Running In

arrowminty

Jun 8, 2016
Hi, New to this Forum, Ive just bought a Yamaha A S301 Amplifier and keep reading about running it in. I gather that is to let the components settle down. Due to my present situation i have to do my listening through Headphones. Do i have to drive my speakers for the amp to run in properly. Thanx.

Schurkey

Apr 10, 2016
The Seasonally Frozen Wastelands
Hi, New to this Forum, Ive just bought a Yamaha A S301 Amplifier and keep reading about running it in. I gather that is to let the components settle down. Due to my present situation i have to do my listening through Headphones. Do i have to drive my speakers for the amp to run in properly. Thanx.
Without loudspeakers connected, there will be almost no current flow through the output transistors--nothing more than the bias current, which will be very minimal. Yes, you need to have a proper loudspeaker load to do this right.

The bigger question is whether it matters if you aren't listening via loudspeakers. Sooner or later, those components will have spent enough time warm and passing bias current to "settle down" even without loudspeakers. And if you aren't listening to the output transistors, who cares what they sound like anyway?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing