Steve's THE Show 2016 Pictures

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
On A Higher Note and Joe Cali Design

This room tied with Evolution Acoustics for "My" Best in Show Sound

The demo by Joe was as professional as it gets and presented audio in every format from 384 Khz and Quad DSD as well as 1/4' and 1/2' tape and multichannel sound. Played through Vivid G2 speakers and Luxman amps

It was an unforgettable experience

IMG_0128 (1).jpg

IMG_0129 (1).jpg

IMG_0130 (1).jpg

IMG_0131 (1).jpg

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thank you for taking the time to share that with us, Steve. :)

Tom

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for the share, you have eased the suffering just a tad!
Now to get the dates for next year...

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Steve,

Thank you for taking pictures and sharing them with us. :D

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Steve,

I'm glad you found the MSB SELECT to be "the real deal" :) You know, I like my analog and vinyl, so for a DAC to make an impression, it really needs to be THAT good!

The Evolution/darTZeel room was indeed special, and I was telling Kevin (Malmgren) that if we had $1 for each "thank you, best room in the show" he and I heard, we'd be very rich men by now :)

I was fortunate to add another lifelong musical memory to my audiophile life in that room! Leslie brought a select choice of tapes, and chief among them was Led Zeppelin's I *AND* II, which we cranked at suitably loud volumes!

Overall, my impression is that that the show this year had about the same number of visitors, but more evenly spread out during the 3 days. I was told the LAOC raffle on Sunday brought a few more visitors to an otherwise slow day. And early Friday was definitely not the mad rush that it was last year...

It was surely a lot of fun!

Steve Williams

I missed the tape but KeithR says here that he heard the LZ l and it was quite an experience

The Select was truly an experience but it is a statement piece that mere mortals will never own. Even their DAC below that one starts at $40K and by the time you do the add ons you're easily at $50K

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Now that is true, Steve...

But see, what's left to go for once you have some of the best analog (vinyl and tape)? The best digital, of course :)

And unfortunately, the prices for state-of-the-art digital are just as high than state-of-the-art analog :( For instance, I heard that new Air Tight Opus 1 cartrdige on the Kronos, it was pretty incredible, but it's $15k. For a cartridge! And there's always that $40k Vertere tonearm doing the rounds too hehehe

BTW now that the show madness is over, I'll stop by for that visit!

cheers,
alex

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
MSB was one of the only good sounding rooms at Axpona as well. Their DAC is very good. I can't speak if it's entirely justifiable in all it's complicated, enormous, expensive rendition, but it's a winner.

I wish I would have heard the XLF's at this show. Maybe they would sound worth owning, let alone being the flagship, compared to Axpona.

Any thoughts on The Perfect 8 ? or Kyron?

There seems to be a lack of the lower priced market at THE show. That's ok, but some of them have stellar stuff being sold that has the same production cost as many of these brands, just with almost no markup. I don't think it's overly wise, but hey, if it sounds great it sounds great.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I'm not Steve, :b, but I had high expectations for Kyron, the big brother was on the floor at the Sydney audio show some time ago. And was quite disappointed - very hifi sound, it didn't do anything for me. The newer, smaller unit may be more refined as the makers keep learning - would be interested in other's opinions ...

Steve Williams

I'm not Steve, :b, but I had high expectations for Kyron, the big brother was on the floor at the Sydney audio show some time ago. And was quite disappointed - very hifi sound, it didn't do anything for me. The newer, smaller unit may be more refined as the makers keep learning - would be interested in other's opinions ...

Interesting because I agree with Frank here. I didn't stay long in the Kyron room

As for the Perfect 8 I have to admit that this is the third time UI have heard them but this was the first time that I actually liked the sound that I heard

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Perfect 8 sounded good to these ears, but I don't understand the cost at all. It also was on $$$$ Balabo electronics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing