Challenge Classics

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i want to acquire lots more of these 'big file' titles, but waiting for the 16tb Samsung 870 QVO SATAIII 2.5" 16tb versions to be available. 18 months ago when i got my Wadax it was predicted those 16tb versions would debut in early 23'. here we are mid 23' and none yet.

i'm using three 8tb drives now (with 20tb of files installed) and have another 8tb drive not installed. hoping to upgrade all 4 to 16tb versions to give me 66tb and then i can go to town with new files. i'll keep checking for any updates.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
i want to acquire lots more of these 'big file' titles, but waiting for the 16tb Samsung 870 QVO SATAIII 2.5" 16tb versions to be available. 18 months ago when i got my Wadax it was predicted those 16tb versions would debut in early 23'. here we are mid 23' and none yet.

A topic devoted to this general area of development might be provocative. As such, it is not worth developing upon in relation to Challenge Classics.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
A topic devoted to this general area of development might be provocative. As such, it is not worth developing upon in relation to Challenge Classics.
i can do that. for thread focus are you thinking;

(1) dxd and 4xdsd files verses steaming Quboz high rez?

(2) acquiring large dxd and 4xdsd files and the benefit?

or (3) when will the 16tb SATA drives be available? (specifically these Samsung drives which are reliable and have read and write times compatible with our expectations.....and endorsed by appropriate server manufacturers). and i realize that there are other drive types, such as PCIe, which are not waiting for this.

i know some prefer files in general, to streaming, not just dxd and 4xdsd. and i agree with that mostly. but that has been discussed plenty already. my agenda is very specifically the top of the heap native digital files. how great can digital get when all out efforts are being made?

and, also i think it's important to support these all out best possible sounding creative efforts as best we can if we want it to continue. that is not anything we can assume.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
i can do that. for thread focus are you thinking;

(1) dxd and 4xdsd files verses steaming Quboz high rez?

(2) acquiring large dxd and 4xdsd files and the benefit?

or (3) when will the 16tb SATA drives be available? (specifically these Samsung drives which are reliable and have read and write times compatible with our expectations.....and endorsed by appropriate server manufacturers). and i realize that there are other drive types, such as PCIe, which are not waiting for this.

i know some prefer files in general, to streaming, not just dxd and 4xdsd. and i agree with that mostly. but that has been discussed plenty already. my agenda is very specifically the top of the heap native digital files. how great can digital get when all out efforts are being made?

and, also i think it's important to support these all out best possible sounding creative efforts as best we can if we want it to continue. that is not anything we can assume.
I own and play very regularly the two Bach passions that are mentioned in the review in Positive Feedback. I prefer the dxd versions to the dsd 256 versions; the dxd versions sound really great / beautiful. Listen for example to some of the aria’s of the Matthew passion and you know what I am talking about.

I am trying for some time to maximize my efforts to get the digital reply (clearly) better sounding than I have ever heard it before through a combination of a. ultimate Tripoint Audio grounding, that is a1. Miguel’s latest top notch grounding unit(s) and a2. Miguel’s latest top notch grounding cables, b. top notch - and of course separate - platforms on which the Wadax reference dac, it’s two PSU’s and the Wadax reference server are going to be placed and c. grounding these various platforms. I am not (fully) there yet but the results so far are very promising indeed.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I own and play very regularly the two Bach passions that are mentioned in the review in Positive Feedback. I prefer the dxd versions to the dsd 256 versions; the dxd versions sound really great / beautiful. Listen for example to some of the aria’s of the Matthew passion and you know what I am talking about.

Matthew passion is my favourite concert when done right. It only plays during Easter Day not easy to see but it is magical when done right, and boring when not. Every instrument, chorus, every aria. Would like to hear a good recording of this. Are you saying on the passion, you can sit there through the performance at your place and enjoy it thoroughly

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have you heard the Klemperer and the Karl Richter? How do they compare to those two

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Matthew passion is my favourite concert when done right. It only plays during Easter Day not easy to see but it is magical when done right, and boring when not. Every instrument, every aria. Would like to hear a good recording of this. Are you saying on the passion, you can sit there through the performance at your place and enjoy it thoroughly
I really love the way Kuijken’s La Perite Bande is performing the Matthew Passion and imho it is beautifully recorded by Bert. Mostly I choose various aria’s to listen to but on a regular basis I listen to the complete recording. The last classical piece I heard live in the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam was actually this passion, albeit the performers were different (inter alia RIAS choir). Magnificent piece of music.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Have you heard the Klemperer and the Karl Richer? How do they compare to those two
I do not have the Klemperer and Richter versions available in digital. I might have them on vinyl but I am not sure (I have not played vinyl for quite a while as you know). So I do not know, Ked, how these three versions compare to each other.

rando

Sep 22, 2019

In kind with your interests pursuing how great digital can get. I feel there might also be worth in addressing circumstances surrounding postponed and reconsidered SSD that... I was partially responsible for a memory product being discretely removed from shelves and webstores this week.

Framework addressing latent improvements in digital playback is exactly the means of defining other elements, related to performance and data security, being suggested.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing