Life is too short...listen to as much music as possible!!!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
The system title sums up why I do this and where I seek sanity breaks in life while indoors...

Alot of systems have come and gone since the late 70s,....two small turntable and cassette systems (my first with my father who had a local swing band and taught me the love of playing and listening to great music), two 'early tech' CD "college and after..." systems, then took several years off and jumped back into things with home-theater from the days of Laser Disc followed by DVD; 2.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, and then 7.1+2ch hyrid then over to 4.1. The time and funds required to also chase such HT+2ch hybrids is also not sustainable......at least not for most of us.

On a whim one day I stripped the 7.1+2-channel monster hybrid system down and set it up as "only" a 4.1 Dolby Digital and DTS config, with all full-range speakers and experienced the best HT and multi-channel sound of any system I'd been able to build to date!!!
In this same time period, I started to notice two things; I loved watching movies but could not wait to get back to my 2-channel listening experience and also the prospect of chasing both HT and 2-channel meant that I could never fully commit to a system "all the way" that kept up with the latest formats and gave me all that I was looking for in 2-ch.

After that,....all the HT related gear left the picture and I have focused since late 2008 on 2-channel digital->analog setups to get me closer to what I've looked for in the sound of my system for a very long time. The current setup gets me the closest to that goal I've ever heard out of this, and many other systems. I am enjoying it very much and focusing on the sound as opposed to "what's next" or "what's missing" for the first time ever. I'm very grateful with where I've been able to get to w.r.t. to the sound, imaging, energy and realism aspects of the system and how it conveys music. I've made a lot of friends and talked with many people on various forums learning much over the years. The system has attained a state of organic and natural qualities and pure enjoyment of music that I have sought for a very long time. Comments, questions, suggestions and conversations about music and gear are very much appreciated!!!

System as of today;

Legacy Audio AERIS Sapele-Pommele Cabernet & Black Pearl Finish
Legacy Audio Custom 10-post,6-way Terminal Plate
Esoteric Audio P-02 SOTA Transport
Esoteric Audio D-02 SOTA Dual-Mono DAC
Cybershaft (Japan) RBOCXO-01 10Mhz Premium Rubidium and OCXO Dual Master Clock 120V US Version
Esoteric Audio C-02 Dual-Mono Preamp
Esoteric Audio A-02 Master Soundworks Dual-Mono Stereo Amp
Legacy Audio / Boehmer Wavelet DAC-Preamp-Crossover-RoomEQ-DSP
HDPlex Limited Custom 100 Watt Linear Regulated DC Power Supply
Isotek Systems EVO3 SIGMAS Power Conditioner
Isotek Systems EVO3 TITAN Power Conditioner
Granite Audio Ground Zero Star-Grounding Station
Avatar Acoustics AFTERBURNER8 Outlets (5)
Cutler-Hammer, GE MLC and EP 20amp Dedicated Circuit (10gauge)
Environmental Potentials EP-2050 Surge Suppressor Wave-Form Correct
Environmental Potentials EP-2750 Ground Filter
Whole-House Ground CADWELD Kit & Dual Ground Rods
Adona Corporation AV45CS4 and AV45CS1 (multiple)
Composite Audio CF-2010 Platforms (multiple)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold Speaker Cables 9-foot (1 pair)
Elrod Power Systems Signature Gold Speaker Jumpers (2 pair)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold XLR 6-foot (1 pair)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold XLR 4-meter (1 pair)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold XLR 3-meter custom (1 pair)
Kubala-Sosna ELATION 1-meter XLR AES/EBU (2)
Kubala-Sosna EMOTION 50-ohm 2-meter custom-built and EMOTION 75-ohm 1-meter BNC:BNC
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold 20amp 10-foot PC (2)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Gold 15-amp 6-foot PC (3)
Elrod Power Systems Statement Silver PC 10-foot
Elrod Power Systems Statement Silver PC 6-foot
Elrod Power Systems Custom 15amp Power Extender
Kubala-Sosna Emotion Powercord 1.5m
Revelation Audio Labs CryoSilver Reference Custom-Built DC Umbilical
Isotek Systems ELITE 2-meter C19 20-amp
Isotek Systems ELITE 2m Neutrik Pwrcon to 20amp
B.M.C. PureUSB1 5-meter

Attachments

• NewGreerSC-System-View-LEFT1-20160304_115024.jpg
    NewGreerSC-System-View-LEFT1-20160304_115024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,366
  • NewGreerSC-System-View-CENTER-20160304_100424.jpg
    NewGreerSC-System-View-CENTER-20160304_100424.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,458
  • NewGreer-Legacy-AERIS-left-with-new-clock-20160415_091843.jpg
    NewGreer-Legacy-AERIS-left-with-new-clock-20160415_091843.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,299
  • NewGreerSC-System-View-RIGHT-20160304_100358.jpg
    NewGreerSC-System-View-RIGHT-20160304_100358.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 2,435
  • NewGreerSC-from-right-new-ElrodStmtGoldSpkrCables&others-1-20160330_044648.jpg
    NewGreerSC-from-right-new-ElrodStmtGoldSpkrCables&others-1-20160330_044648.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,315
Last edited:
Reactions: Kingrex

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
To all..thank you very much for your comments and compliments. I've received notifications of the replies but for some reason cannot see them here.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Please have patience gentlemen. There was an upgrade to the site yesterday that has unfortunately negatively affected certain things. Hopefully these issues will be resolved soon. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20828-An-Update-Snafu

On a different note, I see that you have many photos of trains. Did you work in the industry or is that yet another hobby of yours? Very nice system you have assembled there sir. Very nice. ;)

Tom

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
No worries...thanks for letting us know you are working on this! My father worked for American Locomotive (ALCO) in the days of steam locomotives as well as design
of the earliest super coal-fired gas turbine locomotives. Those are some of his photos over the years as he was also quite a photographer. Thanks for the comments...let's talk!

prerich

May 21, 2012
I love this system...nuff said from me :D!!!!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Thank you very much!!!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
As an aside, I've had excellent results in the last year moving to a dual-ground rod setup on advice of another audiophile whose father and he are both experienced electricians and audio lovers;

- new electric meter box and meter-head unit with fresh contacts, screws and all parts....
- use 2 10-foot solid copper ground rods hammered into the earth 8 feet apart at a minimum
- solid copper #4 wire (continuous segment, OFC at a minimum) to join each rod to the other and then immediately to the grounding point off the electric meter for the whole house
- use same gauge solid copper wire coming from the central ground attach point (off the meter) to the main house panel
- buy a custom-made "CADWELD" kit to permanently fuse the ground wire to both copper grounding rods...avoids the typical use of "clamps" to attach grounding wire to rods; clamps
loosen and corrode over time...

The resultant improvement moving from one ground rod to two and using CADWELD bonding was immediately noticeable and a very reasonable cost for the entire project...

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
This is the total set of 'power substrate' improvements I've made in the current house since moving in 2 years ago. Each of these bullet points represents one very good upgrade, taken together, they are really impressive to me in terms of how my system came to sound after completing them....they certainly together address the OP's question (IMHO).

*note the items below assume you don't have a higher-end solution like one of those monster Equitech or Torus house panels with own Isolation transformer, etc....

- reorganize main house panel so the dedicated circuit(s) for my audio system (in my case a split-off for a sub-panel) is the very first drop on the first leg of the main house panel (left leg as you look at panel)
- reorganize main house panel so all high draw and/or noisy power devices (washer, dryer, refrigerator, electric oven, microwave, heat pump/AC units, etc..) are on 2nd (right leg) of the panel
- balance rest of circuits so that left and right leg of house panel have equal/near-equal loads and you don't exceed code in any way
- ensure you have solid copper busbar(s) in your main house panel and sub-panel if you have one
- note the above may require some rerouting of incoming leads to each circuit breaker, while you are at it, ensure all your breakers are good quality and if necessary replace them with new to assure that…
- have an ENVIRONMENTAL POTENTIALS EP2050 WAVE-FORM REGENERATOR/SURGE SUPPRESSOR unit on main house panel (see my system listing here and on Audiogon for more details on EP units)
- apply one ENVIRONMENTAL POTENTIALS EP2750 GROUND FILTER to each dedicated circuit for your system in main house panel or sub-panel if you have one....; these are installed in the house panel or sub-panel as appropriate
- For outlets, after a lot of years/using many others, I prefer AVATAR ACOUSTICS AFTERBURNER8 duplex outlets....
- ISOTEK EVO3 TITAN power conditioner for main amplifiers (up to 2); in my case, my stereo amp and a bespoke HDPlex custom-built DC power supply for my WAVELET processor
- "tether" using a power cord with Neutrik "PowerCon" connectors, an ISOTEK EVO3 SIGMAS power condition to the EVO3 TITAN; all front-end/other equipment gets power from the SIGMAS....
- tethering the TITAN and SIGMAS together was recommended to me by the US Isotek distributor; I've not seen this solution applied in many systems but the results for me were extremely impressive to say the least
- use a star-grounding device of your choice for all equipment; I have used Granite Audio's "Ground Zero" for years. I cannot see my way clear to move "up" to one of those uber 5-figure grounding solutions that are out there (5-figure when you add up all the uber-expensive grounding cables that they tend to push you to purchase....they may be superior but I have not found a clear and compelling explanation from anyone as to what they actually provide that is "better" than the Granite Audio solution...

Any questions on the above, please let me know and I’ll be glad to help in any way that I can. As I’ve mentioned specific products above strongly, I want to be clear that I am not affiliated with any manufacturer, dealer or distributor as I am only a fellow “audio nut” and simply love this hobby!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
The system title sums up why I do this and where I seek sanity breaks in life while indoors...

Alot of systems have come and gone since the late 70s,....two small turntable and cassette systems (my first with my father who had a local swing band and taught me the love of playing and listening to great music), two 'early tech' CD "college and after..." systems, then took several years off and jumped back into things with home-theater from the days of Laser Disc followed by DVD; 2.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, and then 7.1+2ch hyrid then over to 4.1. The time and funds required to also chase such HT+2ch hybrids is also not sustainable......at least not for most of us.

On a whim one day I stripped the 7.1+2-channel monster hybrid system down and set it up as "only" a 4.1 Dolby Digital and DTS config, with all full-range speakers and experienced the best HT and multi-channel sound of any system I'd been able to build to date!!!
In this same time period, I started to notice two things; I loved watching movies but could not wait to get back to my 2-channel listening experience and also the prospect of chasing both HT and 2-channel meant that I could never fully commit to a system "all the way" that kept up with the latest formats and gave me all that I was looking for in 2-ch.

After that,....all the HT related gear left the picture and I have focused since late 2008 on 2-channel digital->analog setups to get me closer to what I've looked for in the sound of my system for a very long time. The current setup gets me the closest to that goal I've ever heard out of this, and many other systems. I am enjoying it very much and focusing on the sound as opposed to "what's next" or "what's missing" for the first time ever. I'm very grateful with where I've been able to get to w.r.t. to the sound, imaging, energy and realism aspects of the system and how it conveys music. I've made a lot of friends and talked with many people on various forums learning much over the years. The system has attained a state of organic and natural qualities and pure enjoyment of music that I have sought for a very long time. Comments, questions, suggestions and conversations about music and gear are very much appreciated!!!

System as of today;

Cybershaft (Japan) RBOCXO-01 10Mhz Premium Rubidium and OCXO Dual Master Clock 120V US Version
Harmonic Resolution Systems DPX Large Dampening Plates Silver (5)
Harmonic Resolution Systems DPS Large Dampening Plates Black (3)
Harmonic Resolution Systems DPX Medium Dampening Plates Black (2)
Kubala-Sosna EMOTION 50-ohm 2-meter custom-built and EMOTION 75-ohm 1-meter BNC:BNC
B.M.C. PureUSB1 5-meter

Added HRS DPX Dampening Plates to the system list above.....

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013

I just want to audition that system before I die.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
There are 4 known members in the local area, including myself. I haven't had a chance to speak with you yet but I have spoken with the other two. They are interested in listening to each others systems and perhaps starting a local chapter. One of us is in Greer, one in Raleigh and the other 2 are in Charlotte. Maybe we can all GTG sometime soon. The last time we were to meet up, one or more of us had scheduling conflicts that kept rearing their head. Soon.

Tom

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
There are 4 known members in the local area, including myself. I haven't had a chance to speak with you yet but I have spoken with the other two. They are interested in listening to each others systems and perhaps starting a local chapter. One of us is in Greer, one in Raleigh and the other 2 are in Charlotte. Maybe we can all GTG sometime soon. The last time we were to meet up, one or more of us had scheduling conflicts that kept rearing their head. Soon.

Tom

Most definitely interested in doing some listening amongst all our systems!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
You have a fantastic system, beautiful room. I hope you are enjoying the damping plates? Have you heard the changes they make in the system?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
You have a fantastic system, beautiful room. I hope you are enjoying the damping plates? Have you heard the changes they make in the system?

Thank you very much...am expecting them in later this week or early next at the latest. I got the jump on adding them to the system manifest in anticipation :D! Will be adding
them one at a time starting with Transport or possibly, from the 'other end' of the chain with the Wavelet RoomEQ and building up to see if I can detect changes at every step.

Have a great day!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Thank you very much!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Updated system components list,...major improvement in the 50-ohm 8N clocking cable area with the 8N-A2000. Finally found the last 1 available new on the globe or so it would seem...

HRS Dampening plates are arrived on Friday so that should also be a very noticeable improvement all around! More details to follow...

Harmonic Resolution Systems DPX Large Dampening Plates Silver (5)
Harmonic Resolution Systems DPS Large Dampening Plates Black (3)
Harmonic Resolution Systems DPX Medium Dampening Plates Black (2)
Esoteric/MEXCEL 8N-A2000 BNC:BNC 50-ohm 1.5-meter Master Clock Cable
B.M.C. PureUSB1 5-meter

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Well...I took the plunge! As of yesterday, I have Harmonic Resolution (HRS) DPX (3" thick) dampening plates on my Esoteric P-02 Transport, Cybershaft clock, Isotek EVO3 TITAN (2) and Esoteric A-02 Amp. I have 5 more standing by to be applied to my D-02 DAC, C-02 Preamp, Isotek EVO3 SIGMAS and Legacy Wavelet but I have to disassemble the system and 3 racks to raise levels to make room for these thick plates on top of the remaining units.

With the Adona racks, Composite Audio platforms and heavy duty build quality of the Esoteric and Isotek gear I have, I would have never thought I had much side effect from component vibration from the air or otherwise as the system sounds greats, images extremely well. The Cybershaft, HDPlex and Legacy Wavelet were not a major issue due to the racks and isolation platforms I utilized despite their not being built like tanks like the Esoteric and Isotek gear as my images were very tight, accurate, good staging, musical, etc...

It turns out that set of conclusions is VERY incorrect; the HRS dampening plates provide immediate and very noticeable results in a distinct 'tightening up' of images, better transients and attack and clarity around notes that is particularly noticeable on tenor sax solos, double-bass note plucks/strikes, vocals, etc... I am very impressed by the bang for the buck/ROI aspect of these very reasonably priced plates!

20161025_115442.jpg 20161025_115030.jpg 20161026_032933.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing