Our upcoming Turntable Setup Video -- Please offer your suggestions.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I've been wanting to do a complete turntable setup video for audiophiles (a free video) and I hope to get started with filming next month. I'm using the TriangleART Signature turntable in our listening space, which I believe is a good candidate for a setup tutorial.

One main goal I have is to provide pretty much everything an audiophile would need to set up a turntable at least as complex as this, but in a way a non-audiophile can understand and follow; thus it won't include explanations about differing geometries or how/why things work. I also want to focus on using the most economical methods (particularly when expensive options don't necessarily result in better sound).

I've scribbled my notes below, trying to keep it somewhat organized by topics. You may see I forgot something you would recommend including or just have some general comments about what you've seen in setup tutorials that you liked (or not). Thanks for your feedback.

--------

Getting Started – read your manual, examine parts, talk to dealer/manufacturer, understand adjustment features and assembly/disassembly, what tools will you need for making adjustments

What will you need – test disc, tools (screw drivers, Allen wrenches, etc), bright light, jeweler loupe, bubble level, protractor, digital scale

Tonearm - how is it adjusted (understand before mounting cartridge)

Cartridge mount – does it fit your tonearm, how does it fasten, connecting wires, ridges and adjustment, cartridge break in, cartridge stylus protector, compliance considerations, clean contacts, recommended tracking downforce

Level platter and table – bubble level (measure level over cartridge path)

Azimuth - CD mirror test, Multimeter test disc test, don't bridge to mono

SRA – manufacturer’s starting point, setting by ear, show ortofon diagram

Phono Pre – MC vs MM setup, interconnect type

Tracking Force – digital scale, relation to SRA

Protractor - Measure Spindle distance, Print Conrad Vinyl Engine sheet (compare to expensive protractor), overhang, Lofgren B

Platter Speed – Download app, test disc track

Anti-skate

Grounding

Final Touches – hunt brush, magic eraser, zerostat, onzow, test disc demag track, cantilever replacement examination

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think it will be more on how you structure the content, i.e. instead of having one long video, I would prefer if the video started with an high level overview covering everything, and details of each set up sub-activity (e.g. using a protractor) should be a different video that one can link to. This will allow a newbie to set up an arm and a cart, but at a later date to go into more advanced details

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Excellent feedback Bonzo75. I was planning to include a table of contents by time at the beginning, so viewers could jump to a section. I'm hesitant to produce a collection of mini videos (maybe there should be one long one as well as a collection broken up by individual topics). One long video with a TOC lacks interactivity. I was wondering if YouTube technology allows for links that can jump to a point in a video. I'm leaning toward doing a comprehensive video and also posting links to clips for each topic below.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Discuss:

Audible effects of cartridge loading

Audible effects of temp on cartridge

Audible effects of VTF

Audible effects of SRA/VTA

Audible effects of antiskate

Audible effects of tonearm mass - and related - audible effects of counterweight positioning

Audible effects of cartridge/tonearm resonant frequency

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The art of spinning:

- Where to put that turntable...
- Testing for vibrations: floor, speakers (lower frequencies), walls, ...
- Subsonic philter; phono preamp.
- Effects of various weights (cart).
- RIAA curve EQ.
- How to position and make good contact with the cart's four wires.
- Speed adjust.
- Motor and the importance of its isolation.
- Belts maintenance.
- Stylus lubrification after each play.
- Different recordings (pressings) requiring optimal adjustment.
- Mono/Stereo carts.
- Feedback designed amplifier.
- High frequencies optimization.
- Ideal midrange for various music genres: Classical, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Pop, Folk, New Age, Alternative, Electronica, Country, Easy Listening, Opera and Choral, Chamber, Orchestral, ...

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Thank you Jim and NorthStar.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would very much like to see a comparison of different azimuth adjustment aids: Fozgometer versus digital multi-meter versus Clearaudio Azimuth Optimizer, and whether someone should solve for level balance or phase balance.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Thanks for your feedback Ron. I hope the video will end up close to 30 minutes and I don’t want it to go longer than 60.

To accommodate the time limit I can only cover things that apply to the vast majority of situations or differences between equally valid approaches. I'll present what I believe is the best general approach, with respect to cost and performance.

I’m glad you brought up the subject of Azimuth and SRA, because when I was getting back into vinyl, I spent a solid week doing Google searches, posting on forums and calling my expert contacts, to understand these two topics. I found there’s as much disagreement and confusion on these both than anything else I’ve encountered in audio, but they’re fun to debate.

Here are my personal opinions on Azimuth and SRA:

My friend Tom Vu, who designed the TriangleART turntables, tonearms and cartridges, uses the shiny side of a CD to set his Azimuth. The sound in his rooms at audio shows around the world is regularly regarded as being in the top level, compared to other rooms. When it comes to sound quality performance and Azimuth, I believe that if you can’t see asymmetry in the reflection you won’t hear it in the sound (you can see very minor differences). However, you can also measure azimuth using a multimeter and the R/L tracks on the test disc. Nothing wrong with using a Fozgometer, Feickert software or other tools, but they’re more expensive than a multimeter and will produce the same results.

SRA is even more contentious. I know how to do setup with a microscope. I believe setting SRA to a predefined angle and not listening is wrong, because in addition to articulation, SRA has some effect on tonal balance and you may want to adjust it for synergy with the rest of the system. I do initial SRA based on the cartridge manufacturer’s recommended starting point; then I put on Fleetwood Mac, Rumors, Never Going Back Again track, for fine tuning listening. I find when the acoustic guitar moves into the higher frequencies, adjusting the phase/timing in the harmonics is one of the easiest ways to hear this. Using a microscope to identify a starting point if you do a lot of setups can speed things up, but I don’t believe a microscope is the right way to go for 90% of audiophiles or that it improves sound quality.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
My Comprehensive Turntable Setup video is in the final stages of editing and I expect to post it within the next 2 weeks. Here's a look at the contents.

• Getting Started
  • Leveling
  • Tonearm/Cartridge Parts
  • Cartridge Installation
  • Cartridge Output
  • Cartridge Compliance
  • Cartridge Geometry
  • Downforce
  • Anti Skate
  • Platter Speed
  • Azimuth
  • SRA
  • Silent groove
  • Final Touches

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Cartridge geometry will always be a controversial subject - some people will want to use the manufacturer directions and guidelines, others will prefer alternative geometries such as Baerwald, Loefgren or Stevenson.

IMHO anti skating is also a nebulous zone ...

Vinylengine is a great site for information on these divergences.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Turntable "Controversy"

I don't disagree completely, but I feel much of the "controversy" is caused by "experts" making very complicated explanations of very simple concepts.

Turntable geometry consists of a few mathematical equations, of the type that high school students do. The amount of distortion with a certain geometry varies according to the distance from the start and end of a particular record to the center (see the graphs below). Whether you use Lofgren A (also known as Baerwald) or Lofgren B (avoid Stevenson), the amount of total distortion over an entire album is roughly the same, the only substantial difference is where the distortion occurs on the album.

You can spend $300 on a Feickert protractor or search the ends of the earth for the perfect tool, but you won't hear the result in your sound. I have a new post on the Jaguar Blog page describing the Conrad Protractor Generator, which is a free software that will print a template according to whatever specs you choose. The Conrad is not as convenient as the expensive tools, but the results are just as accurate.

LofgrenA.jpg
LofgrenB.jpg
Stevenson.jpg
* Source: John Elison http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1013273

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I don't disagree completely, but I feel much of the "controversy" is caused by "experts" making very complicated explanations of very simple concepts.

Fully agree, cartridge setup is a skill and not rocket science as it's made out to be by some!

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing