Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tonearm ranking

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    The two carts are so different though to do compares. The bass issue might be due to the cart difference. I would never use a koetsu for a compare unless you are trying to identify koetsu attributes... The cart is quite different and shows a very high variance across implementations
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    The two carts are so different though to do compares. The bass issue might be due to the cart difference. I would never use a koetsu for a compare unless you are trying to identify koetsu attributes... The cart is quite different and shows a very high variance across implementations
    To my way of thinking: Are the two tonearms able to optimise the same cartridge in order to perform a like for like comparison? Or are their parameters sufficiently divergent to the point where it would not be possible to put the same cartridge on both arms without the cartridge parameters obviously giving one arm a misleading advantage over the other one?

It seems obvious that a comparison requires the same cartridge however this can only be a reasonable determinate if the both tonearms' parameters match the cartridge.

To throw the cat among the pigeons, on top of that we still have the vexed issue of tonearm/cartridge synergy which leaves even great pairings of superb cartridges and superb arms leaving something to be desired.
    Turntable/Arm - Yamaha GT 2000/Yamaha YSA-1
    Cartridge - Soundsmith The Voice(Ebony)
    Phono stage - Moon LP 5.3
    Preamp - Hornshoppe The Truth
    Speakers - KRK Expose E8B Mastering Monitors

Turntable support counts as another component. 21 Clearaudio Magix and more.

Blog Entries
    Hi I am not saying carts should always be identical. You can also use a Tonearm 1 + Cart 1 combo vs Tonearm 2 vs Cart 2 combo for synergy. After you compare, you can do a common cart compare to check for any synergy or lack of that exists in the arm and cart. Problem is when you throw a Koetsu in the mix. It has a very specific sound and shows a very high variance across set ups, unlike say Lyra or Zyx
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    one better is the SAT with the titanium wand that TechDas does
    They only make them for Graham arms, SAT is made from carbon fiber.

david
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher
    Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    Distribution: NEODIO
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Special Sales: van den Hul
    System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Come on Ked. You would be blind if you didnt see I wrote about the "combos" work in progress and I havent drawn any conclusion. New arms, carts take quite a while to breakin. You know I have the resource if I really want to compare just arms. However, in this case, Mr.Dietrich said his arm/cart combo has best synergy and sound best. So, Why not try his best vs another formidden combo of mine .

Kind regards,
    Tang

Blog Entries
    Tang... My point is that the axiom combo is fine for the compare, but the other combo should include atlas, Opus, etc, not Koetsu

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Very interesting, Tang! My personal project (which I presently have no way to pursue) is to figure out if, for a Koetsu, the Axiom is the modern Fidelity Research FR-66S.

I would be very fascinated to hear your comparison of the same Coralstone cartridge on your SAT versus your Axiom.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

Blog Entries
    For that you need to compare FR and axiom

I think audio blazer and his friends have coral Stone with axiom, you can check with them. Don't think they liked the coral.

Today Dietrich the Axiom tonearm guy came to redo my setup of Axiom/Palladian. He did his things while I was having meeting most of the day. An hour ago I entered the room to listen. The sound is now excellent. This combo is now playing on the same level as my SAT combos, but with different tone. More body than Opus and Coralstone on SAT. High extension is not as good but more majestic in bottom end. Energy, pace, resolution and innerdetail are all here now. He changed armboard to a new one and gave me titanium headshell screws. When I left the room, He was measuring distances and dimension of my EMT and said he could customize the Axiom to fit my 927 from the rear .

Name:  20171212_121826_resized.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  1.02 MB

Tang

Blog Entries
    Wow amazing. Just through sheer set up, no additional cost of components. I forget... Is your SAT Opus on the same table?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast