Air Force 1 Premium - New Flagship

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I can’t answer that question without listening to them back to back. Working from memory the Classic 45 is significantly better than the Classic 33.

almost like a different recording with the 45.

the Gounod 45 4-disc is likely my all time most dynamic large scale classical demo disc......and often played. a force of nature. that's one that the ML3's can't really handle right.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I have that Gounod "Faust" in the store, 1S/1S original, but... it's a mono! Now you all got me curious, and I'll try it on tomorrow!

cheers

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have that Gounod "Faust" in the store, 1S/1S original, but... it's a mono! Now you all got me curious, and I'll try it on tomorrow!

cheers

Geez Alex, I read you had Gounod 1s1s in the store and I got excited, then I read...mono!:rolleyes:
Darn it, you had me going there for a minute, lol.:D

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Does anyone have a theory as to why an air-everything turntable with vinyl record vacuum hold-down sounds better with a record clamp?

Everything doesn't sound better with a record weight, vacuum hold down or not. In general a record weight will dampen the sound the mass and materials of the weight does have a bearing on how much and which frequencies are effected. Similarly vacuum hold down isn't to everyone's tastes, some prefer to use some kind of a clamp or weight over the vacuum system. In case of AF1 there are multiple platters with differing tonal balance the weight will very change the balance and depending on the rest of the setup and platter on might or might not favor weights or clamps, it doesn't have universal appeal.

david

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
almost like a different recording with the 45.

the Gounod 45 4-disc is likely my all time most dynamic large scale classical demo disc......and often played. a force of nature. that's one that the ML3's can't really handle right.

I'm going to dust off my 45 copy and do a direct comparison with the 1s. It would not surprise me from a sonic's performance standpoint, that the 45 would win. There is some special magic however on the original issue that is hard to describe that is not there on the reissues cut a half a century later. It is subjective at best and makes it hard to justify the cost of the real deal. I guess you need to catch a bit of collectors bug in the classical arena. It is an expensive but addicting itch to scratch especially if you go for the great original UK pressings from DECCA, Columbia (SAX, 33CX), His Master's Voice (ASD, ALP) and Philips UK first edition pressings, ect.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Does anyone have a theory as to why an air-everything turntable with vinyl record vacuum hold-down sounds better with a record clamp?

It doesn't. It's all subjective. Sometimes I use a record weight on the AF1, sometimes I don't. It may be a music genre decision or even a particular title within a genre, they way you are feeling, hearing that day... There are no absolutes (at least for me). Variety is the spice of life...(I know that it getting old ;))

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
One of main reason that many people bought the AF1 or AF1 PREMIUM or the other TechDAS turntables as this turntable come with complete air technologies , not just the air bearing but include Vacuum hold down and isolate air feet . The reason why TechDAS disc stabilizer made TechDAS turntables sound better already explain by TechDAS literature , mainly about to eliminate surface vibration. I don't know how TechDAS disc stabilizer will effective with other turntable but for TechDAS Turntable it made sound much better than didn't use for sure , but people will like or not is depend:):):)

Attachments

• IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 294

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
Nice presentation setup TechDAS AF1 PREMIUM with GRAHAM ELITE TITANIUM ARMWAND and ULTIMATE TUNGSTEN DISC STABILIZER in HK :):):)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1443.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1443.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 218
  • fullsizeoutput_1442.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1442.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 221
  • fullsizeoutput_1436.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1436.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 217
  • fullsizeoutput_143d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_143d.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 214
  • fullsizeoutput_143b.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_143b.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: Audire

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although I read reviews mostly for information and entertainment, it is always nice when we find that a known and considered reviewer agrees with our point of view. :cool: Michael Fremer recently reviewed the upgraded TechDAS Air Force One Premium and writes what I have a few times expressed about it - "However, in terms of smoothness, sonic sophistication, background blackness, and yes, the unmeasurable aforementioned serenity (which is not a euphemism for boredom!), I have to give the nod to the Air Force One Premium." (Quoting MF)

Yes, one of the reasons I appreciate the AF1P is the master tape like serenity, much closer to the Studer A80 than to other excellent turntables I have tried.

Full review at https://www.stereophile.com/content...um-turntable-graham-engineering-elite-tonearm

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You can buy a Kronos Pro at much less $ to get the sound close to the Studer on audiophile recordings. Personally I don't think the AF1P sounds like tape. I also don't think tape has the background blackness. The AF1P has the quiet background characteristic closer to digital. Of course only my opinion.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You can buy a Kronos Pro at much less $ to get the sound close to the Studer on audiophile recordings. Personally I don't think the AF1P sounds like tape. I also don't think tape has the background blackness. The AF1P has the quiet background characteristic closer to digital. Of course only my opinion.

I listened to the Kronos Pro only a few times and IMHO it does not have the aforementioned serenity of the AF1P , the main aspect I was addressing and I also find in the Studer. For me quiet background is completely different from blackness, but we are entering semantics.

Again IMHO blackness is created by the absence of artifacts, not just by the signal to noise ratio.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Although I read reviews mostly for information and entertainment, it is always nice when we find that a known and considered reviewer agrees with our point of view. Michael Fremer recently reviewed the upgraded TechDAS Air Force One Premium and writes what I have a few times expressed about it - "However, in terms of smoothness, sonic sophistication, background blackness, and yes, the unmeasurable aforementioned serenity (which is not a euphemism for boredom!), I have to give the nod to the Air Force One Premium." (Quoting MF)

Yes, one of the reasons I appreciate the AF1P is the master tape like serenity, much closer to the Studer A80 than to other excellent turntables I have tried.

Full review at https://www.stereophile.com/content...um-turntable-graham-engineering-elite-tonearm

MF AF1 and AF1p reviews are very mild. Reading between the lines he did not like them. And about the AF1 he confirmed it here in his words "that he gave less than an enthusiastic review"

Reactions: jeff1225

TLi

May 27, 2016
I used Air Force One for about a year and upgraded to Air Force One Premium. There is obvious improvement between the two.

Air Force series turntables have great potentials. User can change the sound easily to suit his taste. I changed the DC cable from the power supply/controller box to the motor. It brought very significant improvement. Some of my friends who are also Air Force One users change the air pipe and air reservoir tank, it dramatically change the sound. Not to mention we can change the upper platter to titanium, the difference is huge.

I informed my findings to the TechDAS team, they changed the DC cable in Air Force Zero and they said the result was good. As for the air pipe and reservoir tank, Nishikawa san said he himself has tried many different combinations and found his settings were the best compromise, but it doesn’t prevent users to try his own settings.

Air pipe and air bottle are standard laboratory equipment, they can easily purchased online and are not expensive.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I listened to the Kronos Pro only a few times and IMHO it does not have the aforementioned serenity of the AF1P , the main aspect I was addressing and I also find in the Studer. For me quiet background is completely different from blackness, but we are entering semantics.

Again IMHO blackness is created by the absence of artifacts, not just by the signal to noise ratio.

Francisco, shall we ask PeterA what he thinks about terms like "blackness"? Lol

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
MF AF1 and AF1p reviews are very mild. Reading between the lines he did not like them. And about the AF1 he confirmed it here in his words "that he gave less than an enthusiastic review"

Curiously I never try to read between the lines in a review. I read the facts and direct opinions and forget about the audio gossip, so much loved by some people ...

Anyway, after reading your post I re-read the review more carefully. Fortunately it is an excellent review with plenty of material and well documented concerning the subjective opinions. Reading in the lines, it shows me why I have loved it even when it belonged to the previous owner (a top audiophile and good friend) and I could not prevent from getting it when he decide to sell it at a very fair price.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I used Air Force One for about a year and upgraded to Air Force One Premium. There is obvious improvement between the two.

Air Force series turntables have great potentials. User can change the sound easily to suit his taste. I changed the DC cable from the power supply/controller box to the motor. It brought very significant improvement. Some of my friends who are also Air Force One users change the air pipe and air reservoir tank, it dramatically change the sound. Not to mention we can change the upper platter to titanium, the difference is huge.

I informed my findings to the TechDAS team, they changed the DC cable in Air Force Zero and they said the result was good. As for the air pipe and reservoir tank, Nishikawa san said he himself has tried many different combinations and found his settings were the best compromise, but it doesn’t prevent users to try his own settings.

Air pipe and air bottle are standard laboratory equipment, they can easily purchased online and are not expensive.
Thanks. I use an extra surge tank and long pipe, as agreed with TechDAS, that improved the performance of the AF1P. I can easily accept that a static air tank is the optimum air source. How long are your pipes?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Curiously I never try to read between the lines in a review. I read the facts and direct opinions and forget about the audio gossip, so much loved by some people ...

Anyway, after reading your post I re-read the review more carefully. Fortunately it is an excellent review with plenty of material and well documented concerning the subjective opinions. Reading in the lines, it shows me why I have loved it even when it belonged to the previous owner (a top audiophile and good friend) and I could not prevent from getting it when he decide to sell it at a very fair price.

Ok, based on these posts I thought you were an avid between the lines reader

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing