New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No doubt the Celtics and Lakers have two great young coaches. I like them both. Just have to wonder how Luke will do with Coach LeBron next year.

Coach LeBron with personal hand-picked Assistant Coach Rondo. :D Rondo doesn't like running plays drawn by Coach Carlisle that went to the infamous in court shouting matched. I can just imagine Coach LeBron drawing up play 123, which is to let assistant coach Rondo do whatever he wants. Play 1 is of course for CL to do what he wants. :D Boy, am I glad he didn't have 2 houses and business interests in Boston. :D

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Honestly I wasn't really that thrilled when Doc was hired by Ainge from Orlando. I was looking at the record of Orlando. And he inherited a topsy turvy lineup that had young Paul Pierce and probably a mini motley crew. Then Ainge added KG and Allen, and picked up Posey, Cassell, House, etc for bench help. Frankly I told myself they won't win the title in that first year. But they did. He supposedly outcoached Phil Jackson and even used a never heard of player in Leon Powe in the Finals to the surprise of Jackson, as Powe gave them a couple of big performances then. And Doc brought the Celtics to at another Finals and a couple of Eastern playoff runs. I can't described what kind of a coach he was but he did put the team together, with the 'ubuntu' battlecry. And he had Thibs to take care of his defense. After failing to win another title over the next few years with the C's and the Clippers, that is when criticisms of him being overrated came in. The most famous of which was from his own former player Big Baby, who called him 'lucky'.

Well, I take Big Baby's comments with a grain of salt....especially following his arrests for drug distribution and felony assault. I think those two incidents destroyed any credibility Big Baby may have had left. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well, I take Big Baby's comments with a grain of salt....especially following his arrests for drug distribution and felony assault. I think those two incidents destroyed any credibility Big Baby may have had left. :)

Agree. Plus his punching a friend inside a car early on as a Celtic.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He was a "could have been great" Phil. Very athletic wing. I remember him from his time with the Suns in the 90s.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He was a "could have been great" Phil. Very athletic wing. I remember him from his time with the Suns in the 90s.

Interesting, Jack. I think Keith the Suns fan should know him well. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And if Cedric said NO? Now that would have been funny and guess what? If Cedric said no, you know what number LeBron would have been wearing? 23

As a so-called great, I would think LeBron would have worn his 'own' number, not that of Russell or Jordan. Hmmm... how bout 111? Then they could easily retire that, wherever he goes. :D

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I get the feeling that some of you guys don't like LeBron very much. ; - )

I have to admit I turned against him when he left Cleveland for the Heat - very poorly handled. That was eight years ago and I can't hold a grudge forever.

You have to admit it will be a lot more interesting to watch the Lakers this year, love LeBron or hate LeBron. Both sides will be watching him, including me. But, when they play the Clippers, I'll root against him.

He is a great player and he has done a lot of good work in the community. Can't take those two things away from him.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

I have to admit I turned against him when he left Cleveland for the Heat - very poorly handled. That was eight years ago and I can't hold a grudge forever.

You have to admit it will be a lot more interesting to watch the Lakers this year, love LeBron or hate LeBron. Both sides will be watching him, including me. But, when they play the Clippers, I'll root against him.

He is a great player and he has done a lot of good work in the community. Can't take those two things away from him.

Truth is few watch the regular season and why they always quote ratings for the playoffs. Personally, I don't like Lebron as a player or a spokesperson, whether it be for the NBA, his team or politics.

His is a "great" player and the rules enable him to shine more than he otherwise would, just like so many others.

Yes he is doing good things for the community. The real model for adding back to the community and not taking away from LeBron, is Magic. He literally empowers poor neighborhoods and uses his money and clout like few others could or would. The interesting thing about Magic is that he is using Jack Kemp's empowerment zone model and doesn't realize it.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Yes, Jack Kemp and Magic were both former athletes who did great work after their sports careers.

What do you know, people from opposite political perspectives can both do good things.

We forget that too often these days.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I 'liked' him better when the C's were beating him and Cleveland during his first 8 or so years there specially in the latter years during the conference playoffs. But unlike Isiah Thomas of the Pistons who stayed on and vanquished the C's with his original team, the guy bolted to join a champion and and a prized free agent to Miami and promised unlimited rings in front of a packed home arena. And with the began the 'dislike'. :) There is a list of further events, like getting away with 'league rules' and I was actually surprised at fan comments in social media when his name of action is mentioned - a ton of dislikes and I thought I was one of the few. :D When Miami's juice was sucked out in a title loss to the Spurs, LeBron brought his talents out again, this time to a purported homecoming (if one can call it that) to bring the Cavs a title. And so he did. But since I don't like him, I agree with some and put an * in it. :) And when the juice of the Cavs team was sucked out again, he decided to move his talents to LaLa Land. No doubt he is a talented guy, he may be an 'original' for a 'great' to be moving his talents everywhere like the Ringling Brothers. I'm just sticking to basketball and his antics in the league.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I just read that former Laker and current Cavalier, Jordan Clarkson, will be playing for the Philippines in the upcoming Asian Games. His mother is from the Philippines and he holds dual citizenship there and in the USA.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just read that former Laker and current Cavalier, Jordan Clarkson, will be playing for the Philippines in the upcoming Asian Games. His mother is from the Philippines and he holds dual citizenship there and in the USA.

There has been some news about him joining the national team of the Philippines and certainly his scoring power will be a big big plus if he becomes eligible for the AG. I haven't been too interested in this side of basketball as the 'national team' has been mired in politics and twice had been suspended by the FIBA. The latest controversy was the suspension of this team, named Gilas and sponsored by a local business company due to a terrible brawl with the Australian team last month. Andre Blatche, an ex-Net, was a member of that Philippine team and figured in the brawl. I believe a new 'set' of players is going to play for the national team.

https://www.philstar.com/sports/2018/08/10/1841308/sbp-moving-heaven-and-earth-get-jordan-clarkson

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Apparently the Clippers fired Bruce Bowen as their TV color commentator. He made some negative comments about Kawhi Leonard a few months ago so the speculation is that was the reason - presuming the Clippers attempt to sign Kawhi next year in free agency.

It was Bowen's first year as a color commentator so with that in mind he wasn't too bad. Not my favorite though. He had no previous connection with the Clippers so I was surprised when they hired him rather than a former Clipper player.

No word on a replacement yet.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I was at the gym today doing the treadmill and listened to Bill Simmons, The Ringer Podcast, interviewing Steph Curry.

Sometimes Simmons is tough to take but he did a good job with Curry. The Draymond Green stories were the best.

I had to get over my bad feelings towards the Warriors but I am at the point of respect for them now - whether I like them or not. ; - )

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was at the gym today doing the treadmill and listened to Bill Simmons, The Ringer Podcast, interviewing Steph Curry.

Sometimes Simmons is tough to take but he did a good job with Curry. The Draymond Green stories were the best.

I had to get over my bad feelings towards the Warriors but I am at the point of respect for them now - whether I like them or not. ; - )

How do you say "dynasty" and they seem to be an even better team than last year with all of the new acquisitions in the off season

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
If Demarcus Cousins come back from his achilles injury and is anywhere close for his former self.....tough to stop.

I don't think too many teams will be roughing up Steph if they have to contend with Draymond and Cousins.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing