Music Library Backup Question?

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
Copying my iTunes library to an external for backup purposes using Mac. iTunes music library backup is the only intended purpose for the external drive. Formatted the drive to ExFAT via the 'erase' tab option in 'Disk Utility'. Skipped partitioning.

Question: Is there any reason or need to partition the drive as 1 partition? iTunes folder is currently copying to the external and I can't see any reason for making the single partition? Okay to skip the partition step?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I didn't get it. When you formatted the drive to ExFAT, you set up only 1 partition? And you want to know if you should've done more partitions, is that it?

With a Mac, you once you format the entire drive, it sets up the drive automatically with a single partition, so there's no extra step if all you wanted was that single partition...

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
I didn't get it. When you formatted the drive to ExFAT, you set up only 1 partition? And you want to know if you should've done more partitions, is that it?

Not exactly. I know I want only 1 partition, but wondering what using the 'Erase' option, as opposed to the 'Partition' option, did or does differently.

With a Mac, you once you format the entire drive, it sets up the drive automatically with a single partition, so there's no extra step if all you wanted was that single partition...

That's kind of what I thought, but started to wonder if there is any difference between the two options (ie, 'Erase' or 'Partition' option tabs) when fomatting a new drive. I did notice that if choosing the 'Partition' option and selecting '1 Partition' in 'Disk Utility' gives the additional 'Options' button which opens a window to select a partition scheme, whereas, using the 'Erase' option does not give this option. Now wondering if my single partition using the 'Erase' option chose the correct partition scheme and whether this is important.

So, I'm wondering whether

a) the 'Erase' option set a 1 partition (you say yes) and which partition scheme was manually selected, if any?

b) I should do both steps, erase (new drive was NTFS with preloaded software) and then partition? Or just partition, which also erases? Seems the 'Erase' option is kind of pointless, with the main external drive highlighted, and is what is causing my confusion.

c) both steps are necessary for some reason? That is, 'Erase' first and then 'Partition'? Or just either 'Erase' or "Partition' and it doesn't matter which of the two?

I'm probably making this way more complicated than it needs to be, but after spending hours re-ripping want to make sure everything is absolutely correct.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
aronjt,

It's fairly simple: you use "Erase" when you want to delete the contents of an existing partition. Just erase. So, if your drive had 1 partition with NTFS, "Erase" would've just erased the contents of that particular partition, while keeping it NTFS.
When you FORMAT the entire drive, the Disk Utility app will create a new partition for you. That's when you selected ExFAT for your new partition. BTW, each partition can have its own format (NTFS, ExFAT, HFS, etc.).
So, if all you want is a single partition, you're all set. Now, if you wanted to split that external drive in multiple partitions ("partition schemes"), then you would have to go back and use the Partition function, pick the format for each partition, etc. If you change the partition scheme of a drive, it'll automatically "Erase" all the contents.

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
Sure, either way will probably work, but just to clarify the difference I'm referring to: The 'Erase' tab gives the option of changing the format or leaving as is. This will erase, reformat (if changing format) and partition (single partition only), I assume.

The 'Partition' tab does the same but allows for creating multiple partitions (or just 1) and has an additional 'Options' button after selecting the number of partitions in the drop down menu.

So, the 'Erase' method doesn't have an 'Options' button and doesn't allow for selecting between the following:

GUID Partition Table
Apple Partition Map
Master Boot Record

And being that 'Erase' didn't give the above 3 options, I don't know which it chose by default, if any.

See attached:

1) 'Erase'
2) 'Partition'
3) 'Options' window

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 3.06.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 3.07.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 3.44.33 PM.png

To avoid confusion, the 'Erase' option shouldn't offer a choice between new formats, it should just erase and leave the current format and partition alone, and if the user wants to change the format and create a partition, even if only 1 partition, then it should only be able to be done under the 'Partition' tab. This would at least eliminate my confusion.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

Last edited:

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
So, as you see, the 'Erase' and 'Partition' methods appear to do the same thing when only 1 partition is desired, but also appear to be different in some ways, and just trying to decide which method is best? Or, it doesn't matter and both accomplish the same thing equally well for simple backup purposes?

As I said, after spending hours re-ripping want to make sure everything is absolutely correct.:)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ah you're using an older MacOS, my Disk Utility is different... Anyway, I remember this version... You're right, you can accomplish the same thing with either option, if all you want is a single partition. Don't sweat it :)

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, Lion. Didn't think that the newer Disk Utility would be different. At least now you see and understand what I was referring to.

For the second backup copy I'll do the 'Partition' method and 'GUID Partition Table' option rather than the 'Erase' method, just in case I find in the future that the two methods are different in some way.

Thanks again!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing