Active crossover speakers/systems - what are current options?

mirekti

Feb 3, 2015
Dallas, TX
I wondered what is currently in the market of active speakers that is worth being discussed on this forum i.e. price no limit, but low price should be a limiter? ;-)

I am aware of Linkwitz 521 with nCore amps, Kii audio three. What else is there? Please exclude active speakers which use passive crossover and have the amp in the box.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Grimm Audio LS1/LS1s, ATC.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
I wondered what is currently in the market of active speakers that is worth being discussed on this forum i.e. price no limit, but low price should be a limiter? ;-)

I am aware of Linkwitz 521 with nCore amps, Kii audio three. What else is there? Please exclude active speakers which use passive crossover and have the amp in the box.

ATC.

Many active options: 19AT, 40A, 50A, 100A, 150A, 200A, 300A. e.g. http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/tower-series/scm50asl/.

They have two levels of amp pack for everything 50 and over. The standard amp pack and the fully discrete "anniversary" amp pack.

Honestly one of the best speakers I have heard.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Meridian make some excellent DSP actives
8000 series , old 6000 series etc
I had old ATCs as well, scm50a , not like the meridians but very good

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

ATC
ADAM
Goldmund
PMC
Meridian
Grimm
Linn
BMW

not exhaustive

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The Linkwitz LX is really good. And the JBL M2 might be the best available at this time. From your OP, it appears your question is limited to digitally active speakers, right?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

mirekti

Feb 3, 2015
Dallas, TX
It's been almost a year since I've started searching for my dream setup. The times are really exciting and I keep having a feeling something great will pop up just next week.
There are more and more active solutions and usage of well designed DSPs, hence this thread.

My current top 3 choices (not all active) would be:

1. Linkwitz 521 and Hypex Pro amps and dsp.
2. Used Devialet and MBL 116F setup (passive, but with SAM it could get a bit corrected).
3. Kii Audio Three

I must admit I've seen JBL M2, but wasn't interested. After reading a bit, they might end up being quite interesting.
The interesting part is they have huge sweet spot which is something I prefer so I can listen to the music with my wife.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies so far. I am looking forward for more.

From your OP, it appears your question is limited to digitally active speakers, right?

Correct.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is that the one JV loved?
That was Avantgarde's trio with bass horns, different animal, can be made active, my favorite. The Zero is their bottom range model but I only like their biggest, though the Zeros are good as a kit for someone who wants a basic set up without the mess of separates in a small room

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

We, audiophiles, regularly dismiss barands that do not bear the audiophile seal-of-approval and yet. Honest audition would convince us some items are worthy of our times and perhaps our investment.
The brand? Bang and Olufsen, that of the "Lifestyle" products. The Beolab 5
beolab-5-2gg6.jpg
however is a good to serious sounding product. at <$20K. It is Full range and correct sounding. Would mop-the-floor with many so-called audiophile speakers costing by their lone selves much more. Its reviews in Audiophile publication has reviewers dumbfounded and quite hesitant: They would love to hate it but find themselves quite attracted and frankly so would many of us but then we would lose a good deal of our audiophile creds wouldn't we? ;) :D...

I would like to hear their last attempt at the SOTA in speaker active speaker design:
The Beolab 90 @ $80K!! , I find it quite ugly however :)
BeoLab-90-Pair.jpg

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think that beolab 90 is much more attractive than a lot of high end-approved speakers. And for anyone who finds the JBL M2s interesting, those are pro audio speakers, and there's a whole world of them out there to explore if you can get past the high end-approved mind set.

Tim

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have heard JBL K2 6000 twice in different set ups, 4520 in another set up (pro-audio), and the Beolab 90. I prefer most other high-end (and low-end) speakers. The K2 6000 was pretty expensive, btw, even a used pair will go for around 25k EUR.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The beolab is a tour de force on paper..I would love to hear and fiddle with them.

I suppose their looks could grow on you if they lit up your sound quality world.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The beolab is a tour de force on paper..I would love to hear and fiddle with them.

I suppose their looks could grow on you if they lit up your sound quality world.

Same hear (here? :D)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing