Artisan Fidelity Garrard 401 Updated

Beatlebum

Oct 6, 2012
Recently took my Artisan Fidelity Garrard 401 back to Chris at AF for some upgrades (idler wheel, still points, bearing and spindle) and we also decided to refinish the plinth in a high gloss Maccassar Ebony and had the chassis repainted in a high gloss black. I also upgraded the tonearm to an Origin Live Conqueror. Chris is fine tuning things this weekend and he says it sounds amazing. I can't wait to get it home!

2F3A3433 (1) copy.jpg 2F3A3511 (1) copy.jpg 2F3A3413 (1) copy.jpg 2F3A3548 (1) copy.jpg

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Tim, Indeed, your Garrard 401 Statement turned out beautifully, here are a few more photographs to share for members who cherish the classic design aesthetics.

2F3A3468 (1) copy.jpg 2F3A3642 (1) copy.jpg 2F3A3489 copy.jpg

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I never get tired of seeing pictures of Artisan Fidelity tables. Their work is definitely stunning but I must comment that their photography is top notch as well.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Recently took my Artisan Fidelity Garrard 401 back to Chris at AF for some upgrades (idler wheel, still points, bearing and spindle) and we also decided to refinish the plinth in a high gloss Maccassar Ebony and had the chassis repainted in a high gloss black. I also upgraded the tonearm to an Origin Live Conqueror. Chris is fine tuning things this weekend and he says it sounds amazing. I can't wait to get it home!

View attachment 26152 View attachment 26153 View attachment 26154 View attachment 26155

It looks beautiful.
How does the OL Conqueror sound. I have an OL Encounter at the moment on my Townshend Rock V and plan to upgrade to the Conqueror before too long.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
The Origin Live tonearms are exceptional performers and in my humble opinion are generally under-appreciated by much of the high end market. Over the years I've owned various versions of their Illustrious, then a Conqueror, and now their top model Enterprise-C. They're very well engineered and executed designs which excel at extracting the most from a record groove in a musically coherent and extremely engaging manner.

Congrats to Tim on the beautiful new table!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The Origin Live tonearms are exceptional performers and in my humble opinion are generally under-appreciated by much of the high end market. Over the years I've owned various versions of their Illustrious, then a Conqueror, and now their top model Enterprise-C. They're very well engineered and executed designs which excel at extracting the most from a record groove in a musically coherent and extremely engaging manner.

Congrats to Tim on the beautiful new table!

Thanks Bill.
Very helpful

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
My pleasure Barry, glad you found my comments helpful. I should have also explained what I feel you achieve as you move up their line. Their tonearms retain a consistent perspective such that you can tell they are from the same designer, but you gain additional refinement in their better designs. Typical gains include more effortless dynamics and extension, with further benefits in musicality and a higher level of continuity to their tonality. Their top model's performance can be quite stunning to first time OL listeners.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
My pleasure Barry, glad you found my comments helpful. I should have also explained what I feel you achieve as you move up their line. Their tonearms retain a consistent perspective such that you can tell they are from the same designer, but you gain additional refinement in their better designs. Typical gains include more effortless dynamics and extension, with further benefits in musicality and a higher level of continuity to their tonality. Their top model's performance can be quite stunning to first time OL listeners.

That's good of you Bill.
I do value musicality so obviously attracted to OL.
I also get that quality with the Entreq cables and boxes so the Conqueror should be an ideal upgrade.

Beatlebum

Oct 6, 2012
Bill and everyone else,

Thanks for the compliments and yes, it is a fine looking and sounding piece.

Barry,

In my short time listening so far the OL Conqueror is an audible improvement over my previous Illustrious Mk. 3c (which is an exceptional performer too!). As Bill said, the Conqueror just gives more of everything that the other OL arms do. More refinement, extended, and a further enhancement in the foundation of the music presentation.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
We should note this day on the calendar, it's not very often when two audiophiles agree on their independent evaluations of a component! :cool: I think that's a testament to the excellence of Origin Live tonearms.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Bill and everyone else,

Thanks for the compliments and yes, it is a fine looking and sounding piece.

Barry,

In my short time listening so far the OL Conqueror is an audible improvement over my previous Illustrious Mk. 3c (which is an exceptional performer too!). As Bill said, the Conqueror just gives more of everything that the other OL arms do. More refinement, extended, and a further enhancement in the foundation of the music presentation.

Thanks Beatlebum.
Your experience Bill's confirms everything I have read and heard about the Conqueror so to my mind a buy with confidence upgrade.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
We should note this day on the calendar, it's not very often when two audiophiles agree on their independent evaluations of a component!

Truer words were never spoken....:b

Agreed wholeheartedly with Bill, the Origin Live tonearms are highly underrated by many as they are superb musical playback instruments and a viable alternative within the realm of precision tonearms.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Tim, Anticipating further listening impressions to share of your updated Garrard 401....

For those not aware, Beatlebum (aka Tim) is also testing our latest (v.2) version Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301/401 model precision idler wheels recently completed for production.

2F3A3723 (1) copy.jpg

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Truer words were never spoken....:b

Agreed wholeheartedly with Bill, the Origin Live tonearms are highly underrated by many as they are superb musical playback instruments and a viable alternative within the realm of precision tonearms.
Christopher - Nice to see your direct participation in this thread! This might be a bit off topic, but would you care to share any details on how you achieve such stunning photography of your beautiful designs? I'm sure that others would also be interested in what type of camera and lenses you use, any special lighting hints, etc. If you feel that it's inappropriate to ask or if you consider this proprietary please accept my humble apologies. TIA!

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Bill, My pleasure, thanks by the way for the kind words. To be honest, nothing proprietary just a modest photography studio setup, the primary kit consists of a Canon 5Dsr full frame, misc. Canon EF lenses (24-70mm / 24-105mm / 35mm / 50mm Macro), Fluorescent lamps, various combinations of Florescent lamp ballast reflectors and diffusers. Typically, RAW is my file type of preference, so I can render complete control of the final image and take advantage of the full frame sensor resolution of the big Canon. As far as hints are concerned, the only real "key" if you will I have personally found to capturing the essence of your subject in a photograph is to try and feel what you are trying to convey using your instincts and emotions as a guide through the minds eye of a camera lens. Any final captured images also seem to benefit when I feel very passionate about the subject at hand. The same principals hold true when I occasionally embark on street photography, various urban landscapes and architectural field trips.

Hope this helps. :b

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
That's very helpful, I must say that your product photography is up there with some of the best I've seen! Looks like you could easily choose to pursue another career in professional photography.

Beatlebum

Oct 6, 2012
So I got my Artisan Fidelity 401 Statement home and setup this past weekend. Thought I'd share a few pics. I have not tried the newest idler wheel yet but will very soon (sorry I was enjoying the music too much to change anything :).

IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1182.JPG

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..beautiful setup! Can't go wrong with a Chris Thornton TT..

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
What a lovely set up - nice to see you a fellow Harbeth devotee! I should be interested to learn more about what you use to power them.

Lovely deck. Truly stunning. And I echo the comments about the photography. First rate.

Beatlebum

Oct 6, 2012
Hey Andrew,

Yes the Super HL5 Plus is a fine speaker! They are a match made in heaven for my David Berning ZH270 upgraded by Kris Kosiba at Lakeview Audio. This is a 70 wpc OTL amplifier with an upgraded volume attenuator. My phonostage is a Herron Audio VTPH-2. The AF 401 Statement turntable sounds as incredible as it looks! Really! The dynamics and drive are startling while the highs have finesse and decay. Voices, cellos and stand-up bass sound so lifelike and you'd swear the performers are right there. Last night I was listening to the latest reissue of the Beach Boys' Surfer Girl lp and the song "In My Room" and it was a spooky fun experience. The layering of the different members vocals, the plucking of the electric guitar along with the bass and the percussion, is so profound and what I envision the audiophile experience is supposed to be about.

IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1180.JPG

Thanks to all for the compliments.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing