AudioQuest Niagara 7000 Low-Z Power Noise-Dissipation System

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
"...there's a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) for the two groups of four outlets that use isolation transformers, because their outputs are symmetrical (balanced), which produces a voltage potential on Neutral relative to Ground."

I have Balanced Power. I'll accept Martin Glasband's descriptions, which emphasize ground improvments.

The rest of the description, no opinion.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Does that mean that the Niagara 7000 has an internal balanced isolation power transformer?

Probably underneath the board with the chokes.

Here's a blurry assembly line picture, lots of transformers on the bench:

AudioQuest-Niagra-7000-Assembly-600x300.jpg

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
A good 2400 VA transformer is rather large, it would be hard to hide under a PC board.

An Equitech 2Q (20amp) is 3.5" tall and weighs around 65 pounds. (no board hiding the transformer)

The Niagra 7000 is 5.25" tall and weighs a claimed 81 pounds.

It claims "dielectric biased isolation transformers". Patent here - https://www.google.com/patents/US20150048916

So... What do you suppose is under the choke board that weighs around 60 pounds?

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
... It claims "dielectric biased isolation transformers". Patent here - https://www.google.com/patents/US20150048916 ...

That patent application appears to describe a variation on the prior art of placing an electrostatic shield between the windings of a transformer. The difference is that it uses multiple shields with biasing voltage(s) applied to them in order to create an electrostatic field between the shields. The conductors of the transformer windings are in this field, and the claims are that the field alters the effects of the dielectric (insulation) of the conductors. For example:

"Primary and secondary windings (...) include a conductor through which the AC signal travels, and the conductor may be insulated by an insulation layer (...) composed of dielectric material. (...) the dielectric material may be biased by an electrostatic field formed to reduce the amount of noise or distortion the AC signal may experience while traveling through the primary and secondary windings (...). In this regard, with the reduced noise and distortion, the AC signal can travel through the primary and secondary windings (...) more efficiently."

And:

"In some aspects, primary and secondary windings (...) define a signal path to transform the input electrical signal into the output electrical signal along the signal path. In this respect, the signal path may travel from primary winding (...) to secondary winding (...). The signal path may provide signal transmission of sensitive electrical signals directed to audio, video and/or data transmission systems. The signal path may include undesirable electrical properties that impact the integrity of the signal transmission(...). (...) dielectric biasing may be applied to (or impressed on) insulated conductive layers (...) using first and second voltages to form an electrostatic field such that the undesirable electrical properties present in the signal path can be removed and allow components within transformer (...) to reach the stable electrical state sooner."

Hopefully the body of the application was better proofread than the "Field" statement:
"The present disclosure relates to electrical power systems, and more particularly a dielectric biasing circuit for the electro-magnetic used in alternating current devices."

In summary, it's the same sort of science that says applying biasing voltage to the insulation in cables will improve their performance.

Google's copy doesn't appear to show the full images. The USPTO copy does:
http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20150048916&IDKey=11B3F51819CA&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fappft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO1%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526d%3DPG01%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsrchnum.html%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526s1%3D%25252220150048916%252522.PGNR.%2526OS%3DDN%2F20150048916%2526RS%3DDN%2F20150048916

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
MF in his review said that he replaced his 2 sets of Triton V2+Typhon with just 1 Niagara 7000 yet their performance were on par!

N7000 users please share your experience here with us.

Many thanks!

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
MF in his review said that he replaced his 2 sets of Triton V2+Typhon with just 1 Niagara 7000 yet their performance were on par!

N7000 users please share your experience here with us.

Many thanks!

Yes I read that article as well. I found it interesting how one could take all the equipment normally plugged into what I assume is multiple dedicated circuits and in turn plug all that stuff into one power conditioner which is fed by X 1 AC Receptacle and not lose something in terms of SQ or power delivery to the amps.

I would imagine that if the volume was cranked up those big Dartzeel amps they could really start putting a hurtin on the power draw from the wall but then again, maybe he doesn't listen very loudly and the current draw remains under 20A all the time.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Any further experience with Audioquest Niagara series of power conditiones ?

Michael Fremer in his latest video seemed to be quite happy with them, a year after the review had been published.

Saxguy

Jul 4, 2014
I have a quick question. I have a 7000 and am waiting for my Pass Labs X350.8 to arrive. I was told that Pass Labs amplifiers sound better when plugged into the wall (with the stock cord) rather than through a power conditioner. The stereophile article mentioned that unless all components are plugged into the 7000 it can potentially degrade the sound of the system. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I have a tube preamp and will most likely be running a Lumin S1 as a digital front end. I'm wondering if it would be better to just use Cards Clear Beyond cables into the wall with those components as it has built in filtering.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have a quick question. I have a 7000 and am waiting for my Pass Labs X350.8 to arrive. I was told that Pass Labs amplifiers sound better when plugged into the wall (with the stock cord) rather than through a power conditioner. The stereophile article mentioned that unless all components are plugged into the 7000 it can potentially degrade the sound of the system. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I have a tube preamp and will most likely be running a Lumin S1 as a digital front end. I'm wondering if it would be better to just use Cards Clear Beyond cables into the wall with those components as it has built in filtering.

In my experience, it's better to plug your power amps into the wall. I recently tried my amps into the new, hyped up Shunyata stuff, and it killed all dynamics. ( I do think the Shunyata power cords are fabulous, and use them on the amps.) All of your other gear can go into the power conditioner.

Yet, there are a lot of variables and you will have to try it for yourself...

Saxguy

Jul 4, 2014
Well, I decided to put the 7000 up for sale on audiogon and try the Cardas Clear Beyond cables on my preamp and source. Hopefully it will sound good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing