For the coming holidays - Carol's Egg Nog Recipe

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sharing a recipe that scales nicely. This is my tried / tweaked recipe - but of course it is to my taste. :)

1 fresh egg (large)
1 oz heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
1 oz bourbon/brandy/spiced rum - or other choice of alcohol
1 small stick cinnamon
1 tbs sugar or honey
grated nutmeg to top.

Simple instructions
Beat the cream until thickened then beat in the egg
Heat the milk to a boil with the cinnamon stick.
Dissolve the honey or sugar in it
Pour the hot milk into the egg & cream mixture in a thin stream and stir all the while - you don't want scrambled eggs.
Add your choice of alcohol
Leave to stand and cool - it will thicken

More involved instructions requiring another bowl but I believe tastes better
Separate the egg.
Beat the yolk into the cream after you've beat the cream until thickened

Beat the white separately until it forms soft peaks and fold it into the mixture before letting it stand and cool

Options
For a more eggy, richer or more alcoholically flavorful recipe - use 2 eggs, 2 oz of heavy cream and 2 oz of alcohol (in any combination)

Less sugary - use half or leave out the sweetener altogether. 1 cup of whole milk contains 13g of sugar and is quite sweet enough for some of us.

This recipe scales. i.e. you can double or triple it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Carol for posting this. I have only tried store bought eggnog and it was not to my liking. Is the homemade one superior to those?

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks Carol for posting this. I have only tried store bought eggnog and it was not to my liking. Is the homemade one superior to those?

Oh definitely. My first experience with eggnog was home-made. The store bought all have some form of gum or starch to thicken it and are often cloyingly sweet. You don't want to hang on to this for too long. Make it, drink it. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing