Visit to Henk van der Hoeven -- Apogee Acoustics Re-builder/Restorer

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar, let me try to make progress on Marc's several tube-related questions with a chart-type request.

In your experience, Kedar, which Apogee speakers -- separating out stock Apogee speakers and Graz-ribboned re-builds (by any of the re-builders) -- worked very well with which tube amplifiers? And I appreciate that you have not auditioned each of these combinations on the chart. But please try to fill in as many boxes as you can with what you have heard.

Which tube amps worked very well with stock Duettas? Graz re-ribboned Duettas?

Which tube amps worked very well with stock Divas? Graz re-ribboned Divas?

Which tube amps worked very well with stock Full Ranges? Graz re-ribboned Full Ranges?

Thank you!

Hi, we are trying to construct on a forum something that IMO is not relevant to the selection of Apogees. Best done by demoing. So far TRL has been very successful and many are using it. NAT seemed to have no problems with the Grands which are an easier load but were in a much smaller room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, Kedar, I think that as VTL has refined their circuits -- with better and bigger transformers and with better and bigger power supply capacitors -- the current VTL "sound" is not traditionally "tubey-sounding" (if it ever was -- I don't know myself what early VTLs sounded like) yet it remains on the liquid and slightly rich side of neutral (which is why I like it).

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Original full ranges had a 4ohm tap that could be used to drive the midrange/tweeter unit with a tube amp. I had a buddy who used a 250w/ch Audio Research "space heater" for this section and used a Krell stereo "space heater" for the bass ribbon. He had a 27x 17 foot room designed for them (Leo Spiegel consulted on the room) with an offset vaulted ceiling (peak not running down center of room.). No issues with volume, etc.

Lee

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In that Full Range configuration, Lee, what did he use for a crossover?

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Hello gentlemen...just wanted to chime in here too. Hello Ked, it was great meeting you last week and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself hearing my TSW Duetta Ultimates.

Yes, the restored Apogees that I have used from Rich at TSW (one pair of Divas and 2 pairs of Duettas) seem to be more forgiving of amplifier requirements. Rich told me my Ultimates are essentially about 3.8/4 ohms and don't vary much from there as well as being a good 87db efficient. This is why he has run them in his own rather large (17'x30'+) with nothing but an ARC Ref 75 (KT 120's) with good success. As you know my KT 150 equipped TRL GT 200's are effortless in my 13'x18' room (the KT150's are probably delivering about 250 per channel or thereabout as the amp was originally designated "200" via the much less powerful KT88's in its day...).

As for the TRL line up there are also GT 400's which nowadays run KT150's also (a local friend of mine uses them to drive Sasha 2's) and they are SO strong.... Not to mention the limited edition (9 pairs in the world ) GT 800's used by Gallant_diva in Texas... BTW: a reliable rumor has it that although all who knew him have suffered with the recent tragic passing of Paul Weitzel ["Mr." TRL himself], the legendary company won't necessarily be sharing the same unfortunate fate... As a [multiple] product owner I'm staying optimistic...

Anyway: as for VTL: I agree they are becoming even more reliable than ever before and while never mimicking classic Conrad Johnsons, they are still a liquid, 'tangible' sound that tubes convey. My guess is that they will serve Duettas with aplomb and [restored] Divas / FR's with a solid 300+ wpc model or greater.

Bottom line:will those NAT's run Duettas in a 17' x 40' room ? If they are set up at one end and purposely laid out to service that area as the "Listening field" I'm confident a restored pair will work well. For restored Divas or FR's I agree with Ked that you will need several hundred tube watts per channel for realistic dynamics. Don't forget another alternative that adds tremendous flexibility and essentially pays for itself in options and diversity: Pass XVR1 (first choice) or any GREAT comparable electronic crossover...Love your tube amp but can't quite drive the way you need to? Buy another and get yourself an XVR1... So much to think about! Happy Lissn'n.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Interesting Lissnr
Henk's advice to me was the opposite to you
That is, the Duettas would run out of steam in my 18x38x10 (max) space, and Divas would be the best choice, with no issues being driven by 120W/ch single ended tetrodes
Hmm?...

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Hello, Hmmm indeed. Henk is by far THE Expert so IMHO it's just that...my opinion based on my personal experiences which are no match for his... My experiences have told me the [restored] Duettas are significantly easier to drive than the [restored] Divas. Period. Maybe it was as simple as my room length causing the massive woofers to easily overload...or maybe I just couldn't be comfortable with the seeming lack of drivers fully integrating at my close listening distance...or maybe...??? All I know is the Duetta just "synched" like finding the right key for the door lock...and the Diva didn't. More length, as you have, as well as the added width all say Diva will love it up to 85% of its capability but that last 15%...the part that demands seemingly unlimited horsepower...makes me hesitate with only 120... OF Course I may be completely wrong. Sorry for "amplifying" your frustrations...no harm intended...
I don't mean to rain on your parade friend...it's just my overall guesstimate/impression...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting Lissnr
That is, the Duettas would run out of steam in my 18x38x10 (max) space, and Divas would be the best choice, with no issues being driven by 120W/ch single ended tetrodes
Hmm?...

Then buy two more monoblocks and use the Pass Crossover. Or find a way to bridge them to get double output. Put in a real quiet air con.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Interesting Lissnr
Hmm?...

Apogees with "high output" SET makes zero sense to me and most likely will result in high levels of distortion. Check out the Wavac HE-833 measurements to see what I mean.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Apogees with "high output" SET makes zero sense to me and most likely will result in high levels of distortion. Check out the Wavac HE-833 measurements to see what I mean.

I was also thinking the same - why using SET in their non linear zone? IMHO the good things of SET tube sound are due to their intrinsic linear qualities, not to the distortion.
But I have no experience with such situation.

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
SET's and Ribbons are like living the fantasy : Meeting your dream date who is Both Gorgeous AND Rich... and for some reason she REALLY likes you! OMG. If the stars align and you can pull it off...it's got to be bliss...but underlying power can NOT be sacrificed or it's not for real.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
SET's and Ribbons are like living the fantasy : Meeting your dream date who is Both Gorgeous AND Rich... and for some reason she REALLY likes you! OMG. If the stars align and you can pull it off...it's got to be bliss...but underlying power can NOT be sacrificed or it's not for real.

Yes but careful one is not wishing for three tits

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I was also thinking the same - why using SET in their non linear zone? IMHO the good things of SET tube sound are due to their intrinsic linear qualities, not to the distortion.
But I have no experience with such situation.

I've been thinking of summarizing my thoughts on amp selection - maybe i'll do that this weekend. Too many folks focus on a speaker/amp pair might work rather than designed to work. Its like putting an inline 6 in a Bug - it might fit, but why would you do it in the first place. 'Synergy' in this case isn't a mystery.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gentlemen, I think we're getting to the nub of it
These restored Apogees CAN work with SETs, but 'can' is not the same as IDEALLY
My gut instinct is that I will get a good enough outcome
But when the music really becomes demanding, a certain glassiness or anaemicness will intervene and be a turn off
OR I could be very wrong

Lissnr, there is a certain irony in that I could have settled for a space very much like your's 18x12x9
But I ended up spending the budget on Henk's Graz Duettas and NAT Transmitters SET upgrade on my loft space

And hence a room/system synergy I've denied myself for the sake of creating a much more extravagant space
Which lends itself to eg AG Trios with NATs
Or sticking with my Zus

... or subverting this self inflicted dilemma and going Apogees with SS...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The trios will sound like a large concert in your size room. The duettas won't give you that, the FRs will, but then you don't have the height for the FRs due to your slope. So it will come down to if you like trio tone vs apogee ribbon tone. The trio factory is the size of your room

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
"My gut instinct is that I will get a good enough outcome
But when the music really becomes demanding, a certain glassiness or anaemicness will intervene and be a turn off
OR I could be very wrong

Lissnr, there is a certain irony in that I could have settled for a space very much like your's 18x12x9"

There are many things even more dreadful than fear of the uncertain in audioland but for those of us who feel they could be jumping into the deep end of the pool with a heavy bag of gold strapped to their ankles...the suspense is gnawing in your gut. I feel your anguish.

If it makes you feel any better that 12' width of yours would have been cutting it really close to the sidewalls...at 13' I feel mine just makes it [though you could have inched their distance apart a bit closer and still be ok]. I still think the new Duettas are the right move over the Zu's or the AG's because I feel they are so inherently talented when run within their requirements. And FWIW they will appreciate EVERY single little tweak or improvement of equipment up the line from them...You can feel a thousand percent justified in placing expensive improvements into the chain and be rewarded by their full acknowledgment of what you did. Premium tube? Check. Better 'footers' of some sort? Check. New power conditioner, power cable, dedicated lines,room treatment,dac, cartridge,tonearm, ...check check check... new Lightbulbs? (Only kidding!) but you see the point. They will ALWAYS appreciate your attention to detail. (It's a double edged sword of course) but the fact that we're conversing on a site entitled "WHAT'S BEST forum" I'm sure Apogees are in proper company. Jump in...and Happy Lissn'n....PS as I said before: If the tubed thing doesn't work out as well as hoped there ARE plenty of other tube amps that will work beautifully and great SS amps out there these days too so.. you're not at the end of the road...just another intersection.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Which lends itself to eg AG Trios with NATs
Or sticking with my Zus

... or subverting this self inflicted dilemma and going Apogees with SS...

fyi- the super Zu is slated for release next Munich. i think it would be easier going to horns than panels from Zu but that's a tough decision.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marc, buy the Apogees, if they don't fill up your big space, take them downstairs to your small room and buy trios for the large room. There.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing