MIT vs. Nordost IC's

dentlfly

Jun 29, 2016
charlotte, north carolina
i have been auditioning many brands of IC's to replace my tributaries. anyone have experience with the MIT SL-Matrix 50 and 50.2 series and the Nordost Tyr2? i have auditioned many brands and these are the last 2 to audition. winners so far are cardas clear, WWplatinum eclipse 7 and kimber 1036 series. thanks.

ed

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have not heard good reports for the MIT matrix SL series. The MIT matrix (non sl) gets very positive reports. Lots of info on MIT cables in the Spectral forum.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Not a fan of the SL line either, although positive-feedback had a glowing review of the 50/90 combo. It's also true I had a Tyr2 which I couldn't get rid of fast enough, once I tried the Oracle MIT

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
If you could share what you liked about each of your "winners" thus far, that would be helpful. I am also not a fan of MITs below the Oracle series, but then again that carries a hefty price tag and you may not need it. The Cardas Clear is the only other cable in my system besides MIT Oracles and its pretty hard to fault (and a relative bargain to boot). There's probably a good reason it is the reference cable of Audio Research, but what's right for them may not be right for you. The only real answer is what you think sounds best in your system.

dentlfly

Jun 29, 2016
charlotte, north carolina
the cardas clear is just so easy to listen to; lots of low end, nice soundstage, no brightness and detailed(but others more detail and air). nice construction as well, great XLR connectors. kimber select 1036(RCA) very articulate low end, big soundstage and lots of detail. a slight bit of edginess on certain notes in the upper end. vocals and instruments about half way up center stage. WW platinum eclipse 7 similar to kimber. huge soundstage and detail. also some edginess to some upper end. vocals sounded very smooth. MIT's coming today to audition but they are the sl-matrix 50. there is also a pair of oracle 50.2 that i could audition but they are pricier cables. auditioned nordost a month ago; local dealer bringing back over tomorrow but what i remember of the Tyr2 nordost was the really wide soundstage and detail and air around instruments and vocals but not as articulate in the low end. and the center stage went way up and slightly more forward. thanks. hope to get some more feedback from members that have used or tried these cables. these are all IC's. starting there first and then will try different speaker cables. consensus seems to be power first , then IC's, then speaker. already did power.

ed

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Shunyata Research?

Good luck on your search. Kinda like choosing your favorite ice cream.

I assume you are aware of Fatwyre / The Cable Company. Probably have the largest selection of wire on the planet and you can audition to your hearts content.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
With all due respect, I don't think cable reviews are very valid since they are so system dependent and subject to one's personal biases.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
With all due respect, I don't think cable reviews are very valid since they are so system dependent and subject to one's personal biases.
Without any disrespect to you, isn't that really true of all audio gear? This is a very subjective hobby by its nature and each component interacts with all others in a system to create the resultant sound quality. I believe that no component stands on its own, but reviews can still be of value to give you some idea of of a component's sound. Of course everything's still relative.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

If you know about the reviewer preferences and know about the system they are very useful. I have learned a lot about cables just reading about others opinions. We do not have the opportunity, time and resources to try every cable in our systems, some indirect knowledge can increase the efficiency of choosing significantly. It is great to have many opinions here of people we have been following since a long. BTW, reviews are just opinions emitted by a reviewer ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing