Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Audioquest HDMI cables

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I know that. And my intent was to use a still test image. The problem is that I think HDCP will be asserted by the graphics card regardless. If so, without a cheater card you can't capture it. Do you have confirmation of any graphics card solution which only asserts HDCP on protected content that requires it?

I will get our HDMI analyzer and test my system here and see what it does.
    Not that I know of w/o a modified frame buffer card.

An Open Letter from Audio Quest

They go to say they are looking for a copy. Would anyone here with a D/L of the video oblige them by posting it?
    Last edited by Jinjuku; 01-31-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Mark Waldrep says he has a copy.

Banned
    I have a copy also.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I have a copy also.
    Good, among the AQ faithful that will confirm that both you and Dr. Waldrep conspired to create the same video to mutually confirm each other and make them look bad.

Another report on the same AQ HDMI fiasco.

http://www.audioholics.com/editorial...tter-editorial

I am glad to see Bill Low personally and finally 'fessing up after a year of knowing about the rigged results without taking any action or also allowing one of his own employees to participate in the presentation of those flawed results. But, he cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube, any more than he can claim to be a unknowing victim of one of his dealers' ploys.

It will likely all blow over in short order for the most part. But, I continue to have serious ethical concerns about AQ, now more than ever. It would take a lot to get me to even consider any of their stuff, but that goes back to way before the current flap. Sure, they provide well-made cables, but that is not hard to do for a fraction of their prices.

For decades, they have had a very successful business with analog cables, relying on claims, hints and suggestions of better sound in the vague, loosey goosey world of subjective audiophile opinion. But, they have been having a much harder time adapting to digital cables, assuming they were dealing with the same type of consumer. They have seemed to rely on the same old analog marketing approach. Business as usual. But, there is a lot more blowback from digital audiophiles, and rightly so. I now sense a great deal more defensiveness in their frequent, glossy ads for digital cables these days. Though, they still make many unsubstantiated claims and leave much to the imaginings of audiophiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcaraldo215 View Post
    Another report on the same AQ HDMI fiasco.

http://www.audioholics.com/editorial...tter-editorial

I am glad to see Bill Low personally and finally 'fessing up after a year of knowing about the rigged results without taking any action or also allowing one of his own employees to participate in the presentation of those flawed results. But, he cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube, any more than he can claim to be a unknowing victim of one of his dealers' ploys.

It will likely all blow over in short order for the most part. But, I continue to have serious ethical concerns about AQ, now more than ever. It would take a lot to get me to even consider any of their stuff, but that goes back to way before the current flap. Sure, they provide well-made cables, but that is not hard to do for a fraction of their prices.

For decades, they have had a very successful business with analog cables, relying on claims, hints and suggestions of better sound in the vague, loosey goosey world of subjective audiophile opinion. But, they have been having a much harder time adapting to digital cables, assuming they were dealing with the same type of consumer. They have seemed to rely on the same old analog marketing approach. Business as usual. But, there is a lot more blowback from digital audiophiles, and rightly so. I now sense a great deal more defensiveness in their frequent, glossy ads for digital cables these days. Though, they still make many unsubstantiated claims and leave much to the imaginings of audiophiles.
    But not terribly different from any other cable manufacturer?
    Keith

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Until there is more known about the subject claims can only be subjective in nature. Some cable companies have made attempts to measure some things that are fairly obvious, like Shunyata's current-response testing or whatever, and the better conductivity of OCC manufactured wire is easily measurable but we can't correlate listening to measurements, and this is true in many areas of audio. But... and I hate to say it... Kieth is right that AQ isn't alone in giving nebulous descriptions about the performance of their products, it is what it is because our knowledge of the subject is incomplete. You can measure LCR, dielectric dissipation factor and other things but it won't tell you how the cable sounds. Just like looking at frequency response of a speaker gives an incomplete picture of how it'll sound, and even if you include off-axis/polars it doesn't tell the entire story...
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

What is driving me nuts is Micheal Lavorgna and John Atkins. I want to take the high road. I want to have the moral high ground but I'm just left with either they both are delusional or outright fraudsters of the worst possible kind with what I've seen them post in that Open Letter thread.

You can't say that you easily hear difference in say Ethernet cabling and then you won't sit down for a blind evaluation.

Some people will damn the morals to make a $ I guess.

Zero respect for either of those guys of Stereophile/AudioStream.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Until there is more known about the subject claims can only be subjective in nature. Some cable companies have made attempts to measure some things that are fairly obvious, like Shunyata's current-response testing or whatever, and the better conductivity of OCC manufactured wire is easily measurable but we can't correlate listening to measurements, and this is true in many areas of audio. But... and I hate to say it... Kieth is right that AQ isn't alone in giving nebulous descriptions about the performance of their products, it is what it is because our knowledge of the subject is incomplete. You can measure LCR, dielectric dissipation factor and other things but it won't tell you how the cable sounds. Just like looking at frequency response of a speaker gives an incomplete picture of how it'll sound, and even if you include off-axis/polars it doesn't tell the entire story...
    Looking at response measures may give an incomplete picture, but it often broadly matches how it will sound. You also see significant variations in response that match with the idea two different speakers will be audibly very different. Harman goes further and says with the right measurements they can determine relative ranking with reliability.

Looking at the response, and distortion of cables? Pretty close to zero difference in measurements over audio frequencies. Shunyata's current-response testing lines up almost exactly with expected differences in LCR terms when you are sending extremely high currents through a cable like in their test. Nothing magic or mysterious with that.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast