Bruce Brown: Mastering Engineer/Audiophile Extraordinaire!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am always embarrassed when visitors come here and ask me about tourist spots I have not been to myself. It is like you take it granted when you live some place. Such I think is the case with our own Bruce Brown. I am always taken back when I see his name pop up on description of an album I am buying. I have to remind myself that I know this highly talented but unassuming person and he lives in our neck of the woods!

So I thought I remedy the situation by visiting his place and doing a write-up. We discussed it at RMAF when I had dinner with Bruce and his lovely wife. Took a while to schedule it but we managed to do that a few weeks ago.

Bruce's studio is downstairs in his home. It is like a secret bunker in a James Bond movie. You would have no idea it is there as the house doesn't give any hints of what sits within. The neighborhood is quite nice and at high elevation (east of Seattle). I found the house immediately remembering Bruce telling us about the artificial turf in front of his home. He sure has the best looking grass!

Walked into the home and we sat at the system Bruce has put together for his wife:

The Maggies nicely coordinate with the red color accents. Stylish and Elegant at good prices!

Now you know you are some place special when you turn around and this beauty is sitting there in the hallway:

We walk down to the secret bunker and first we are greeted with the Equi=tech balanced power providing the juice:

We then enter the back part of the studio where Bruce tests multichannel mixes and capturing of records. My apologies for the wide angle lens pulling him out of proportions :eek:

This is where the action is:

Focal monitors do the job here:

Close up of the gear:

Meitner and Korg A/D (?)

Cavalli Audio Headphone amp:

Isn't great to have so many albums to have your name on, and sound that you produced?

Now we go to the main stage where a pair of Revel Salon 2 speakers are driven by pass labs amplifiers:

The room is highly treated with the back side (opposite of the above) being a large bass absorber. Corner traps are there as is fabric covered walls (was there something behind them Bruce?). The presentation here is focused which is required for the work that Bruce does.

Looking back you can see Captain Kirk in his command chair!

Analog effects module is center stage:

Flanking the right side of the console is the Merging Technologies Horus:

To the left is the audio workstation software (Pyramix):

And what studio would not have master volume control?

You can see all of them in view including half-inch Studer A80 tape deck we listened to first:

We were talking about how to position the speakers and Bruce had an interesting approach. He uses a Qsound encoded track and sees how definite the images are. He plays a Madonna digital capture of an LP which I did not know existed with Qsound encoded (track list at the end). I just about fell of my chair when he played this. There were 3-D images that were pin pointed on the side wall focused in just a few inches. I literally looked at that exact point. Then another hit me on the rear left. Again, it sounded like it came out of a tiny spot. Never heard such precise focus from Qsound or even surround sound.

Don't you just love the monkey toys?

We played many tracks. Sound was sublime and again, focused tight. Bass was tiny bit boomy at times. Despite the large amount of treatment Bruce has, the room is relatively small so bass modes are strong to start. We talked about me coming over with my measurement gear to find the offending peaks and use the Audio Workstation filters to knock them out.

As is typical of Salon 2s, the sound is clean, smooth and silky. We listened and listened. I could sit there for hours! But I had to leave eventually. Before that, Bruce showed me yet another secret bunker. This time, his wine cellar!

Man, life is good!

Of course we chatted fair bit about the industry, about how much trouble you guys can be, etc. What? You didn't think we talk behind your backs? Of course we do. :D

Bruce also gave me a blind test of what is wrong with a mix down of a 3-channel recording to two. Sounded like the voice levels were too low but I was afraid to say so for the fear of being wrong! Wouldn't you know it, that was the answer.

Here is the track list of what we enjoyed in digital and tape:

Duke Ellington - Manetoba Spank
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Madonna - Vogue and Holiday
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Nat King Cole - When I Fall in Love
Jazz Masters - Seven Steps to Heaven
David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name

Overall was a fantastic visit helped in no small part by Bruce's hospitality and large body of knowledge. If you even come to Seattle area, you owe it to yourself to get an invitation from Bruce for a personal tour.

Thank you Bruce!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Awesome! Simply awesome! Now that I'm in Calgary maybe I can visit some of the boys in the PNW one day. It seems that where the big boys play!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Excellent!
Do your remember if IICORMN was tape.
A favorite from the 70's. As I've mentioned before around here and recently on the current Hoffman thread.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What happened to the Alexias?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
i think they were sold.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Thanks for sharing. One could only wish there were more places like that instead of loudness pushers.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I will attest to how well 'What a Wonderful Trio!' is produced. :) The material and performance are great, too. :cool:
I hadn't realized you were using Salon 2's, now, Bruce. I've only had a chance to hear Revel speakers in someone's
rig, once -- sound in that room was very smooth. Thanks to each of you for sharing.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
nice pictures Amir. Bruce's place is first cabin all the way. super classy.

and the performance is always superb. Bruce can easily answer questions that come up in our hobby all the time. he has all the toys.

Johnny, you are also welcome to visit me too if you have time.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Great pictures Amir. Did you use a tripod? You know us older guys have shaky hands.:b

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great pictures Amir. Did you use a tripod? You know us older guys have shaky hands.:b

I took a tripod with me but this old guy was too lazy to even get it out! All images are handheld. It was a dim room by photographic standards and ISO was maxed out. Image stabilization on the lens made it all possible.

BTW I took over 60 pictures. This is a sampling. Will post more later.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Crosby! (Should be a Tape Project release)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It was a pleasure Amir. Wish you could have stayed a bit longer. As you could tell, I'm in a little bit of a transition phase. The first room did have a large mixing console in there and was moved a few months ago. I'm slowly changing it over to my Archive/Restoration room. I have equipment spread over the whole house and even on the floor where you have to step over it! I even have 2 more tape machines in the garage waiting for some love.

Yes, those are Maggie 1.7i speakers. The camera angle is a little too unflattering! I know I'm overweight, but DAMN!! I need to lose a few.. LOL

I have many projects in the pipeline, construction as well as client's projects. Since my retirement, it seems like I'm more busy now than when I was at the hospital. Hopefully they will get done this year.

Again, thank-you for a great afternoon of musical enjoyment and friendship!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Very nice. Thanks for the photos and write-up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing