Cerious Graphene Extreme ICs..

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Does anyone have experience with these cables? The concept sounds intriguing but then a bit voodooish as well. Thanks in advance..

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Well graphene is certainly a good conductor

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I don't have experience with Bob Grost's current cables but I did use his previous versions for many years (as well as his speakers). He's a bit of a mad genius that thinks outside the box and offers forward thinking products at realistic prices. I would be shocked if you weren't blown away.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..a pr of his graphene extreme XLRs are due here today. I'm having an IC shoot out next Tuesday with my buddy that possesses golden ears and also happens to be a musician and a registered acoustics engineer. I rely on him to help me confirm what I think I'm hearing...should be fun..

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..got em this afternoon. Right out of the box I can tell these little guys are something special. I won't jump to any conclusions but rather will wait for a bit more analytical approach, but they will definitely be a contender. Kinda makes one question the whole crazy expensive cable market. Stay tuned..

Reactions: HORTON

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I had a set of Bob Grost's Unity Audio PARMs and they were very good. Agreed that he is a serious designer.

Lee

I had a set as well. They were awesome. Bob picked up my set, drove them back to Michigan and updated them. My friends at UPS destroyed them on the return journey home. Bob subsequently built me what I nick-named Super PARMs. It was a completely unique design. I lived with them for a couple of years and they were wonderful. On a subsequent visit Bob suggested building out a set of powered subwoofers. The conversation went a step further and the next thing I know Bob built the first set of Cerious Ceramic Reference speakers. If you poke around on Bob's outdated Cerious Technologies website you can see a photo of them. Supposedly he built other sets for customers. If thats true there can't be many sets out there.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
I am a big believer in Bob's cables, I have nano-reference interconnects and nano signature power cords all the way through my system and I have a set of graphene extreme speaker cables on the way. Bob made me a believer in high end power cords finally, I really think his stuff is special and excited for my new speaker cables!

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..ok it's been a couple of months and hundreds of hours so pretty safe to say the GE XLRs are broken in. I won't even attempt to enlighten with reviewer speak but I will say that these little guys have a permanent home here. I switched back to the Acoustic Zen Silver Ref...no contest. I also swapped out with a $5K pr of OHNO OCC(?) ICs...which will go unnamed, I have my reasons...and it was a virtual toss up. Ok bold statement time...I'd bet a SS check that the Cerious Graphene Extremes would hold their own against ANY IC regardless of price. Do NOT let the realistic price fool you these are world class cables guys. Oh and by the way I am not a shill for Cerious cables. I just took the leap of faith and have benefitted greatly...actually it wasn't much of a leap given that Bob Grost offers a 30 day money back deal. To quote Forrest Gump.."and that's all I have to say about that"..

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
es347 glad you think so my Graphene extreme speaker cables turned out to be fantastic, big upgrade over my previous PAD cables. I now have 2 pairs of Graphene IC's coming to replace my nano-references, very excited!

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I chnaged my system config and have a whole loom of Cerious power cables, several speaker cables, XLR and RCA I'm selling (if anyone's interested- pm me). These are his previous - right before his latest cables, but are probably similar in many respects. I still own his ceramic bodied speakers - which were amazing but couldn't be exported since they are ballistic ceramic and bomb proof . They are now my home theater speakers but are still pretty amazing.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
es347 glad you think so my Graphene extreme speaker cables turned out to be fantastic, big upgrade over my previous PAD cables. I now have 2 pairs of Graphene IC's coming to replace my nano-references, very excited!

Might you elucidate a little further regarding your GE speaker cables Jond?

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Might you elucidate a little further regarding your GE speaker cables Jond?

Harlequin apologies I just noticed your post. So to my ears the Graphenes vs my previous PAD cables give a blacker background a bit more vivid instrumental color, a bit more extended in the bass as well. Musical flow also seems slightly improved and generally my system engages me more. I won't pretend to have golden ears but they sound great to me and are a very good value.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
But the name 'Graphene' adds to the confusion, because graphene has nothing to do with the function of speaker cables. It's just bling.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..just bling? It in conjunction with the long grain Cu form the conductor. Bling?...not hardly..

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Why because Graphene only works in extremely thin layers. (Say the size of a human hair)(smaller than 0.003 inch diameter). When you try to add more layers it stops working.

graphene

While graphene is a very, very fast 'pipe' for carrying current, it is a very tiny one, i.e. the carriers can fly though the material, but there's not a lot of room for them as it is a single atomic layer that is literally thinner than one nanometer (3-4 angstroms to be precise). If one tries to make a bigger 'pipe' for carrying current by stacking or growing multiple layers of graphene, the amazing properties of the material degrade quickly with each additional added layer. In fact, at around 10+ layers graphene begins to perform much like its allotropic parent, graphite, that is composed of many layers of graphene.

from the CEO of Graphene Frontiers

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
Why because Graphene only works in extremely thin layers. (Say the size of a human hair)(smaller than 0.003 inch diameter). When you try to add more layers it stops working.

graphene

While graphene is a very, very fast 'pipe' for carrying current, it is a very tiny one, i.e. the carriers can fly though the material, but there's not a lot of room for them as it is a single atomic layer that is literally thinner than one nanometer (3-4 angstroms to be precise). If one tries to make a bigger 'pipe' for carrying current by stacking or growing multiple layers of graphene, the amazing properties of the material degrade quickly with each additional added layer. In fact, at around 10+ layers graphene begins to perform much like its allotropic parent, graphite, that is composed of many layers of graphene.

from the CEO of Graphene Frontiers

So you know the design/manufacturing process of how Bob makes his cables? I have a pdf he sent me showing the process, let me see if I can post it here. Hmm for some reason I can't any advice on how to post a pdf?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing