$20K Avantgardes - Best $20K speaker - New or Used?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Heard these at Axpona and they were spectacular, even at a show in a small hotel room. Sure there are exceptions - if one can find a used MBL 101, Soundlab, or Wilson/ Magico / Vivid , if that's one preference, at a firesale price. But all of these require very expensive amplification to sound good.

The speed and inner detail of the Avantgardes are nonpareil at this price point. It already has built-in amps...Not sure if takes an external dac, or if you stuck with the avantgarde dac. But with a good turntable there is not much more one can ask for at $20K.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..which model was at AXPONA?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
At that price point, I'm assuming it's the Zero 1 XD.

It has built-in amps and a DAC. You can hook up an external DAC, but that is kinda silly, as it'll go through A-D anyway. Same for the turntable, if you plug a phono stage in the analog input, it'll go through A-D.

I do agree with caesar though, that it's a killer package. Very fast (like horns) and punchy, thanks to the powered, sealed woofers. And driver integration is top notch. Just plug a source and you're good to go!

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Heard these in a showroom recently and was quite disappointed.
Not sure if they were set up properly - seating position was almost near field and they were right back against the wall.
They lacked the dynamics I would expect from horns. No sense of scale either.

I'd like to hear them a bit more carefully set up before I pass any further opinions though.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Exact same experience here, Whatmore, with poor driver integration to throw into the mix too. They were on my radar at the time and I was looking for something new, but that dem put me off sufficiently that I didn't even test them again. Maybe I should have!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
As I said, it has to be the Zero 1 XD, as it costs $21k. The Uno XD is $35k.

The Zero 1 has a limitation in terms of positioning. You must be sitting anywhere between 6.5 feet to 13 feet from the speakers for the driver integration to "work". If you're closer or further away, the sound will fall apart noticeably.

It also takes a bit of time to set up, with proper toe-in. Even with that wide baffle, they can be made to disappear, if positioned right.

cheers,
alex

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Trios with bass horns are among my top 2 favorites, but the smaller ones sound plasticky to me. The Zero IMO is good for someone who wants a simple system, no boxes, only speakers, and put them in a corner for loud music. But there would be other alternatives

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing