Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Katz on DSP and Hi-Res

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Last edited by dallasjustice; 12-11-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Addicted to Best!
    I watched it live and my buddy Scott even asked some of my questions. Bob seems to be quite the character. His impressions on the subject are a lot like mine I must say, as far as DSD is concerned. I will stick with PCM for now. Maybe when there's thousands of Octo DSD I will jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Whip View Post
    I watched it live and my buddy Scott even asked some of my questions. Bob seems to be quite the character. His impressions on the subject are a lot like mine I must say, as far as DSD is concerned. I will stick with PCM for now. Maybe when there's thousands of Octo DSD I will jump in.
    "The World has moved on past the ladder DACs." I love it! He hates NOS ladder DACs.

I used to own a TotalDac. He heckled me for it on another forum. At the time, I was pissed off at him for ripping my TotalDac. That was several years ago. Since that time, I've learned why NOS ladder DACs are so hated by folks like Katz. I now totally agree with his perspective. I think Bob Katz is awesome. I have personally learned much just reading his posts on the Acourate forum.
    Last edited by dallasjustice; 12-11-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Addicted to Best!
    Which is why I asked about the Schiit which is an up sampling ladder DAC as I knew he was surprised at how good a ladder DAC can sound. I know mine (Schiit multibit) sounds fantastic, deep bass, lively you are there sound but not bright in the least, excellent depth. All for not a ton of $ by audiophile standards.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    "The World has moved on past the ladder DACs." I love it! He hates NOS ladder DACs.

I used to own a TotalDac. He heckled me for it on another forum. At the time, I was pissed off at him for ripping my TotalDac. That was several years ago. Since that time, I've learned why NOS ladder DACs are so hated by folks like Katz. I now totally agree with his perspective. I think Bob Katz is awesome. I have personally learned much just reading his posts on the Acourate forum.
    We're close by...one day I need to get to Dallas or you to Austin. Out of curiosity, what did you move onto?
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    We're close by...one day I need to get to Dallas or you to Austin. Out of curiosity, what did you move onto?
    Are you Ralph's buddy? I may have you confused with someone else.

I'd love to have you over. I use a pro DAC now. I use a Lynx Hilo. Since I started using digital crossovers and DSP, I had to abandon the totalDAC.

Michael.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Whip View Post
    Which is why I asked about the Schiit which is an up sampling ladder DAC as I knew he was surprised at how good a ladder DAC can sound. I know mine (Schiit multibit) sounds fantastic, deep bass, lively you are there sound but not bright in the least, excellent depth. All for not a ton of $ by audiophile standards.
    It looks interesting. I checked with Schiit and it won't work in my setup. The max output is too low.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

So for you Michael it is not THE Schiit
    Disclosure; I am an audio dealer carrying Dartzeel, Mola Mola, Merging NADAC, The Gryphon, Parasound(+Halo), Oppo, YG Acoustic, Kii Speakers, Evolution Acoustic, Eclipse TD Speakers, Endeavor Audio, Kef, Vivid, JL Audio,Monitor Audio, RPG Room Acoustic Treatments, Cinematech, Kimber, MIT, Analysis Plus, Kubala Sosna, Elrod Cables, Oyaide, HRS, Artesania Racks, Wave Kinetics, Acoustic Revive, Richard Gray, Sound Application and Jeff Hedback Acoustical Design Service and much more fine audio gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott W View Post
    So for you Michael it is not THE Schiit
    In your avatar, you look like you are taking a Schiit.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Banned
    Thanks for the link Michael. It was an enjoyable watch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast