New Video of the Jaguar Listening Studio. -- Check it out!

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Check out our new video of the Jaguar Listening Studio and our Reference System. This video has been about 18 months in the making, putting the system and room together, assembling the video production kit and learning how to use it. Please provide your ideas and vigorous critiques about what you might have done differently with the video, any issues you see with the color, timing, which shots you find the least interesting, etc. Your feedback will make the next one better, so don't hold back.

WB video embed doesn't seem to allow for full-screen viewing, so I'm providing a link to the video on my Blog page.

http://www.jaguaraudiodesign.com/blog/1028/jaguar-listening-studio-video-2016/

The Room

The acoustic panels are from RPG Acoustics, including eight 2ft tuned corner bass trap sections and a pair of 4' x 5' broadband bass panels. The ceiling is ringed by two dozen 2' x 2' curved (Broadband Absorption and Diffusion) BAD panels, with an additional 2" layer of rigid fiberglass in the wood frames. The ceiling panel is a 36 sq/ft collection of flat BAD panels; we originally planned a 64 sq/ft panel, but scaled it back, with the potential to expand it later. I have about 500hrs invested in building the frames and installing room treatments. If you've never tried mounting 600lbs of acoustic panels on an 18ft ceiling, I can't recommend it.

The acrylic rack was built by a local plastics fabricator, according to our specs, as were the speaker platforms, which have Townshend shock absorbers inserted between layers. Speaker suspension platforms are a typical feature with systems we build.

The coffee table was built by a a local woodworker, according out our design. The painting was done by a young Seattle artist named Noah Neighbor, who does a lot of interesting work.

Filming

The filming was done on my Panasonic GH4 / Lumix 18-35mm lens and edited on Final Cut. I was originally planning to use a Vivaldi string quartet for the music, but decided to go with the electronic piece. A 2nd video wasn't really an option, because I did too much footage without a tripod and it was unusable.

The Jaguar System

Here's the gear currently in the Jaguar Reference System:

http://www.jaguaraudiodesign.com/in-homedesign/referencesystem.html

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm a bit confused. You used highly efficient, attractive, well placed and brilliantly designed passive room treatment (Dr. Peter D'Antonio is very smart) yet you have a hard surface coffee table between the speakers and the listening position. It may be a practical place to put literature and marketing material, but, in my opinion, it is an absolute no-no for listening to 2 channel music. Or maybe it was just for the video??

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Thank you Audioguy. When I have more than a few people over for company the table is often pushed into the kitchen to get it out of the way and to make more room. A bigger concern I had than reflections from the table was it physically blocking sound waves from lower placed drivers, but that hasn't been an issue with speakers I've had in our listening space recently.

Yes, in theory having a table between the speakers and your listening position is not ideal (nor is it ideal to have a rack or gear between the speakers) . However, in practice, the improvement with moving the table out of the way is so small it's hardly worth the effort, so I don't move it often. Of course the TV screen on the back wall isn't ideal either. I did go to a 65" screen when I found a larger screen was interfering with the sound. I don't tend to use speakers with super extended or rear-firing treble in our systems, so I've found with proper speaker placement I can get sound that excites me, without clearing everything else out of the room. I have keep these factors in mind when selecting speakers and I do go to extremes at times for sound, but sometimes it's just about trade-offs.

Last edited:

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Here's an updated version of my Listening Space video.

I did more work to improve the color. My Panasonic plasma screen is in theory perfect for color correction, but there seems to be a problem causing the whitepoint and blackpoint colors to drift; it's still decent for watching TV, but almost impossible for me to calibrate for color correction work. However, I've figured out a few tricks with the video editing scopes that allowed me to output a wider color range.

[video=vimeo;179991224]https://vimeo.com/179991224[/video]

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing