transparent Gen 5

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I was in the market for a balanced Transparent Reference MM2 cable between preamp and DAC, planning to pay $2,000 max (waiting for one to show up on audiogon). I Gen 5 was just listed for $3,500 (MSRP $5,500). (A) You think it is worth the extra $$$? (B) is $3,500 a fair price? These cables have just been out for a year or so, so I don't know what they trade for as percentage of MSRP.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I was in the market for a balanced Transparent Reference MM2 cable between preamp and DAC, planning to pay $2,000 max (waiting for one to show up on audiogon). I Gen 5 was just listed for $3,500 (MSRP $5,500). (A) You think it is worth the extra $$$? (B) is $3,500 a fair price? These cables have just been out for a year or so, so I don't know what they trade for as percentage of MSRP.

The Gen 5 versions are a bit better. That said, MM2, is no slouch. Have you called a Transparent dealer? They have a certified used program. This allows you to get the tuning service for free as equipment changes...I suspect you could get your MM2 versions for around your 2k price. As for the Gen 5 price...it's just below 70% off...which is what Transparent would trade that cable in for a upgrade. Not sure you'll see the Gen 5's much lower given they are pretty new on the market...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The Gen 5 versions are a bit better. That said, MM2, is no slouch. Have you called a Transparent dealer? They have a certified used program. This allows you to get the tuning service for free as equipment changes...I suspect you could get your MM2 versions for around your 2k price. As for the Gen 5 price...it's just below 70% off...which is what Transparent would trade that cable in for a upgrade. Not sure you'll see the Gen 5's much lower given they are pretty new on the market...

Thanks. I'm a little on the fence about this transaction. I actually offered $3,000, and will probably stick with this. If the seller does not bite, I'll hold out for a used MM2 to show up....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Seller came through for $3,000. Turns out he is a Nobel prize winning astrophysicist. How cool is that. These better sound good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Seller came through for $3,000. Turns out he is a Nobel prize winning astrophysicist. How cool is that. These better sound good.

Did you check if he was an objectivist or subjectivist?

Reactions: gian60 and wfojas

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Nice !! On the price... Great to see a Nobel prize winner as a audiophile !

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And they buy those high $$ cables , now i am really doubting myself lol , the world has gone mad :D
anyway congrats , ... do they sound different ???

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
And they buy those high $$ cables , now i am really doubting myself lol , the world has gone mad :D

I won't be able to tell. First, I need to get my new preamp in (the forthcoming PS Audio) first. Second, I won't have a reference to compare, because I am going DAC direct now.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I see , i m personally more of the change one at a time approach , because its otherwise pretty hard to tell what made what sound differerent , imo

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I see , i m personally more of the change one at a time approach , because its otherwise pretty hard to tell what made what sound differerent , imo

True. But if you have a greenfield situation and insert a preamp into a system where none existed before, there is nothing to change. You just have to pick a cable.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Upon reflection, I am using a run of Reference MM2 between DAC and amp. I can replace this with Gen V for a direct comparison between cables. This should be fun. Stay tuned. I'm not expecting much difference to be honest, but I may be surprised...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Upon reflection, I am using a run of Reference MM2 between DAC and amp. I can replace this with Gen V for a direct comparison between cables. This should be fun. Stay tuned. I'm not expecting much difference to be honest, but I may be surprised...

My vote, from my experience, is a mild surprise - same character just more of what the mm2 provides. Looking forward to your thoughts.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
More good news on the Transparent cable front. As I was shopping for the IC, an MM2 SC showed up for $1,400 (at least $1,000 below value). I scooped it up immediately and resold in 4 hours for $2,700. I've been buying stuff on audiogon for well over a decade, but never came across such an opportunity....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Compared the MM2 against the Gen V (between DAC and poweramp). Gen V appears to be faster and more detailed, the MM2 sounds somewhat warmer. I could easily live with both.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Compared the MM2 against the Gen V (between DAC and poweramp). Gen V appears to be faster and more detailed, the MM2 sounds somewhat warmer. I could easily live with both.

Good to know. Thanks for that...if you have the time to put a few more listening notes, that would be fun reading.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Good to know. Thanks for that...if you have the time to put a few more listening notes, that would be fun reading.

+1. I found its one of those things that keeps sneaking up on you. I would not disagree with edorr, but suspect a little more awaiting in gen 5. That said. Mm2 is still outstanding totally in agreement

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Newbie forum user here. I just discovered this community and feel I can add some perspective on this particular topic. I purchased my first Transparent cable in 1993 and have been a customer ever since. I've been through their entire range over the years. Currently have Opus MM2 speaker cables and Ref XL or equivalent on all other interconnects, clock cables etc. Each and every time I paid handsomely for an upgrade, I was rewarded with an increase in performance. I don't think about it any more, just get the upgrades when available. My SC's are headed to Maine on Saturday for an upgrade to the Gen 5 configuration. It is pretty pricey but I know from 20+ years of experience that it will be worth the price of admission.

Cincy

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Newbie forum user here. I just discovered this community and feel I can add some perspective on this particular topic. I purchased my first Transparent cable in 1993 and have been a customer ever since. I've been through their entire range over the years. Currently have Opus MM2 speaker cables and Ref XL or equivalent on all other interconnects, clock cables etc. Each and every time I paid handsomely for an upgrade, I was rewarded with an increase in performance. I don't think about it any more, just get the upgrades when available. My SC's are headed to Maine on Saturday for an upgrade to the Gen 5 configuration. It is pretty pricey but I know from 20+ years of experience that it will be worth the price of admission.

Cincy

Hi Cincy, I did the MM2 to Gen5 Opus SC upgrade last fall. You won't be disappointed :) Very well said above in your quote !

Also...Hopefully you can try a Opus Source power cord soon...maybe one on your DAC to start...careful...one bitten....you know where this is going !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Cincy

I am with you Cincy...nice system by the way! Congrats on te Magico M3!!! I started with Transp Ref speaker cable (2nd hand) in 2005 or so...it was a Ref (the same generation as when XL first came out), went to XL MM2 via an interesting trade that was a bit too good to pass up and now to Opus Gen 5. I am contemplating upgrading my RefMM2 ICs (which sits just below the old Opus MM2). We shall see.

My observations are entirely consistently with yours it seems, and with JFrechs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing