Reference TT suggestions for those who can't afford SOTA!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love reading the various reference quality turntable threads, but I don't contribute much of anything there as it's out of my league. They sure are nice though and must sound absolutely out of this world, and I hope that one day I can actually listen to one of them. That would be a wonderful visual and aural treat!

Many of us however can't afford to lay out $40,000-$100,000+ for tables such as this, so I was wondering what the membership would consider reference quality TT's below $40,000. It's a different level of reference ($ wise) to be sure, but surely some great tables can be found and enjoyed as a last investment in a "record player". ;).

For me, one of those would be the Oracle Delphi Mk VI 2nd Generation. I'm not up on the price of a fully decked out unit, but I'm guessing $20K+ anyway. I think this TT would fare very well against the big boys, but recognize it won't squeeze the last of the last out of it.

What say you?

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I find it remarkable how much better the 2K to 12K turntables/rigs have progressed in terms of presenting a less colored characteristic sound, over the last decade ... in terms of design, materials, and sound quality, much has improved. So many good choices today for well under the price of a car or second mortgage, I find that many of the price no object tables I've auditioned lately (many with questionable engineering practices) have a difficult time justifying performance to extreme price.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Oracle Delphi ......
They are beautiful sexy machines, one of my all time favorites.

Go for it.

Might want to avoid a used model where someone tried to upgrade the suspension themselves. I ran into one of those and almost bit, but then remembered reading an article about how tricky (near impossible) that upgrade was to do by one's self.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
The Oracle (1970's pre Matrix); was considered the Canadian equivalent LP12 ... with similar upgrade paths.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
They are beautiful sexy machines, one of my all time favorites.

Go for it.

Might want to avoid a used model where someone tried to upgrade the suspension themselves. I ran into one of those and almost bit, but then remembered reading an article about how tricky (near impossible) that upgrade was to do by one's self.

They are indeed tricky to set up and if I were to get one I'd have my dealer do it for me. This TT is on my wishlist........

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
:( I was about to recommend another Canadian turntable, TTWeights ... but they've stopped all production as of dec.18.

Amazing Oracle has lasted so long ...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Kuzma xl dc will do you :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How about a fully decked out Roksan Xerxes 20plus?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
That's too bad he is out of the biz. He made the best perimeter ring weights.

I use a TTW clamp, excellent workmanship.

BTW, anyone using a Jelco tonearm, looking for best bang for the buck improvements, should consider the TTW mods on final sale now.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
:( I was about to recommend another Canadian turntable, TTWeights ... but they've stopped all production as of dec.18.

That's too bad he is out of the biz. He made the best perimeter ring weights.

I use a TTW clamp, excellent workmanship.

BTW, anyone using a Jelco tonearm, looking for best bang for the buck improvements, should consider the TTW mods on final sale now.

I always got the impression that this was mostly a sideline for him. Maybe he couldn't turn enough inventory to maintain it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I'm shopping for a new table/arm for next year. Looking at Basis and SME with Graham Phanton. Just need to spend some time listening. Might upgrade phonostage. It all comes down to finances.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

I think Oracle has gone though several owners through the decades.

I went to the TTWeights website, beautiful tables, and many more models than I had known about.

http://www.ttweights.com/home.html

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Looking at Basis and SME with Graham Phanton.

Those are great choices. You cannot go wrong with them. Perhaps add a comparably priced VPI to that list and you will be surveying a wide variety of design choices.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
New or used.?

There is always a Technic SP-10 MK2 or better MK3 floating around. Byitself it is very good , In a all-out plinth it becomes a SOTA-level TT that can butt heads with the best.. Call it a platform on which you can grow from modest TT to match (and/or surpass) no-hold-barred TTs... I have seen them circa $1200 ... Don't know in what shape they were ..

Then you add a serious arm such a the Wheaton Triplanar for $2500 or so and you are looking at a superlative set-up..

Advice coulld well be too biased because that is what I did :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
New or used.?

There is always a Technic SP-10 MK2 or better MK3 floating around. Byitself it is very good , In a all-out plinth it becomes a SOTA-level TT that can butt heads with the best.. Call it a platform on which you can grow from modest TT to match (and/or surpass) no-hold-barred TTs... I have seen them circa $1200 ... Don't know in what shape they were ..

Then you add a serious arm such a the Wheaton Triplanar for $2500 or so and you are looking at a superlative set-up..

Advice coulld well be too biased because that is what I did :b

What cartridge(s) are you using ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing