Lamm owners- still in love with your amps/preamps?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I have m1.2s I have never read that? But if your happy with m1.1 keep them :)
I have been delighted with my lamms; if your m1.1 r better all power to you and hang on to them cos my m1.2's r wonderful, just wish they had power of 2.2 which i had before ;)
I bought the M 1.1 as the best sounding amp I know to be able to drive the infamous Apogee Scintilla (linear 1 ohm impedance over the whole frequency range!) and the M 1.1 drives the amp murdering Scinnies with ease while sounding excellent.

Has anyone directly compared the M 1.1 with the M 1.2? I heard or read somewhere that the M 1.1 has better parts and sounds better than the M 1.2. Is that true or rumour?

On my very easy to drive Apogee Studio Grand (linear 6 ohm impedance, about 87dB per watt in 3 meters, dipole!) I prefer my KR Audio amps. KR Audio Kronzilla SX with 50 SET watts and VA350 with 30 SET watts per channel.

I have to admit that I have never heard Lamms SET amps, though.
Has anyone here compared the SET Lamms with KR Audio SET?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi awsmone

I didn't say my M 1.1 are better than M 1.2. I said I heard or read that somewhere.
I'm not talking myself into that because I cannot afford to upgrade ;-)
I would love to directly compare the M 1.1 with the M 1.2 to find out which one sounds better (to me).
But that most probably will never happen. In central Europe, Lamms aren't that widespread.

The M 1.1 was easily the best amp I heard on the dreaded 1 Ohm Apogee Scintilla (don't know if Ypsilon amps would be able to drive the Scintillas but they "could" even sound better if they don't break on that load).

On easier speakers, I prefer my KR Audio amps over the M 1.1, though.
And then again, I have never heard the Lamm SET amps. I guess they are even a lot better sounding than the M 1.x (and M 2.x) on suitable speakers.

I hope that JackD201 chimes in soon as according to Steve he is in the fortunate position to compare them all.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Cristoph I can only give generalities between the ML2.1 Lamm SET and the Kronzilla DX IIs that we have here. It's very apples to oranges since there aren't many speakers the 18 wpc ML2.1 can perform at its best with. Having also had other KR models here like the 855, 900, 910 as well as the other Lamms like the push pull ML1.1, and both hybrids I would say that in general Lamm has more transient "pop" and a touch more definition while the KRs have a touch more weight and body. I'm not very good at descriptions really and that's the reason I lean very heavily on demonstration. Personally, I think both appeal to a broad swath of listeners because neither get in your face and have a good sense of flow. I do think that they sometimes push different buttons in different listeners. While say another brand we carry the all solid state, high switch speed, very accurate CH Precision line keeps you alert and in a state of visual immersion and the KR's being very tactile in the lower midrange where I'm sure you have experienced the feeling of the hair on your arms vibrating sympathetically keeps one "swoony" and blissful, the Lamm's are in between with more of a tug at the gut especially whith sweet sustained tones and vibratos. To be candid, that is the reason we carry all three. We also carry a modestly priced line from Germany called Valvet that in turn falls in between the Lamm and KR house sounds.

In a few months time we will have the 200wpc 842VD based KR amp and that should be easier to compare with the M2.1 Lamm Hybrid at least with my speakers. I'll try and chime in then. I wish I could have been of more help.

I also think that KR is very underrated. IMO Marek Gencev their chief designer is very talented and has really brought the original designs of Riccardo (RIP friend) to new and greater heights. Ricacardo would have been proud of his one time protege.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Jack

Thank you for your assessment.

I, too think, that KR Audio is absolutely great gear.
Particularly the KR Audio VA350i is very good bang for the buck, especially when bought second hand :)

Reactions: JackD201

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I totally agree with you

who knows or cares...not meaning to put words in your mouth... sorry

but if with m1.1 ur happy

be happy ;)

i have m1.2 and amp happy

i cannot afford another amp upgrade either

its great the lamms can drive scintillas wow!... so flexible thats what i love about them !!!

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
i only compared m2.2 with m1.2 ....

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi awsmone

The M 1.1 drive the Scinnies with ease, that means they drive ANY speaker you can imagine.

After you do have the M 1.2 and not the M 2.2, I take it the M 1.2 sounds better in your ears, right?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
i think Bolin review is pretty spot on
m 2.2 95% of m1.2

if u need power then m2.2

if not m1.2

objectively i think its about when either goes from class a to ab :)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I lived with a pair of Lamm M1.1 for more than 10 years before I heard that M1.2 and decided to upgrade. To my ears, the two characteristics of the M1.1 that was most significantly changed by the M1.2 are: 1) the disproportionately big but very pleasing low frequency of the M1.1 compared to the rest of the frequency range, and; 2) the darkly lit soundstage of the M1.1. The M1.2 had better balance in the reproduction of the entire frequency range, and; the soundstage is more brightly

The only speaker I owned that the M1.1 could not drive is the Stax F81. The M1.1 simply shut off every time I hooked them up to the Stax F81.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Mullard

Thanks for your first hand comparison.
So it comes down to personal taste and/or system synergy?

Is your "new" M 1.2 able to drive the Stax F81 without shutting off?

What tubes are you M 1.x owners using in your amps and how long do they work before you need to change them?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi christoph,

You're most welcome.

On your first question, if you are asking if the different sound character i hear between the M1.1 and M1.2 is due to my preference or system synergy, the answer is no. The description is what I heard using both amps to drive Magnepan 1.6, original WATT, WATT/PUPPY 5, Spica TC50, Yamaha NS 1, Metaphor 2, and Crosby Quad 63. I believe what I described are the inherent sonic signatures of the two amps.

I have not tried the M1.2 on the Stax F81 yet.

The tube I use in both the M1.1 and M1.2 is CV2492 made by Mullard. I started using the CV2492 about halfway through my ownership of the M1.1. I just transferred the tubes from the M1.1 to the M1.2 the moment I took delivery of the M1.2. I'm still using the same tubes up to now. Don't use my experience to gauge the life of the tubes. My tubes last longer because I rotate amps in and out of the chain.

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Late to the party but chiming in. I've owned several single ended triode amplifiers. 45s, 2A3s, 300bs, but since getting the Lamm ML2.1 I stopped SET amp rolling. I haven't looked back since.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Late to the party but chiming in. I've owned several single ended triode amplifiers. 45s, 2A3s, 300bs, but since getting the Lamm ML2.1 I stopped SET amp rolling. I haven't looked back since.

Welcome to the party Nephilim and don't forget about Lamm preamps, special magic there!

david

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So true David. I still use the LL2 Deluxe as a pre amp. :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi mullard88

Ooops, this one slipped...
In this case a very late thank you for your experience.
Is the Mullard CV2492 still your king tube or did you find another one that pleases you even better?

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
Lamm components,especially the signature one's.LL.1-LP1-ML3
are like a audiophiles dream.
Only with the ML3's you cannot use them on certain speakers,you
degrade their performance.(low efficency and low impedence)

Robert

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi,
Lamm components,especially the signature one's.LL.1-LP1-ML3
are like a audiophiles dream.
Only with the ML3's you cannot use them on certain speakers,you
degrade their performance.(low efficency and low impedence)

Robert

Can you tell us what would be your personnel favorites for the ML3?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Have heard the Lamm gear over the years and admired its un assuming humble exterior and their seductive true- to- life sound.... was wondering how current and past owners of the lamm still feel about the gear?

I am new to the Lamm brand and own the LL2.1 Deluxe phono, the LL1 Signature preamp, and the original ML2 amps. They are a very successful combination and match, but one needs appropriate speakers. Mine are 105dB/16 ohm corner horns. I did briefly borrow the Lamm M1.1 for my Magico speakers and that too was an excellent combination.

I find Lamm electronics to sound tonally neutral, with great resolution and very little or no coloration. They are the heart of my new system and I now understand why these components are so highly revered. They simply sound right, and I would say "natural".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing