installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my dealer should arrive shortly. I've just spent the last hour disassembling my gear so he can get to the outlets unobstructed.

http://www.furutech.com/2015/11/18/12066/

I have 10 of the previous model GTX-D (R) with Oyaide WPC-Z outlet covers. since I'm doing this upgrade I'm also upgrading the outlet covers to the Furutech GTX outlet frames and 104 carbon fibre covers.

I wonder how much tearing everything apart will impact the settling of the Tripoint Troy Signature and Entreq Silver Tellus and Poseidon?

if I like these i'll do my 3 other outlets (one is a 4 gang set-up for my tape decks).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congrats Mike. Look like pretty fancy outlets.

One question if you know or can ask your dealer:

What is that shroud on the right around the terminals. I have not seen that before. Is it to keep the wires at 90 degrees to the outlet looking from the back? Or just a layer of insulation?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I plan on adding these outlets when my new 2 channel room is added to the house.the old one is being converted into a bedroom, bath and master closet. The outlet covers? I am not sure what they add to the system. They are very pricey too.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
A lot! Around $350 each? Maybe you can get me a deal Amir with all your many contacts. I think the covers are over a $100 do but I will have to check on that!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Mike. Look like pretty fancy outlets.

One question if you know or can ask your dealer:

What is that shroud on the right around the terminals. I have not seen that before. Is it to keep the wires at 90 degrees to the outlet looking from the back? Or just a layer of insulation?

btw; my dealer is our mutual local friend, Joe from Kosmic. and Joe says that those shrouds are intended to prevent short circuits inside the mount.....particularly when using spades.

how these outlets are different is there is added tourmaline crystals to the carbon fiber. it's said to improve resonance control and thermodynamic heat. tourmaline, when heated, converts energy to negative ions which causes a potential which then dissipates static. hair dryers use tourmaline for the same reason.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I shouldn't complain because my lighting control outlets retail for close to that :). But what is the cover that costs $100?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
btw; my dealer is our mutual local friend, Joe from Kosmic. and Joe says that those shrouds are intended to prevent short circuits inside the mount.....particularly when using spades.
Then that makes sense and is a good idea especially with heavy gauge wires we tend to use for our audio gear. Heaven knows I have had these terminals come loose as I shoved them into too small of a box :).

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I plan on adding these outlets when my new 2 channel room is added to the house.the old one is being converted into a bedroom, bath and master closet. The outlet covers? I am not sure what they add to the system. They are very pricey too.

resonance control, resonance control, resonance control.

your power cables and outlets 'sing' along with the music. that resonance is noise. better outlet covers, less noise. too bad it works that way, but it does.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
M

Are your outlet boxes plastic or metal?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
M

Are your outlet boxes plastic or metal?

the UL rated 'remodel' 'deep' box is plastic. these are mounted into the 3/4" ply cabinet soffit-baseboard, not attached to a stud. the baseboard is attached to my 6" thick concrete floor.

no one makes an 'audiophile' outlet box......yet. might the plastic or metal box be more resonant? I'd say metal.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I just installed two yesterday that were already cooked before I put them in. Replaced the older GTX Rhodium. First few notes indicated less noise and better dynamics. These run around $250.00 not $350.00.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I just looked them up. $250 they are. I will get 2 as I have 2 dedicated lines in my room now and will in the new room. Will be without a room for a couple of months starting in the spring. Bummer but necessary. All outlet boxes I see these days in new construction are all the blue plastic variety.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Pin retention: measured as the force required to pull the plug from the outlet.

This a key consideration with "hospital grade" certification/requirements. That then, is good enough for me, having used varieties of special outlets (+ spec grades) for over 3 decades. For this silly hobby, 3 in my modded PLC, 1 stereo wall, 1 HT wall, = 5.

Hosp.Grades are generally special order items, ~$14 to $20(*). My cost overall ~$100. However, since pin retention is prone to fatigue, some, if not all, may require replacing over time. I've had outlets w/appreciably fatigued within 2 years, others much longer. Either way, at ~$20 a plug, the ongoing cost is sustainable.

Which leads me to my question ... what's the pin retention characteristics with these outlets? Has anyone tested over time?

(*) spec grade outlets offer higher pin retention qualities than standard grade, readily available at home hardware outlets for ~$7.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They say they have a spring but don't specify anything else.

Mike, please give us some feedback after you install them with respect to insertion and pull out tension/force.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Pin retention: measured as the force required to pull the plug from the outlet.

This a key consideration with "hospital grade" certification/requirements. That then, is good enough for me, having used varieties of special outlets (+ spec grades) for over 3 decades. For this silly hobby, 3 in my modded PLC, 1 stereo wall, 1 HT wall, = 5.

Hosp.Grades are generally special order items, ~$14 to $20(*). My cost overall ~$100. However, since pin retention is prone to fatigue, some, if not all, may require replacing over time. I've had outlets w/appreciably fatigued within 2 years, others much longer. Either way, at ~$20 a plug, the ongoing cost is sustainable.

Which leads me to my question ... what's the pin retention characteristics with these outlets? Has anyone tested over time?

(*) spec grade outlets offer higher pin retention qualities than standard grade, readily available at home hardware outlets for ~$7.

The GTX outlets do not have nearly the same grip as a hospital grade receptacle, but the difference in sound is night and day. The increased grip of hospital grade is not really a good thing as it'll strip the plating off of male plugs. The GTX is designed specifically NOT to damage plated male AC plugs. The GTX also uses copper contacts, which are too soft to hold it's shape, so a stainless steel spring is used to compensate. They could have made this spring as stiff as they wanted, so I assume the retention force is very intentionally calibrated.

The cover is ridiculous, stainless steel with a coating of carbon fiber all around it, and the wall plate is very thick powdercoated billet aluminum. While expensive they hugely overbuilt and are definitely worthwhile.

Also, the Furutech AC receptacle promotion is still on, here are some prices, not including the new NCF which are $250:

GTX-D(R) - $183.75
GTX-D(G) - $140.00
Cover - $83.25
Wall Plate - $120.00

If you get them from me, shipping and burn-in are free. Burn-in on the rhodium plated receptacles will drive you nuts, it takes a long time and has a huge effect on the sound.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I purchased the first generation GTX r version. You notice the difference immediately. I paid around $150.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
resonance control, resonance control, resonance control.

your power cables and outlets 'sing' along with the music. that resonance is noise. better outlet covers, less noise. too bad it works that way, but it does.

If that's the case, are you going replace all the male plugs on your power cables with FI-50M NCF (R)s?

http://www.furutech.com/2015/11/18/12059/

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing