Best DIY speaker cable

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I am with you I think it has something to do with the quality of the copper under the silver plating. Mike where did you find the 3004-II for sale?

It's the silver plating... in some applications it's fine, other times it can give you that splashy sound, which is emphasized/ringing leading edges. Copper quality will affect how much warmth (distortion) is added, UPOCC adds much less warmth vs typical copper and also has measurably better conductivity, from 1-3% depending... this doesn't sound like much but the results when used in an audio cable are pronounced. WE copper sounds different mainly because of the insulation type they used so the WE wire has it's own kind of tone. Duelund did this with silver, their silver wire is actually warm and laid-back sounding because of the silk/mineral oil dielectric.

Bliz, UPOCC silver does not have the same issues with edgy/bright vs conventionally manufactured silver wire, it's FAR different sounding... far better. It's still a bit light as far as harmonic texture, tone, image density... this is why I use the silver/gold alloy instead of just UPOCC silver. Wireworld and Siltech both try to compensate by using what's ridiculously heavy gauges of wire in their IC cables... 17g... I still use a substantial amount of silver/gold alloy and imo this results in a better sounding cables vs WW or Siltech. Unfortunately, it's very expensive but I think you'll find my silver/gold alloy wire is the best wire for audio use available.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave why is 1 meter the longest IC you offer? Just curious.

It's not, I can make them whatever length is required. I should add more length options though...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It's the silver plating... in some applications it's fine, other times it can give you that splashy sound, which is emphasized/ringing leading edges. Copper quality will affect how much warmth (distortion) is added, UPOCC adds much less warmth vs typical copper and also has measurably better conductivity, from 1-3% depending... this doesn't sound like much but the results when used in an audio cable are pronounced. WE copper sounds different mainly because of the insulation type they used so the WE wire has it's own kind of tone. Duelund did this with silver, their silver wire is actually warm and laid-back sounding because of the silk/mineral oil dielectric.

Bliz, UPOCC silver does not have the same issues with edgy/bright vs conventionally manufactured silver wire, it's FAR different sounding... far better. It's still a bit light as far as harmonic texture, tone, image density... this is why I use the silver/gold alloy instead of just UPOCC silver. Wireworld and Siltech both try to compensate by using what's ridiculously heavy gauges of wire in their IC cables... 17g... I still use a substantial amount of silver/gold alloy and imo this results in a better sounding cables vs WW or Siltech. Unfortunately, it's very expensive but I think you'll find my silver/gold alloy wire is the best wire for audio use available.

Great info. I'll be contacting you about using your silver/gold blend for the internal wiring in my active speakers. I can just imagine Hypex Ncore power with 1' of pure silver/gold cable between amp and driver! Doesn't get much purer than that!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Great. Let us know how it sounds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing