How Many Watches Do You Own?

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
I love watches and have about twenty, the most expensive[120.00]the cheapest[5.00]i'll never own a rolex unless someone gives me one,but I'm happy finding bargains.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
One. Wear it everyday. It's an inexpensive digital display that I have had almost 10yrs.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I own zero. check the time on my iPhone if needed.

I'm just waiting for the watch that cannot be felt by weight or touch. Otherwise I've always hated wearing one. Funny thing is I love to watch Youtube videos about cleaning Rolex's and such.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I used to have a bunch of them...many with great sentimental value (gifts from girlfriends with messages of eternal love engraved on the undercover, gold ones too, with tiny diamonds). ...All have been stolen from me. ...By a guy who manages a storage facilities.

Now I got two or three plastic ones, but I never wear them...the batteries are too hard to replaced. I use my phone, it tells the time with more accuracy, I use it to set my VCR and TV clocks. And it's rechargeable, with a USB cable. :b

* How come they don't make rechargeable watches?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I used to have a bunch of them...many with great sentimental value (gifts from girlfriends with messages of eternal love engraved on the undercover, gold ones too, with tiny diamonds). ...All have been stolen from me. ...By a guy who manages a storage facilities.

Now I got two or three plastic ones, but I never wear them...the batteries are too hard to replaced. I use my phone, it tells the time with more accuracy, I use it to set my VCR and TV clocks. And it's rechargeable, with a USB cable. :b

* How come they don't make rechargeable watches?
They do, my Citizen Eco Drive recharges itself by exposure to light. It has a capacitor inside and is charged through a solar cell, no batteries at all.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/collections/citizen-eco-drive/

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
They do, my Citizen Eco Drive recharges itself by exposure to light. It has a capacitor inside and is charged through a solar cell, no batteries at all.

Used to have one of those. The Drive mechanism went bad. Cost more to fix, than a new watch. No thank you. Got the digi shortly as a gift. Interestingly enough it keeps better time than the Eco. Plus I'm not a large dia guy and the digi has all face segments very legible. Another plus don't need to pull out the phone, just for s time check. A simple turn of the wrist, there it is. Weekday name and day,mo # too. 24hhr time

Bob
I've had two batt replacements and have had them done at the jewelers no extra charge.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Are they ocean-proof too, because last time I went barracuda fishing I had a nice one (cell battery), and it got wet and went caput. :b
Just kidding; those are nice watches John.

Oh and I love pocket watches, very fond memories of my grand father.:b

I still have one of those, engraved with the name of my grand-grand Pop...she's not telling the time no more...for the last hundred years or so.

Bob
I've had two batt replacements and have had them done at the jewelers no extra charge.

It's ok Ron, my watches cost less than the batteries that go inside. :b
I don't wear a watch anymore, I don't need to know the time anymore. Can you imagine? ...What that means? ...Total freedom of your time. :cool:

Last edited:

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
I recently got one made of wood,yes watches need batteries but they are still fun to own.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Watches are about as passé as an item can get. Accurate time used to be only for the master class now it's a commodity. One can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship involved but sadly now it means nothing except as a salute to their accomplishment.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have three in my simple collection now:

Oris F1 Williams
IWC Mark XV Spitfire
Rolex OP39

I'm looking to add an IWC Portugieser 7-day auto next year to complete my collection for now :)

Reactions: gleeds

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Watches are about as passé as an item can get. Accurate time used to be only for the master class now it's a commodity. One can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship involved but sadly now it means nothing except as a salute to their accomplishment.

True. However a watch can survive an EMP bomb like nothing happened if it's all mechanical. And a LOT of us really appreciate their craft, so the market shows.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I own one watch.
It's a Breitling Chronomat. 1987-1988 Reference 81950 with grey dial with black sub dials.
Came with a leather band-replaced now with a Breitling branded rubber strap.
Had a complete revision in 2016 because it had bad time-keeping (gained 5min in a week!!!!). Now it gain's aprox. 1min a month.
Worn 24h since.
Would like to own a Rolex Deapsea (with D-Blue dial) because of its engineering !

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Like turntables, Too many......50 plus.

• Wow
Reactions: christoph

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I think there is a point of inflection in watch collecting, where you stop owning the watches and they start to own you. Suggest that is somewhere around having more than one per day of the week.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Well, my father was a watchmaker. So I grew up observing most all facets of the trade. He had a full shop at home and also managed a jewelry counter in a major department store of the day. He also could create custom replacement parts that could no longer be ordered. In the early days of his career he met my mom while working around jewelry stores in Detroit city. And ah Motown, what a great time to be a kid.

I truly loved quietly watching him disassemble, clean, oil, and rebuild all sorts of timepieces as I grew up. There was a zen to it and he loved the complexity, beautiful jeweled movement, pulsating and spinning. My dad was a very quiet, resourceful, gentle man like his father who was a furniture carpenter, both enjoyed the craft, and enjoyed the quiet time. So no doubt, my DNA lead me to be an industrial designer. I also love the quiet crafting time and creating things.

So I’ve been around mechanical timepieces and owned quite a few. Regretfully watching the collapse of the industry as cheap electric watches became popular. It’s the evolution of things. Fortunately my family made a very good livelihood back when a watch was more than a fashion statement, but a necessity.

Though I own many, many excellent but modest timepieces, alas, they collect dust as I wear an Apple Watch daily because of its appreciable Dick Tracy aspects. Welcome to the modern world.

“Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?”

But I have to put it out there… WHEN will we get flying cars! :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing