Symmetrical Crossovers - Why? - Advantage/Disadvantage

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm
I have a pair of Gauder Akustik speakers (ex Isophon), which I'm very happy with. This thread is not about the speakers but the crossovers.

Speakers are equipped with Passive Symmetrical Crossovers with >50dB slope. This type of crossovers is the hallmark of Gauder Akustik.

My questions to you all knowledgeable WBF'ers are as follows (Google has not been my friend in finding this out):

- What are the rationales behind symmetrical crossovers, if any?

- Are there specific demands on the power amplifier driving speakers with symmetrical crossovers with this slope or will they relieve the amp in any way?

- Advantages / Disadvantages (apart from being expensive) with symmetrical crossovers?

/Best
Lars

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Most crossovers are symmetrical between drivers. The crossover can make a big difference in the speaker's polar response and distortion. Without measuring, it's impossible to know why a specific crossover was chosen for that speaker. My experience with digital crossovers between subs and full range speakers tell me that symmetrical crossovers are usually the best way to go. But with multiple subs, that may not be the case. I plan on setting up an asymmetrical crossover sub array next week using Acourate. I believe I can get best results this way. We will see.

I have a pair of Gauder Akustik speakers (ex Isophon), which I'm very happy with. This thread is not about the speakers but the crossovers.

Speakers are equipped with Passive Symmetrical Crossovers with >50dB slope. This type of crossovers is the hallmark of Gauder Akustik.

My questions to you all knowledgeable WBF'ers are as follows (Google has not been my friend in finding this out):

- What are the rationales behind symmetrical crossovers, if any?

- Are there specific demands on the power amplifier driving speakers with symmetrical crossovers with this slope or will they relieve the amp in any way?

- Advantages / Disadvantages (apart from being expensive) with symmetrical crossovers?

/Best
Lars

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Please explain symmetrical vs asymmetrical crossover. :)

Tim

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I think the proper term would be series vs parallel crossover. I might be wrong.
The OP is asking about symmetrical vs non-symmetrical XO slopes. Sometimes it makes sense to cross one driver over with a steeper slope than the counterpart driver.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
....only in the lower registers though, correct?

Tom

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I am sorry I misunderstood. My apologies. Crossover slopes typically are asymmetric to achieve proper phase response. First order designs typically in my experience are more likely to be symmetric.

The OP is asking about symmetrical vs non-symmetrical XO slopes. Sometimes it makes sense to cross one driver over with a steeper slope than the counterpart driver.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm not sure symmetric slope is what he's talking about... Symmetric might mean using the same components on the - leg and the +?

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Dave after reading the OP question, what a concept, I think he is asking about infinite slope crossovers. Maybe the OP will clarify?

I'm not sure symmetric slope is what he's talking about... Symmetric might mean using the same components on the - leg and the +?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave after reading the OP question, what a concept, I think he is asking about infinite slope crossovers. Maybe the OP will clarify?

Yes, I'm not really sure... Magico also claims to use symmetric elliptic crossovers. I'm not sure a passive xo can be infinite slope, but 50 dB can be achieved passively. I think in this symmetric means the layout of the xo parts and not the slope. Slope is determined by driver characteristics for the most part. Gauder uses ceramic drivers so the xo is critical to avoid the nasty regions of the drivers. I have to admit I don't see the attraction to these drivers, in stock form they are not very good sounding... with damping and an overly complicated crossover they can sound ok but I'll take a softer, more well behaved driver anyday.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Dave I know Jeff Joseph touts an infinite slope crossover. Myself I am from the old school single order camp. Less is more concept with excellent well behaved drivers.

Yes, I'm not really sure... Magico also claims to use symmetric elliptic crossovers. I'm not sure a passive xo can be infinite slope, but 50 dB can be achieved passively. I think in this symmetric means the layout of the xo parts and not the slope. Slope is determined by driver characteristics for the most part. Gauder uses ceramic drivers so the xo is critical to avoid the nasty regions of the drivers. I have to admit I don't see the attraction to these drivers, in stock form they are not very good sounding... with damping and an overly complicated crossover they can sound ok but I'll take a softer, more well behaved driver anyday.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I couldn't find anything looking useful through a few pages but probably irrelevant. Crossover design is always a compromise and for any given speaker system the trade among frequency points, slopes, and filter topologies can be tricky.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Crossover design = snake oil, patience, voodoo, good ears and lots of capacitors, inductors and resistors on hand. ;)

Oh and an accurate measurement system.

I couldn't find anything looking useful through a few pages but probably irrelevant. Crossover design is always a compromise and for any given speaker system the trade among frequency points, slopes, and filter topologies can be tricky.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Crossover design = snake oil, patience, voodoo, good ears and lots of capacitors, inductors and resistors on hand. ;)

Oh and an accurate measurement system.

We do have some modern tools that can model xos digitally:

http://www.woofertester.com/index.htm

Infinite slope should mean just that, a straight vertical line or "brick wall" response. AFAIK, for passive xos the slope will be in multiples of 6 dB/oct, not sure it's really possible to achieve a true brick wall response although a very high order elliptic filter would be close.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Dave I have contemplated purchasing LEAP, there are too many online calculators that can get you in the ballpark. As you know the rest is listening and measuring.

I think Joseph has a patent on the infinite slope crossover design.

We do have some modern tools that can model xos digitally:

http://www.woofertester.com/index.htm

Infinite slope should mean just that, a straight vertical line or "brick wall" response. AFAIK, for passive xos the slope will be in multiples of 6 dB/oct, not sure it's really possible to achieve a true brick wall response although a very high order elliptic filter would be close.

LarsS

Nov 11, 2014
Stockholm

DaveC,

correct, same components on both legs. So many components compared to a "normal" passive crossover.

These are my Gauder Akustik speakers, not equipped with ceramic drivers - - > http://www.gauderakustik.com/pdf/Arcona100-Audio1113.pdf

Back from a glorious day skating in Stockholms archipelago!

Ådfjärden.jpg

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing