Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horch House PROJECT R2R consumer tape machine

Horch House PROJECT R2R consumer tape machine

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/01...umer-tape.html
    WORLD EXCLUSIVE: HORCH HOUSE INITIATE “PROJECT R2R”

Could this be the most surprising development in hi-fi since Neil Young’s Pono Player? Except with one small difference: we’re talking analogue. Very analogue.

“you just can’t top analogue”

As audiophiles and music lovers around the world continue to debate whether hi-res digital actually makes any real difference, one thing remains clear: the analogue resurgence keeps going from strength to strength. Vinyl sales have been growing faster than any other format as the mass market rediscovers what audiophiles never forgot: you just can’t top analogue sound quality.

Audiophiles, meanwhile, are going one better, knowing (as they do) that when it comes to analogue, tape sounds even better than vinyl. Period. No debate. Obviously we’re not talking about the cassette tapes of the eighties Walkman era, nor of those old 8-track bricks from the days of flares and swirly carpets!

The real audio grail is, of course, reel-to-reel tape.

“there is no company in the world that manufactures reel-to-reel decks…”

In 2013, The Absolute Sound shocked readers by concluding that a reel-to-reel deck absolutely crushed the highest-rated turntable-based system ever reviewed by the magazine. At this point in time, there is no company in the world that manufactures reel-to-reel decks, whether consumer or studio machines. Meanwhile, the resale market of vintage machines is booming. Why? Quite simply because the sound quality is as good as it gets.

…or is there??

Okay, enough suspense. Here’s the deal: we’re doing it. The team here at Horch House is very excited indeed to announce the initiation of “PROJECT R2R”: the development of a brand new consumer reel-to-reel machine!

As with all Horch House projects, we will be working very closely with some of the world’s foremost experts in order to create the most accomplished product possible.

Bookmark this page to follow the development of PROJECT R2R over the coming months – we’ll be posting regular updates.

Project Leader: Volker Lange
    Mechanical Development: Philipp Puxbaum
    Head of Production: Stefan Fahnenstich
    Product Design: Manfred Mainzer
    Electronic Control Development: Pali Banas

www.analogarts.net

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    I am going to hunt these guys down at the Munich show and get an update on their tape deck project.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Respect .
    And made in Germany which wont hurt , very cool project , look forward to read about the modern technologies that are applied.

here is a another thread about the subject of a modern day deck

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...ce-tapemachine

Addicted to Best! Fiddle Faddle's Avatar
    I would give a few of my kidneys away to have one of these new recorders and a library of Horch tapes. Just imagine - every listening session would be an incredible event with the same anticipation and excitement as a live performance! I'd save the sessions for Saturday nights just to maintain that special, exclusive flavour!

If anyone in the Sydney area were to ever get one of these I would love to come and hear it playing a classical Horch release (and I promise I won't touch anything).

[Industry Expert] Philip O Hanlon's Avatar
    San Juan Capistrano, CA (between LA & San Diego)
    Update from Munich, I spoke with Volker Lang at length about his new R2R; the Euro 5,000 is a tentative price for the deck. The price does NOT include the optional stand. He has not figured out distribution etc. Though he is talking about taking early bird orders in Q3 2016.

He did mention that his successful automotive welding operation is able to bank roll this project as it is extremely profitable. He showed us many different images of the industrial design. They look fantastic.
    Philip O'Hanlon
    On A Higher Note
    (distributor of excellence)
    window to the true sound through imported synergistic high end audio components: N. American Importer/Distributor - Artesania Audio, Gryphon, formerly Eclipse TD, Luxman, Vivid Audio, Merging Technologies

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    At Munich High-End I spoke at length with Volker Lange of Lutz Precision, Horch House is a division of Lutz Precision. Volker is the founder of Horch House.

The new Horch House reel-to-reel machine is being designed by Manfred Meinzer. From the mid-1960s on Manfred was responsible for the physical design and appearance of all Studer and ReVox tape decks.

Horch House expects to sell the reproducer-only version of the tape deck for €4,000, and the recorder/reproducer version for €5,000. There is a €1,000 upgrade for a studio model which replaces the RCA connectors with XLR connectors,

I asked Volker how he could possibly expect to design and manufacture a high-quality open reel tape deck for only €4,000. I asked him what is his business model.

Volker said: "Our business model is the ink-jet printer business model. We want to sell the tape deck at this [low] price to get people to buy our tapes."

He said a working machine will be demonstrated at the Denver show in October 2016.

This is clearly a real product which is going to see the light of day.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/05...tape-deck.html
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    I asked Volker how he could possibly expect to design and manufacture a high-quality open reel tape deck for only €4,000. I asked him what is his business model.

Volker said: "Our business model is the ink-jet printer business model. We want to sell the tape deck at this [low] price to get people to buy our tapes."
    Great information there Ron. I am sure that some people will simply buy the machine for use with existing collections or for tapes they acquire via other means. So I hope that when they refer to the ink-jet model, they are still going to make a modest profit or at worse break even. Personally I would never be able to afford (on an ongoing basis) new tape releases, so I would not fit into the model as such. However the playback RCA machine is definitely within my grasp. It would not surprise me if there were many people in my situation. The last open reel deck I bought was around 1992 - it was the base model Tascam - around $2,200 AUD back then I seem to recall. If you were to extrapolate that price 25 years down the track it would require I feel a similar budget today to acquire the new Revox (though the Tascam could obviously record which is what I used it for).

And as Michael Fremer said, the entire deck is priced around the same as a high mid-range to mid high-end MC cartridge. Or to put it another way, many vinyl listeners wouldn't think much of spending around $4-$5K on a cartridge yet it would not surprise me if this particular upcoming deck would blow most if not all vinyl setups away or at worst equal them when the vinyl setups were playing those "2 x 45 RPM" or even some "2 x 33 1/3 RPM" style full length audiophile releases.

Still, there is no doubt. For me this is a resurgence of the golden age of audio. For people in my age group who grew up in the late 60s and 70s when vinyl was at it's peak and open reel was always there but no longer ubiquitous and even dominant like it was in the 50s to very early 60s, it is almost like a time machine, but we benefit from the enormous strides made in electronics over the last 5 decades. And for people buying both the machine and the new tape releases, I am not the slightest bit ashamed to declare my envy and respect. I just hope they share their stories here on the forum!

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    (...) Volker said: "Our business model is the ink-jet printer business model. We want to sell the tape deck at this [low] price to get people to buy our tapes." (...)
    I hope he was just using the qualitative model - nowadays in some cases a set of ink jet cartridges costs about half the price of the the printer! Can you imagine a tape costing half of the price of the tape machine?

Sorry, but I do not consider euro 4000 a low price - unless I am shown that this new deck is really a top performer.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Soundlab A1 Px's while waiting for the XLF successor, EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, Stealth Dream speaker , Crystal Dreamline ICs, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Sorry, but I do not consider euro 4000 a low price - unless I am shown that this new deck is really a top performer.
    Really? I think it is almost a give-away. Infact I'm struggling to even imagine a machine such as this being produced for any profit at all for this price in 2017. And in my book, 4000 euro does not really buy much these days in terms of really high quality hifi. It certainly gets you extremely capable upper-echelon individual components that can produce very rewarding results (whereby the outright results generally reflect minor sins of omission compared exotic high end stuff) but certainly not the esoteric stuff.

You'd be buying maybe ten tapes to equal the price of the playback machine here. If you bought a turntable / tonearm / cartridge / phono-amp combo for ten times the price of a typical modern audiophile vinyl release you'd get a piece of absolute mass-market junk!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast