Virtual tour of THE Show Newport 2016

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I watched all your videos Mike.

- What I like: A continuous tour with your phone video camera rolling non-stop (inside and outside the hotel).

- What I like less: An inferior jumpy/unfocused moving camera and with an inferior picture and sound quality. ...Not surprising from a Nexus 6 phone.

- What I suggest (if I may): An adequate and dedicated video camera with a good quality stereo microphone, and with a good image stabilizer (quick) and great focus attribute.
You have the sense of observation, now you need the proper tool to follow that sense and deliver a picture and sound quality in tandem with the final delivery.

Here's an example:

Thx and cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

Ultimist

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks, Bob.

I think you are exactly right, even though we are going for a more visceral experience than the polished, professional approach taken by Peter and Terry [at AVShowrooms].

Sure have a lot to learn about this stuff! :)

Take care,
-Mike

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Your approach is cool Mike; just get a better video camera with mic. :b

Also, from the moment you enter the rooms to when you exit them...I find it a little too fast (we see the door opening...then not long after back out to that door). :D
I do understand that you want to check them all, and that you don't have the time to stay too long or you would need to recharge your battery, and with it you would miss many rooms.

I think after watching your five videos I get the hang of your style; "impromptu". And that you aced it better than anyone else.

I'm going to add a personal comment now, my own comment from what you showed us strictly regarding the audio show in that kind of "quick" style.
First it's funny for sure, and two; it's not the type of shows and crowds I would like to hang around...it looks boring overall.
This is just my overall impression and I understand very well the goal of audio shows. And I also understand what is gained too from all the folks attending and that I respect.
If I would be an audio rep, or dealer, or manufacturer, or audio company executive, or a professional musician performing live @ those type of audio shows; I wouldn't be in my most comfortable element. This is not an absolute and final scientific evaluation; it's just an overall impression from walking all the corridors with you and following the flow of the main floor with all the vendors, the rooms with the gear and the people (listeners, viewers, reps, ...), listening to the pitches, watching an aged crowd of my age, ...and missing the electrifying energy of the younger beautiful women.
It's a way of speech to say that there is some sort of dead energy that took over me. It was a good thing that I saw some humor in it occasionally...yeah...humor would help me to acquiesce myself in this type of atmosphere.

A question for you Mike: What is your overall impression of that audio show, from your very own perspective?
You were there, in your own way, I wasn't, I simply followed you and your Nexus 6 android phone.
Your girlfriend/partner, Neli; did she contribute and in which way?

Cheers,

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Neli; did she contribute and in which way?

I gave Neli a big hug Mike. It's been many years since I visited you guys in Boulder while my daughter was in college there. I remember your wife driving me up that hill in the middle of winter with snow everywhere and thinking we were going over the side of the mountain but she did just great. Every room in your house was an incredible listening experience. Plus Neli tells me of the pilgrimage to the Bay Area

To this day I tell everyone that Neli is IMO the most knowledgeable female audiophile I have ever met and it was good to bump into her and your room last week at THE Show

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Wow, nice area, nice home, nice presentation, I'm just looking @ http://audiofederation.com/ right now.

I did not have a single clue about your background; I just went with the flow of the moment accompanying you @ the show with your phone.
I thought you were just like me, a hippiephile.

And! If it wasn't for Frank posting your video part 1, I wouldn't have known about the beautiful people creators.

Last edited:

Ultimist

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks, Steve. Neli says "Hi!" and "You are too kind". :)

Thanks, Bob. Neli ran our room with Hermann Winters of Acapella. She doesn't get out of the room much, though she does try to visit as many rooms of friends as possible.

There 'can be' serious listening at a show. Compared to most listening rooms in real people's real homes, the rooms in a hotel aren't that bad. The floors are VERY solid and sometimes the walls as well. And usually the furniture has been cleared out which is something many real listening rooms cannot do [we have a large hearth on one side of our main room, for example, and the room opens up on one side leading to non-symmetrical effects. We have learned to manage, but still...

On the other hand, shows can be not about listening at all - but instead are just one big honking party - of around 100 parties actually. And you get to visit the parties you want and talk to new and old friends there about audio while listening to seemingly random mixes of new and old gear playing familiar and unfamiliar music. This is fun and the part of the shows I focus on more these days as I come to realize that some large percentage of exhibits are not really going for good sound, but are there more to 'be seen' [figuring people should go to their brick&mortar dealership to do concentrated listening (like THEY will sound good, ha ha), if they are a dealer who is exhibiting; and to be seen by the press, if they are manufacturers who are exhibiting]

BTW, there are 13 videos for this show. On YouTube, there is an arrow on the right side of the 1st row of videos, that when clicked scrolls the videos showing more. Yes, I think it is confusing too.

Take care,
-Mike

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing