Organ and choir recordings in analog IEC 15ips tape format

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
New here, this is my first post. Very nice forum. Would there be any interest in organ and choir recordings in IEC 15ips format? For some years I have been thinking to release analog tapes for audiophile use. I have been in the recording business for 30+ years, and started the work in the analog era. Therefore I am well aware of how to maintain and calibrate tape machines, aswell as how to edit with razor blades. I think it also is much more fun to do. I am thinking about launching newly recorded analog material, but I just wonder if there would be a market for that. I have worked with prominent organists worldwide and where I live (Sweden), there is a tradition of great choir singing. I have no commercial intentions, and I am not out on huge sales, but just enough to fund the costs for keeping these machines roling, or pay the costs for a half inch master recorder in future. My expertise is most in organ, choir and small acoustical jazz trio's and quartets. I have also designed a bit different way of recording, and by means of tape copying in reverse mode, phase faults in the whole recording chain get compensated, and therefore the customer gets a copy that sounds actually better than the original. Just my two analog cents.

Erik Sikkema

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
There's a name I recognise. Didn't you record Hans Davidsson's magnificent Buxtehude organ cycle, and some of the Jacques van Oortmerssen Bach discs? You're probably all over my shelves beyond those recordings too. It's rare I get to thank people who have worked on discs that I love, so thank you!!

I don't have the means of playing analogue tape so I'm not much use to you here, but it's great to have you posting on the forum.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum. Last time I saw someone edit tape using a razor it was my brother, back in early 1970s! :)

As to your idea I don't think there is any doubt about demand for well recorded music on tape. I personally love to support such ventures so I am going to order pne of your tapes sight unseen!

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
There's a name I recognise. Didn't you record Hans Davidsson's magnificent Buxtehude organ cycle, and some of the Jacques van Oortmerssen Bach discs? You're probably all over my shelves beyond those recordings too. It's rare I get to thank people who have worked on discs that I love, so thank you!!

I don't have the means of playing analogue tape so I'm not much use to you here, but it's great to have you posting on the forum.

Yes, I recorded Hans Davidsson's Buxtehude and Weckman CD's for Gothic. Upcoming is a serie with music of J.S.Bach's teacher, Georg Böhm, 3 CD set. http://www.freewebs.com/eriksikkema/06 SpÃ¥r 06.mp3

I think I made all Bach CD's with Jacques van Oortmerssen.

What kind of music do you prefer on analog masters? Anyone who can play back 30ips and half inch tapes?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Most of us stop at quarter inch and 15 ips.

I am flexible on type of music but Bach is for sure my favorite in classical music.

Kees de Visser

Aug 21, 2014
France
Hej Erik, nice to see you here.

Erik and I were classmates (rec.eng.) in the early 80's when splicing analog tape was the only way to edit. I still have my BASF antimagnetic scissors, but hope to never use them again. Digital editing is incomparably more sophisticated (and non destructive).
What machine(s) would you use for location recording ? Some members here have a 820, but that's probably too heavy to carry around. IIRC we both had a 810. Mine is in excellent shape, catching dust on a shelf.

Cheers,
Kees

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have some piano master recordings done by the Original B 62 owner(amateur recording eng. ) of a real event , what a diff with all of those modern digital recordings its just laughable.... progress .... my ass

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes i think there might be interest , i have an ideal transportable machine for the job although its 1/4 inch , it sounds better then my A 80 although it might be a restauration /heads problem , it just sounds more snappy/dynamic

by the location I see of the audio boards, is there a supply motor, or is it located somewhere else and belt driven?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As far as i know the motors directly drive the reels no belt , but i havent really opened it up much to see.
I might send it back for further restauration in the near future , and show some pics of the inside

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
Hello Kees, happy to be here on the forum.

Studer B62 maybe one of Studer's best classcial designs. Short stable tape path. The A80 is over-engineered. The long tape path along the head block may cause the difference compared to B62. I have several B62's and later this year I may offer some for sale.

I have found some analog recordings in my archive which could be offered here for sale, but I have to speak with the artists.

What tape brand and type is preferred today to copy recordings to?

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
by the location I see of the audio boards, is there a supply motor, or is it located somewhere else and belt driven?

If you refer to a B62, it is basically the design model for the A77. Three engines, all Papst. Like all Studer's. The take up real has a tacho on it as far as I understand to measure the tape tension, like the A807. The only problem all Studers have, when a tape splice is passing, the W&F goes straight up. My B62 measures less than 0,03% weighted. My Studer A812 0,02 at 15ips and 0,01 at 30 ips. With edit it jumps to 0.08. Telefunken M15 (A) with the heavy flightwheel construction stays on 0.02% even with a splice.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
but I would guess the splices are in between tracks and not in the middle of them unless tape is restored....
just wondering
best
Leif

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
but I would guess the splices are in between tracks and not in the middle of them unless tape is restored....
just wondering
best
Leif

We did do a lot of editing within the music, of course you do not have any sophisticated cross-fade possibilities. They are all "hard edits".

I used to splice using > > swallow tales, instead of / / cuts. It becomes a short cross-fade, starting from the interchannel separation fading over the head gap. Once you had cut, it was not possible to do much about the timing. I think my collegue Tony Faulkner used that > > technique also in the old days.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve just emailed this musician , he plays the clavichord and has a fully restored A 80 with dolby noise reduction , see if i can score some recordings lol .
Should sound extremely dynamic on tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWERhs4uCk&t=465s if you click on authentic sound you can see him play

PS If i buy a stereomic , i could record myself with the portable B 62 :D

Visit to switzerland to pick up the studer from andreas kuhn :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2WCWtQSSfU

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing