Transparent Opus Power Isolator - new offering

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations, John. But be careful about using that pesky word, "natural". It is highly subjective and can't be measured.

Naturally. :) I couldn't resist...

but to be safe I just edited the above post to say IMO after that pesky word...

Hope all is going well in Boston !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, I should really wait longer...only been outa the boxes and playing for about a hour. It's pretty remarkable brand new/not broken in.

Hearing things I've never heard before in recordings...

I have the DPC-6 into one Opus Isolator. Both the DPC-6 and Opus Isolator using Opus power cords. The preamp and phono stage on 2nd Opus Isolator with Opus Power cord. I'll spin some vinyl tomorrow...just digital so far...

Great feedback JFrech...just so i understand your new chain of equipment...are you saying the entire Shunyata chain goes from wall to the Opus and then into your Digital? And then the 2nd Opus goes from wall into Preamp/Phono? Have you/can you try both Opus' into the wall (without Shunyata)...or do you need the additional plug outlets that the Shunyata provides?

Thanks for clarifying.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Great feedback JFrech...just so i understand your new chain of equipment...are you saying the entire Shunyata chain goes from wall to the Opus and then into your Digital? And then the 2nd Opus goes from wall into Preamp/Phono? Have you/can you try both Opus' into the wall (without Shunyata)...or do you need the additional plug outlets that the Shunyata provides?

Thanks for clarifying.

Hi Lloyd !

No on the entire shunyata chain. My Triton v2 is now sold. So it's totally out. The DPC-6v2 is still used with the Transport, Clock, Upsamper, router, NAS and turnable motor controller. The DPC6 v2 used to go into the triton, now goes into one input on one duplex in the Opus Isolator. The DAC goes into the other input on the duplex on this same Opus Isolator. So all digital is via this Opus Isolator. The 2nd Opus Isolator is for the preamp and phono stage. Then the amp is direct to the wall...but has the Typhon plugged into one side of that duplex.

So using 3 dedicate circuits. One for amp/Typhon. One for digital. one for analog.

Hope that makes sense !

pessoa00

Feb 25, 2015
So ~4 days playing time now. 2 days at my dealer and 2 days in my system.

It's definitely lower noise, higher resolution, more natural (in my opinion), better textures vs my prior set up. Now possesses a richness/wetness on the notes top to bottom that is just intoxicating. Don't read this as warm and rolled off. It's more extended top to bottom than before with more energy on the notes. I continue to hear things in recordings I've never noticed before.

It's just more interesting to listen to.

On vinyl, almost feels like I got a new cartridge...it's that order of magnitude better.

I am sure I have a few more weeks of breakin...just a point in time update...

That sort of feedback will soon make me a very poor man :)

Are you plugin the MPS or the VPS to the isolator? I though you couldn't get a better power supply to the VPS than the MPS with the battery option. The technology behind these isolator should be very interesting.

I using a PS Audio P10 to power all my system because it seemed the better option to face the significant voltage swings I often have in my home, but often wonder about other possibilities either as alternatives or as add-on to the PS Audio

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
That sort of feedback will soon make me a very poor man :)

Are you plugin the MPS or the VPS to the isolator? I though you couldn't get a better power supply to the VPS than the MPS with the battery option. The technology behind these isolator should be very interesting.

I using a PS Audio P10 to power all my system because it seemed the better option to face the significant voltage swings I often have in my home, but often wonder about other possibilities either as alternatives or as add-on to the PS Audio

The MPS into the Opus Isolator. And I have the MPS with the battery option and usually play the VPS off of the MPS's battery output. I'll try the MPS to the wall over the weekend and see if the Opus Isolator is really helping it or just the preamp. I suspect it is helping the MPS, because I can hear power cord effects on the MPS...even when using battery-go figure.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I would love to know what the inside of it looks like. I'm curious what type of PFC they're using.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd !

No on the entire shunyata chain. My Triton v2 is now sold. So it's totally out. The DPC-6v2 is still used with the Transport, Clock, Upsamper, router, NAS and turnable motor controller. The DPC6 v2 used to go into the triton, now goes into one input on one duplex in the Opus Isolator. The DAC goes into the other input on the duplex on this same Opus Isolator. So all digital is via this Opus Isolator. The 2nd Opus Isolator is for the preamp and phono stage. Then the amp is direct to the wall...but has the Typhon plugged into one side of that duplex.

So using 3 dedicate circuits. One for amp/Typhon. One for digital. one for analog.

Hope that makes sense !

Thanks! After the legendary Shunyata power combo came out a few years ago, I remember how many members here were (and still are) thrilled. Nice to see the envelope has been pushed further again!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks! After the legendary Shunyata power combo came out a few years ago, I remember how many members here were (and still are) thrilled. Nice to see the envelope has been pushed further again!

Count me as one of those (long time) Shunyata fans !! I don't plan on selling my DPC-6 v2 or Typhon soon. And the Triton v2 is STILL killer. That said, I think the Opus Isolator is pushing that envelope and I suspect synergy also with my other Transparent cabling...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Count me as one of those (long time) Shunyata fans !! I don't plan on selling my DPC-6 v2 or Typhon soon. And the Triton v2 is STILL killer. That said, I think the Opus Isolator is pushing that envelope and I suspect synergy also with my other Transparent cabling...

...here's another question...do they do different things when you add them to your system? ie, dpc-6 vs typhon vs Opus Isolator? Curious as to any rough 'notes' you could share to get a better understanding. Thanks!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
...here's another question...do they do different things when you add them to your system? ie, dpc-6 vs typhon vs Opus Isolator? Curious as to any rough 'notes' you could share to get a better understanding. Thanks!

Actually yes they do seem to do things a bit differently.

The Shunyata Typhon is just a noise suppression device. And it takes 4-5 days to settle down after it's been plugged into a circuit. But after a few days, it's effects are unmistakable. The background haze (that you don't even realize is there) is lessened allowing each musical note to possess a bit more energy. It does not change really any other parameters. But when you pull the plug...you're like...ugh...and plug it back in fast. It's my favorite Shuyata conditioning product.

The Shunyata DPC-6v2 is just to firewall off the back wave of digital noise from going back into the system. The best example here is my turnable motor controller. It's a digital signal processor, basically a small dedicated computer, has a wall wart type of power supply (which are known to be noisy too). With all the digital (Vivaldi etc) off, and unplugged, and JUST the motor controller into the DPC-6 v2 vs the wall where the preamps are...it was introducing a smearing effect to the vinyl playback. It was easy and quick to test. Just plug into the DPC6 listen then move to a outlet where the preamps where. Even if those outlets happened to be a Triton V2...it was still putting noise into that circuit which when removed...was for the better.

The Opus Isolator seems to be much broader is what its doing. Lower noise, better dynamics, better textures, more ease but more power in the music. It cleary makes the music more interesting to listen too in every area. I wish I know what what inside it ... it's about 15 pounds...so something is in there !

Reactions: ozy

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Back in August my dealer came to my home with Jon Zimmer of TA to demo their new Ethernet cables and Gen5 Opus, XL and Ref. Power cords. I was amazed the difference the ethernet cables made on my DAC. The noise floor was lowered and the dynamics significantly improved, you could clearly hear the life and presence and of voices and instruments. I purchased them. For the power cords each level of the Gen 5 PCs improved the sound of my DAC. What was surprising to me was how much a difference just the Reference level PC made over my existing PC. Jon pointed out when they develop power conditioning products they design them to maintain the tonal integrity and to do the least harm in changing the sound. I am waiting for them to come out with their Gen5XL PowerIsolator to demo at home with the XL PCs. John's impressions of TA power products is consistent with my own limited experience.

Reactions: ozy

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Actually yes they do seem to do things a bit differently.

The Shunyata Typhon is just a noise suppression device. And it takes 4-5 days to settle down after it's been plugged into a circuit. But after a few days, it's effects are unmistakable. The background haze (that you don't even realize is there) is lessened allowing each musical note to possess a bit more energy. It does not change really any other parameters. But when you pull the plug...you're like...ugh...and plug it back in fast. It's my favorite Shuyata conditioning product.

The Shunyata DPC-6v2 is just to firewall off the back wave of digital noise from going back into the system. The best example here is my turnable motor controller. It's a digital signal processor, basically a small dedicated computer, has a wall wart type of power supply (which are known to be noisy too). With all the digital (Vivaldi etc) off, and unplugged, and JUST the motor controller into the DPC-6 v2 vs the wall where the preamps are...it was introducing a smearing effect to the vinyl playback. It was easy and quick to test. Just plug into the DPC6 listen then move to a outlet where the preamps where. Even if those outlets happened to be a Triton V2...it was still putting noise into that circuit which when removed...was for the better.

The Opus Isolator seems to be much broader is what its doing. Lower noise, better dynamics, better textures, more ease but more power in the music. It cleary makes the music more interesting to listen too in every area. I wish I know what what inside it ... it's about 15 pounds...so something is in there !

Good to know...thanks!!!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Back in August my dealer came to my home with Jon Zimmer of TA to demo their new Ethernet cables and Gen5 Opus, XL and Ref. Power cords. I was amazed the difference the ethernet cables made on my DAC. The noise floor was lowered and the dynamics significantly improved, you could clearly hear the life and presence and of voices and instruments. I purchased them. For the power cords each level of the Gen 5 PCs improved the sound of my DAC. What was surprising to me was how much a difference just the Reference level PC made over my existing PC. Jon pointed out when they develop power conditioning products they design them to maintain the tonal integrity and to do the least harm in changing the sound. I am waiting for them to come out with their Gen5XL PowerIsolator to demo at home with the XL PCs. John's impressions of TA power products is consistent with my own limited experience.

Really cool story and demo ! I have the ethernet cable too...so I can easily relate.

Was that your first post here? Welcome to WBF !!

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Really cool story and demo ! I have the ethernet cable too...so I can easily relate.

Was that your first post here? Welcome to WBF !!
John
Yes. I have been following this forum for awhile and I am not on AGON anymore since the format change. Your experience with the TA Opus PCs intrigued me and I contacted my dealer and it just so happened Jon Z was coming to my dealer to demo the Ethernet cables so after he came over to my place.
Thanks for the nice welcome.
Mark

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John
Yes. I have been following this forum for awhile and I am not on AGON anymore since the format change. Your experience with the TA Opus PCs intrigued me and I contacted my dealer and it just so happened Jon Z was coming to my dealer to demo the Ethernet cables so after he came over to my place.
Thanks for the nice welcome.
Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry I missed this post. I hear you on agon, I've lost interest there too mostly b/c of the format change. I just can't seem to figure it out. Plus I do like the folks here at wbf.

So what did you think of Jon Z...get a demo of something at home?

PS, I just ordered my 3rd Opus Isolator. These are just wonderful...1st on the pre and phono stage. 2nd will be for clock and dac. 3rd will be for trans and upsampler. I'll keep the Shunyata DPC-6 for the router, NAS and turnable motor controller...

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
John

Jon brought over the Ethernet cables and one each of their Gen 5 power cords. He spent a couple of hours which was very generous of his time. I think Jon and Josh are doing a good job getting TA brand out there.

The Opus Source pc was quite impressive. Congradulations on the new power conditioning and cables, your system must be sounding as close to optimum as possible.

Mark

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
I decided to order one. Ditto my dealer. I've thoroughly loved the Transparent Opus and Opus Source power cords I have in my system...

Dear John,

I am really curious how you evaluate Shunyata and the new Transparent power cables and isolators now. After all you spent some time with them.

I can see that you now have many Opus Power Cables and that talks for itself but still some of us are hungry for some details.

I am using Transparent Reference MM (the one before Opus) for signal cables and I love them. So musical and natural, I even feel like I taste the music with these cables.

I used Shunyata Sigma cables (with Triton) which are straight forward, very very good, competent cables. I also used old Gen IV Transparent power cables. They were very quite, meaty and nice but resolution and sound stage was not up to Shunyata standard.

I never listened to Gen V power cables.

My motive is to go with Gen V XL Transparent Power Cables (I need 7 cables so Opus is out of reach) and power isolators, on instinct. But Shunyata seems to be the rational choice.

So as a person who has experience with both cables and isolators, please give us some of your insight on these 2 seperate systems (including isolators).

Love and respect,

Cagdas

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Dear John,

I am really curious how you evaluate Shunyata and the new Transparent power cables and isolators now. After all you spent some time with them.

I can see that you now have many Opus Power Cables and that talks for itself but still some of us are hungry for some details.

I am using Transparent Reference MM (the one before Opus) for signal cables and I love them. So musical and natural, I even feel like I taste the music with these cables.

I used Shunyata Sigma cables (with Triton) which are straight forward, very very good, competent cables. I also used old Gen IV Transparent power cables. They were very quite, meaty and nice but resolution and sound stage was not up to Shunyata standard.

I never listened to Gen V power cables.

My motive is to go with Gen V XL Transparent Power Cables (I need 7 cables so Opus is out of reach) and power isolators, on instinct. But Shunyata seems to be the rational choice.

So as a person who has experience with both cables and isolators, please give us some of your insight on these 2 seperate systems (including isolators).

Love and respect,

Cagdas

Hi, you have a nice system. Congratulations. I've been to Istanbul a few times, beautiful city.

I think the short answer is I now have 3 Opus Isolators-they are that good. Also if you like their signal cables you'll quickly notice gen 5 power cords go hand in glove with the interconnects. Very similar sonic signature. Don't get me wrong, the Shunyata stuff is great-I've owned it for years and still have a DPC-6 and a Typhon. The Gen 5 power cords will give you even more resolution, more organic sound that seems to more emotionally engage you with the music. This last point is hard to explain but once you've heard it...just can't go back.

I did use Opus Power cords with my Triton before the Opus Isolators. It's a good combination.

In fact for your system, I'd upgrade to Gen 5 interconnects/speaker cable first. Even if you have to do this in steps. I'm with you, the previous generation Transparenent power cables were good, but I preferred Shunyata Sigma.

I hope this helps you. Good luck

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
John, thanks a lot.

Next time you come around please send me a message.

Your answer is what I was wishing for. I completely understand when you say how TA emotionally engages you. I used cables with more resolution, more control, more this and more that but I never found the emotional connection with the music as in TA cables.

I just can't upgrade the signal cables right now since I am using stock power cables with my Mephisto and Pandora at the moment. The cables that came with the box. That is a shame. Over 20 years of my audiophile journey I know how important power cables are so I think I should sort that out first.

It's good to know TA still improves over their already solid legacy.

You helped a lot. Thanks.

Cagdas

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great system! (From a fellow Gryphon fan...you've got some great pieces there!)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing