from MasterBuilt. At that time they were called Standard. We put them in and were blown away. The performance vs their price point was just unbelievable to me. Before we had the MB cables we had used many other manufacturers cables but I enjoyed the Standards so much more. They just seemed so natural. Then MB told us they were developing a better cable called Signature. I never once thought to myself listening to the Standards that I needed a better cable. But the Signatures came and once again I was blown away. At this point I'm not even going to talk about the Ultra's:cool:

I believe Joe is correct that the Reference cables need a few days to settle in and you should start to be able to hear their true sound come through. Glad your having fun and enjoy!

Leif

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Lmao

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

Hi Leif, one question. Did the "formula" for any of the lines change over time. For example, if someone I know has older Signature cables labeled "Von Schweickert Audio", will they be the same Signature cables sold today as Master Built? Or has the secret sauce within the lines changed over time, a.k.a. silent revisions?

Thanks!

sMhWT0S.jpg

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Leif, one question. Did the "formula" for any of the lines change over time. For example, if someone I know has older Signature cables labeled "Von Schweickert Audio", will they be the same Signature cables sold today as Master Built? Or has the secret sauce within the lines changed over time, a.k.a. silent revisions?

Thanks!

View attachment 40751

The Cables that say MasterBuilt on them have a new formulation and construction geometry. MB believes the new formulation to be more natural and true to the source. They are very big on trying not to alter(add or subtract) from the sound. So many cable change the way speakers and electronics sound. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact there are many speakers and electronics that benefit from this if say the speakers are bright or the electronics are dark. It's all about synergy. The MB cables might not be right for all systems. But I haven't heard one yet that didn't impress me. I had a blast listening to Steve's system a little over a week ago. Please let me know what your findings are though. I love to hear about peoples experiences and it helps me learn more. Sometimes mixing the MB cables doesn't work very well especially if Silver is in the equation. But again, it's all about synergy. Thanks for sharing your experience and I look forward to hearing more:)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I should have gone in to a little more detail. The new wire that is used in the MB Signature is significantly more expensive and far more pure single crystal cooper made here in the U.S.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Good to know. I could have borrowed the older Signature series interconnect for comparison, but I won't bother if they're outdated. But I am wondering how much closer a Signature might come to the Ultra. It looks like the Signature is still a copper wire and only the Ultra gets you in to the alloy wire. So I have to imagine the Signature is still a ways off?

The Ultra is good, Leif. Very, very, very good. Have I mentioned that I like the Ultra yet? :) . And I should mention also that the Reference is better in many ways than the other cables I have in house currently. I just feel its warmer signature is not the right direction for me.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Good to know. I could have borrowed the older Signature series interconnect for comparison, but I won't bother if they're outdated. But I am wondering how much closer a Signature might come to the Ultra. It looks like the Signature is still a copper wire and only the Ultra gets you in to the alloy wire. So I have to imagine the Signature is still a ways off?

The Ultra is good, Leif. Very, very, very good. Have I mentioned that I like the Ultra yet? :) . And I should mention also that the Reference is better in many ways than the other cables I have in house currently. I just feel its warmer signature is not the right direction for me.

It may not be. But give it a couple days to settle to see. I don't know how many hours break in are on the Reference cables you have. But they need a lot. The one down side is how long they take to fully break in. If they are sounding warm I have a feeling they need more time on them. 800 to a 1000 hours for full break in. Many times I will mix a Signature in with the Reference and watch the system change. Or just one set of Ultra interconnects:p

The old Signatures were still very good. If you have a chance to try them I would. I'm running Reference USB, interconnects, and power cords on one of my systems at home and have the Signature speaker cables. I love it! All the MB cables intermix well.

sandrock

Jun 21, 2018
Sequim Washington
Hello to you all.
I am new to this forum and joined today.
I am excited as I have just installed a pair of MasterBuilt Reference Bi-Wire cables into my system.
I am sure you can understand that like the rest of you, I am blown away with the way my system sounds with the inclusion of the new cables.

The distortion has totally diminished and the new found clarity and transparency is amazing.

I need to give a big shout-out to Joe Hakim of Eigen Audio here in the SF Bay Area. He was the one who encouraged me to at least give them a personal listen in my own system. So I had them in for just a little over 2 weeks and in that time it was all it took to decide that I needed to purchase the MasterBuilt cables.

My order was placed through Eigen Audio/Joe Hakim here in the extended S.F. Bay Area for a pair of Reference "Bi-Wire" Speaker cables 2.5 Meter long. Joe strikes me to be very knowledgeable person who has a deep passion for high-end audio.
He is a very nice and comfortable person to deal with. I am pleased that I was able to do business with Joe, especially as he is the MasterBuilt dealer for my area.

It would seem that MasterBuilt might-be having some supply issues due in part because of the growing demand which Damon mentioned that they were addressing. Hence the extended delivery time frame of 11 weeks. I understand that AVS wants to lower that down to a much more manageable time frame in the not to distant future. A big part of the timeframe issue is that each cable is made to order here in the USA and when you include all the different wire end combinations it can cause times to stretch out.

I was told by Leif at AVS that they wanted to hook the cables up to their cable 'cooker' and run them over the weekend so they would be broken-in at least form AVS's stand point before I received them. Which no doubt added to the longer shipping time.

So lets cut to the chase!

Was it worth the money I spent for the speaker cables?
First my wife thinks I am crazy but that is another story for another time!
Deep down, I know she still love me even with my current Audio peccadillos.

Anyway I could not wait to hook them up and get started in the final 'break-in' procedure. After opening the box, (it felt just like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one) and what with my somewhat understanding wife handing me an adult beverage, so I was off to the races......

I unhooked my current wires and then addressed the MB's with an electronic cleaner and conditioner designed for use in the Audio arena.
My ends were all Banana Plugs.
I also did the same procedure to the amp and speaker terminals as well.

The very first thing I noticed 'cold' just out of the box was that the bass was so much better. It was richer, fuller, went deeper and there was so much more presence to the bottom end without ever being over blown..... Wow!!
But the nice thing is that it is not the bloomy, sloppy, tubby kind of bass so many speakers put out.
Just bass that was not there before with the other speaker wires.

By contrast, the mid-range took on a much bigger 3 dimensional picture with a much larger center channel image. I find overall its like that the wires were not there and that I am only listing to the Amp direct without any distortion that other cables produce, its amazing!

Everything seemed to be larger and spaced out between and outside of the speakers. The instruments and the voices had their own space and weren’t blurred into the background. And the big difference is all the inner detail and transparency they give to the sound. Very tube-like is so many ways.

All I can say is that 'one' just needs to experience this for themselves to fully grasp what these cables are capable of producing.
And remember what I am listening to is my first impressions, 'cold' right out of the box.
All it can do is go up from here!

Let me digress for a moment.
Joe was kind enough to lend me a Reference bi-wire pair from his stock so I could take some personal time to fully listen/evaluate them in my home system. This I know you will agree is the "acid-bath" test.
I had them in my system for a little over 2 weeks and even in that time did not want to give them back!!!

So the next best thing for me not to have withdraw, was to order a pair and go forward from there.

Back to the sound:
At the moment the part that still needs to fully cure is the top end. As those who have already gone through what I am now going through, will say the same thing. The top end will start to settle down as I continue to break them in. By contrast, Joe's pair sounded wonderful from top to bottom with only a couple of days to settle in to my system and relax. It is the inherent nature of cables and the electron energy coursing through them for them to come in to full compliance.

So after listening to them for a couple of hours I turned down the volume and let the Aurender play all night and it continues to play right now as I type this article. This morning I increased the volume and even from last night, I have noticed an improvement with the top end. The overall sound is beginning to relax.

I will follow up as things progress, but I am very pleased with the purchase and kudos to Joe and Eigen Audio for pointing me in the right direction. You are the best Joe!

I now have about 175 hours on them and they are starting to really settle down.
All I can say is that it sounds like there is no speaker cables in my system at all and the Amp is directly connected to the speakers.

My next selection will be for 2 pair of MasterBuilt XLR cables but first I need to digest the speaker cables. Who knows perhaps Xmas!

Happy listening my friends, happy listening.......

Cheers,
Ian

IMG_0093.jpg

Last edited:

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
Hi Ian.
Combining the MB ICs with the SCs is the way to go, but wait until you hear what MB power cords will do for your system!

Best,
Robert

sandrock

Jun 21, 2018
Sequim Washington
Hello Robert,

I am in full agreement with you with regards to having/using the interconnects to round out the system.

In fact Joe Hakim of Eigen Audio also provided me with 2 pair of Reference XLR cables to try in my system at the same time.
Joe is a great guy and so very dedicated to the improvement of the Hi-Fi hobby and is very willing and able to help a fellow Audiophiles.

As I have said before, "once one has heard better its hard/impossible to go back!" and I am sure you will agree with me on that statement?

At the moment I have a full loom of PS Audio Power cables, however the MB Power cables are on my mind and I would suggest that they 3rd on my list of improvements and if they do the same as the SC's have done to my system I will be totally blown away.

Cheers,
Ian

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hello Robert,

I am in full agreement with you with regards to having/using the interconnects to round out the system.

In fact Joe Hakim of Eigen Audio also provided me with 2 pair of Reference XLR cables to try in my system at the same time.
Joe is a great guy and so very dedicated to the improvement of the Hi-Fi hobby and is very willing and able to help a fellow Audiophiles.

As I have said before, "once one has heard better its hard/impossible to go back!" and I am sure you will agree with me on that statement?

At the moment I have a full loom of PS Audio Power cables, however the MB Power cables are on my mind and I would suggest that they 3rd on my list of improvements and if they do the same as the SC's have done to my system I will be totally blown away.

Cheers,
Ian

Congrats, Ian and welcome to WBF. I'm not too far away. I borrowed the MB Ultra and Reference interconnects from Joe for a while, and was smitten especially with the Ultras. I also drove over the hill to listen to Joe's system with full loom of Masterbuilt cables. Gorgeous sound. It really is amazing what cables can do for an already great system. Enjoy!

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
Congrats, Ian and welcome to WBF. I'm not too far away. I borrowed the MB Ultra and Reference interconnects from Joe for a while, and was smitten especially with the Ultras. I also drove over the hill to listen to Joe's system with full loom of Masterbuilt cables. Gorgeous sound. It really is amazing what cables can do for an already great system. Enjoy!

I' m using MB's reference xlr, but it does not meet my taste at all.
I already finished an inspection by MB, they confirmed the cable had no problem and recommend cook more time.
I cooked 5 weeks more, but it is same.
Wide spectrum and no distortion, but no fun and some strange particles at high. This is really big headache to me.

Is there any special to use that? or does my system have any problem?

I'm using Aurender N10, Mark no.30.6, Absolare inti, Rockport mira.

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
I' m using MB's reference xlr, but it does not meet my taste at all.
I already finished an inspection by MB, they confirmed the cable had no problem and recommend cook more time.
I cooked 5 weeks more, but it is same.
Wide spectrum and no distortion, but no fun and some strange particles at high. This is really big headache to me.

Is there any special to use that? or does my system have any problem?

I'm using Aurender N10, Mark no.30.6, Absolare inti, Rockport mira.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you’re hearing? You say no fun but that doesn’t tell me a lot about what’s going on. Also, what speaker cables and power cords are you using?

Cheers, Joe

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Count me in as a convert and fan of the MasterBuilt cables. I recently auditioned the following speaker cables in my system:
Audioquest Firebird
Transparent Ref XL
MB Ultra speaker cables + power cord to the amp

The MB Ultras were clearly a step ahead of the others. I'd describe the music as so much clearer and more dynamic with the Ultras. No coloration of sound, simply more of what the artist intended us to hear. Just placed my order! Thanks to Joe Hakim of Eigen Audio, who provided me with great service and ample time with the Ultras during my demo. Thanks to the WBF forum as well, as I would not have been aware of this line without you.

Speaker: Wilson Audio Alexx
Amp; Burmester 911 mk3
Pre-amp: Burmester 035

Reactions: mountainjoe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for posting about your decision. How would you compare and contrast sonically the Transparent cables you auditioned versus the Masterbuilt you auditioned?

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Thank you for posting about your decision. How would you compare and contrast sonically the Transparent cables you auditioned versus the Masterbuilt you auditioned?

Ron,
I'd say the Transparent cables provided a minor improvement heard when I added them in and when I transitioned back to my regular cables, whereas many tracks provided an "Oh my" moment with the MB cables. The MB cables revealed clearer highs and improved bass. On some albums, I had to turn the volume down a bit with the MB cables presumably because they were more sensitive or allowing more sound thru. For many albums, the experience was 'This is the best I have ever heard this sound". I believe that you observed greater clarity hearing the Ultras in Steve's system, and I completely concur. Once the Ultra speaker cables are in, I plan to incrementally add in more MB cables.

Amp; Burmester 911 mk3
Source; Linn Klimax DSM Katalyst
Speaker cables; Synergistic Research CTS

Reactions: Ron Resnick

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Count me in as a convert and fan of the MasterBuilt cables. I recently auditioned the following speaker cables in my system:
Audioquest Firebird
Transparent Ref XL
MB Ultra speaker cables + power cord to the amp

The MB Ultras were clearly a step ahead of the others. I'd describe the music as so much clearer and more dynamic with the Ultras. No coloration of sound, simply more of what the artist intended us to hear. Just placed my order! Thanks to Joe Hakim of Eigen Audio, who provided me with great service and ample time with the Ultras during my demo. Thanks to the WBF forum as well, as I would not have been aware of this line without you.

Amp; Burmester 911 mk3

Congratulations. I presume the Transparent cables were calibrated for your system. Could you post the retail prices of these three cables? Do you own the Audioquest cables?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ron,
I'd say the Transparent cables provided a minor improvement heard when I added them in and when I transitioned back to my regular cables, whereas many tracks provided an "Oh my" moment with the MB cables. The MB cables revealed clearer highs and improved bass. On some albums, I had to turn the volume down a bit with the MB cables presumably because they were more sensitive or allowing more sound thru. For many albums, the experience was 'This is the best I have ever heard this sound". I believe that you observed greater clarity hearing the Ultras in Steve's system, and I completely concur. Once the Ultra speaker cables are in, I plan to incrementally add in more MB cables.

Amp; Burmester 911 mk3
Source; Linn Klimax DSM Katalyst
Speaker cables; Synergistic Research CTS

Are you using complete looms for listening? What were the interconnects involved in these listening tests?

When you refer " I had to turn the volume down a bit " how many dB's are you addressing? Thanks!

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Congratulations. I presume the Transparent cables were calibrated for your system. Could you post the retail prices of these three cables? Do you own the Audioquest cables?

Peter,
The Transparent cables were calibrated to my system.
The Transparent Ref XL is 17.4K/10 ft
The AQ Firebird is 17.5K/10 ft
MB Ultra=25K/10 feet

I presently own Synergistic Research CTS speaker cables.

Reactions: GSOphile and PeterA

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Are you using complete looms for listening? What were the interconnects involved in these listening tests?

When you refer " I had to turn the volume down a bit " how many dB's are you addressing? Thanks!

My present interconnects consist of 2-3K retail Synergistic Research cables and Isotek power cords (approx 1-3K each). For the Transparent demo, I heard the Ref XL speaker cables + Ref XL interconnects to the pre-amp and amp. For the AQ demo, I heard the Firebird speaker cables + 2 power cables. For the MB demo, I heard the Ultra speaker cables + power cord to the amp. Each demo was a bit different regarding gear;I took the advice of each respective dealer.

I only turned the volume down approximately 10%...nothing drastic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing