New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Lakers' loss to the Nuggets could have happened to the best of teams. Celtics lost a lot of games being up big in 3 quarters and let the opponent crawl back and defeat them. It's hard to design scientific plays against a marauding team that is running on momentum. Like Ty Lawson rampaging for 17 points. I bet he wouldn't do it again on back to back games. LOL. The Lakers have a good system. And Bynum is not even playing yet...

I agree, I think it would really look bad for Riley to come down and coach again, kicking out his protege Spoelstra. Can lightning strike twice? Depends on how bad the Heat owner wants to win. What I feel is that the Heat needs a real good mid-season trade for 2 big men. Like a couple of Odom or Gasol (Pau, not Mark) type of players. That would make them solid. I'm sure Riley is thinking of that...

what truly fascinated me about the Celtics-Heat game yesterday to watch arguably the 2 best teams in the east, was all of the empty seats in the arena. I thought I was imagining it until the camera panned through the crowd.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
what truly fascinated me about the Celtics-Heat game yesterday to watch arguably the 2 best teams in the east, was all of the empty seats in the arena. I thought I was imagining it until the camera panned through the crowd.

That's amazing really. Can't imagine why. But I imagine that come Miami's visit to Cleveland in a few weeks, there will not be an empty seat in the Cleveland arena. They will want to see their Cavaliers beat up James. LOL

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How bout those Jazz? What a road trip!

Utah has been well coached by Sloan the past few years. Adding Al Jefferson was a good move, imo. They need consistency from guys like Millsap and Kiri, and perhaps trade Bell for somebody better. LOL. I'm all for strengthen the Western teams like Denver, Utah, SA and Dallas. The Lakers need a good workout in the playoffs to tire them. LOL

Steve Williams

Utah has been well coached by Sloan the past few years. Adding Al Jefferson was a good move, imo. They need consistency from guys like Millsap and Kiri, and perhaps trade Bell for somebody better. LOL. I'm all for strengthen the Western teams like Denver, Utah, SA and Dallas. The Lakers need a good workout in the playoffs to tire them. LOL

Jadis

I must say that your depth of knowledge and interest in the game is exemplary coming from half way around the world. You would be fun to sit beside at an NBA game. I was amazed at the past three road trip Utah victories. Remember Jerry Sloan is not only the MOST tenured coach in NBA history but so also is the most tenured coach in all four major sports and ownership has already offered to extend his contract

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
True

But I am thinking that maybe, just maybe Utah needs a shot in the arm... Sublimating Jerry Sloan further up in the organization but bring anew energetic and knowledgeable coach, a Doc River-clone... What was the last time they won a championship .. Even when they had the superb Sotckton-Malone duo .. A trip to the final in a series which I still think they should have won , else.. nice showings but no ring ... I am not sure Utah will win any ring with the current line-up ... Yes Deron Williams is good, Yes Al Jefferson is good, Kirilienko will on a given night give fits to the best Power forwards or centers in the game but get ts to be ultimately neutralized in subsequent games, yes Rajah Bell isa very good defender, the best Kobe-defender this side of Shane Battier ... We know where that will lead .. mid-late exit in the playoffs ...

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis

I must say that your depth of knowledge and interest in the game is exemplary coming from half way around the world. You would be fun to sit beside at an NBA game. I was amazed at the past three road trip Utah victories. Remember Jerry Sloan is not only the MOST tenured coach in NBA history but so also is the most tenured coach in all four major sports and ownership has already offered to extend his contract

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I love the game, and I saw my first NBA games telecast on delayed basis ( about 1 week after it happened) on local TV (in the late 60s) showing the Celtics games with Sam Jones (who almost always sinks the basket each time he touched the ball as far as I can remember), Bill Russell, John Havlicek, etc. That's how I became a Celtics fan. LOL I followed them through the mid 70s championship runs, and the 80s wars with your favorite Lakers of Magic and Kareem (those were one of the most intense games I've seen, the other being the succeeding Pistons-Lakers finals with Isaiah hobbling with a sprained ankle and scoring something like 40+points, in a finals at that). Continuing to present days, I cherished the fact that after decades of title drought, the Celts still managed to win one in 2008 with the Big 3, and am happy to see the revival of the Celtics-Lakers rivalry, hence I look forward to a 'rubber match' next June. Things are just starting to get interesting. :)

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And what about Kevin Love's 31 points/31 rebounds last night? Prodigious effort. The is the kind of 'banger' I have not seen in a while since Kurt Rambis 'invented' that role (Well, Barkley came in between, LOL). And the difference is, Kevin Love can also shoot! My kind of power forward.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
what time do you see the games and are they broadcast live. Do you get it by satellite or ??

Right now, I get it live via cable. They are shown in the mornings, Manila time, as it happens at night of late afternoons there in the States. There is a dedicated cable channel for NBA games called BTV that broadcasts a couple of games daily, and weekly, ESPN features the Game of the Week each Wednesdays and BTV broadcasts most of the playoff games live too. That's a welcome relief because in the 80s and 90s I would need to hook up a special UHF antenna that would receive broadcasts from the U.S. airbase here in Clark Field, Pampanga, which is 1 hour away by car. The FEN (Far East Network) shows the best in all U.S. programming and fits them all within the 24 hour period. Among them are the Live NBA playoff games, NFL weekly and Super Bowl, Major League Baseball and a host of other TV sitcoms and CNN news.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
In today's game, that kind of performance is even more remarkable. 15 and 15 will get you all star status and a maximum or close to maximum contract. Just look at our own Warriors' David Lee. If Love keeps it up, come free agent time, oh my! Looking into my Carnac The Magnificent crystal ball, he'll return to the city where he played college ball.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Right now, I get it live via cable. They are shown in the mornings, Manila time, as it happens at night of late afternoons there in the States. There is a dedicated cable channel for NBA games called BTV that broadcasts a couple of games daily, and weekly, ESPN features the Game of the Week each Wednesdays and BTV broadcasts most of the playoff games live too. That's a welcome relief because in the 80s and 90s I would need to hook up a special UHF antenna that would receive broadcasts from the U.S. airbase here in Clark Field, Pampanga, which is 1 hour away by car. The FEN (Far East Network) shows the best in all U.S. programming and fits them all within the 24 hour period. Among them are the Live NBA playoff games, NFL weekly and Super Bowl, Major League Baseball and a host of other TV sitcoms and CNN news.

Your post made me recall the finals game, I can't recall who was playing right now, but I was into the game and then at the end of the first quarter or beginning of the second, the network stopped broadcasting the game so that they could show OJ being driven in that Bronco on the freeway with about a million squad cars in pursuit. The network never did return to the basketball game. Boy was I pissed.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Your post made me recall the finals game, I can't recall who was playing right now, but I was into the game and then at the end of the first quarter or beginning of the second, the network stopped broadcasting the game so that they could show OJ being driven in that Bronco on the freeway with about a million squad cars in pursuit. The network never did return to the basketball game. Boy was I pissed.

"We interupt this program to bring you a late breaking news", then the program is permanently interupted. Yeah, I'd be pissed too at that. The car chase was around June 1994, and that was the Houston-NY Knicks Finals where the Rockets won in 7 games.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As the season gets along, San Antonio is the surprise leader of the pack; well, judging from their performance the past 2 years, this opening salvo is quite positive to Spurs fans, despite not having any 'major' acquisitions. The Spurs are hot but the Heat is cold. LOL

Steve Williams

The Spurs are a big surprise so far.I watched them play the Wolves yesterday and just when it seemed the Wolves were going to win, the Spurs beat them in the last 2 minutes. The Hornets have now lost a few, Oklahoma is improving and Utah is also for real. The Heat, well, that is a different story

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Spurs are a big surprise so far.I watched them play the Wolves yesterday and just when it seemed the Wolves were going to win, the Spurs beat them in the last 2 minutes.

The mark of a champion. L.A. does that lots of times, the most memorable to me is the Portland-Lakers conference finals wherein the Blazers of Scottie, Rasheed and Sabonis were up by like 10 in the final few minutes but lost to a poised counter-attack rally of the Lakers of Shaq and Kobe. The mark of true champions.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just saw the LA Clippers lost a heartbreaker to the Grizzlies. Big question in my mind - the Clippers play in The Staples Center, downtown LA where it is home to the LA Lakers. On a game like this, where do the fans of the Clippers come from? The same fans of the LA Lakers? Or did they follow the Clippers from San Diego when they were still the San Diego Clippers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing