a Norwegian tale of the road to greater sound - by kaap

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks a lot :)

No prob... happy reading :p
Can you share this link without alterations, please?
I cannot open it here

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Can you share this link without alterations, please?
I cannot open it here

this is the direct link..

I see now that linkin "thru" google translate does not work all the time.. so, if anyone want to read the thread, copy the link -> google translate, and it should work.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
this is the direct link..

I see now that linkin "thru" google translate does not work all the time.. so, if anyone want to read the thread, copy the link -> google translate, and it should work.
Thank you so much
I have the highest respect for your project :eek:
I adore your view to the lake from the deck :cool:

Reactions: kaap and Andrew S.

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Thank you so much
I have the highest respect for your project :eek:
I adore your view to the lake from the deck :cool:
Thank you, very kind words!
Regards Kai

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thank you, very kind words!
Regards Kai
Well deserved!
And I want to add:
I have even higher respect for your work because you did all that on your own :eek: :cool:

Reactions: kaap and Andrew S.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Thanks for posting the link to your build. Finished listening room is shocking the first time you see it. Many well thought out touches to make endless days or nights pass pleasantly those in other climes may not quite grasp the subtly of. I'll echo compliments of your home and what you've accomplished.

How are you finding the stable works for your photography?

Did you leave cold spots on the floor under expected equipment placements (amps etc.)?

Barbeque hut was an especially appreciated addition. Bet pitch of that metal roof is just about right to mount a snow sled and still get up enough speed to leave it. :D

Reactions: kaap

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Thanks for posting the link to your build. Finished listening room is shocking the first time you see it. Many well thought out touches to make endless days or nights pass pleasantly those in other climes may not quite grasp the subtly of. I'll echo compliments of your home and what you've accomplished.

How are you finding the stable works for your photography?

Did you leave cold spots on the floor under expected equipment placements (amps etc.)?

Barbeque hut was an especially appreciated addition. Bet pitch of that metal roof is just about right to mount a snow sled and still get up enough speed to leave it. :D

thank you sir :)

The "back" off the room works great as a studio. I dont take a lot of jobs, but the ones I do get done :)

No, the floor heating is thruout the entire floor.

:) I'm to old to dare sledding of roofs... plus, that roof is so smooth that snow allways slide right off :p

regards Kai

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I'm to old to dare sledding of roofs... plus, that roof is so smooth that snow always slide right off

* a wise friend one day said; "if the boy within a man, goes away, the man is lost".... and my inner boy is childish as ever :p

OK, we stick to audio. :D

I will respect the language barrier more as well. :)

Having used this room as your office for over a year. Many of us have wondered if you moved/removed parts of your acoustic treatments or explored testing for room nodes, etc. We also missed some of the finer details of how you arrived at speaker and listening chair positions. Icing on the cake if you can fill in some of these holes.

What would you change in your equipment or room to heighten your enjoyment today?

Reactions: kaap and christoph

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
OK, we stick to audio. :D

I will respect the language barrier more as well. :)

Having used this room as your office for over a year. Many of us have wondered if you moved/removed parts of your acoustic treatments or explored testing for room nodes, etc. We also missed some of the finer details of how you arrived at speaker and listening chair positions. Icing on the cake if you can fill in some of these holes.

What would you change in your equipment or room to heighten your enjoyment today?

English is my second language, but I feel I don't use it as much as I should, just to keep it fresh. That's one of the reasons I returned to WBF, to practice on my english :)

Regarding home office.. I made a dual-computer-desk in the back courner... I don't feel it has affected the overall sound in a noticeable way.

As to speaker placement, to be honist, I went with my gut feeling (have had these speakers in different shapes, and in different rooms, for almost 20 years, so I know them...), and they sounded great from the get-go. I am gonna find time to tweak and try out different things, maybe the coming winter, but as it sounds, I'am in no rush. Same goes to seating position... if I have to use the photo part of the room and move the seating, I just know where to put it back.. and if I miss "the spot", I hear it right away.

To be honist, again... I feel I can retire from the "ever-ending-audio-nirvana-chase"... As my system as-is today, I feel home.. I love everything about it.... + to ME, the hifi industry has committed suiside, with their markups and woodo talk... I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but as stated, this is what I feel.
I grew up, with hifi-flyers (dealer magazines).. with B&W 801S3, SME 20.1, Gryphon monoblocks, and Snell Reference A. Back then, they where every music lovers wet dream.... now, in 2021, for the same amount of money, I'll get a streaming integrated amp and a pair of mid-fi Sonus Faber.... Or 1 meter of Nordost Odin 2.
With my government desk job, modern HiEnd is just beyond my horizon. I wish one day to find myself a good-solid power conditioner for my front end.. but I'm no rush... Hope to find a good deal on a used one.
One of the highend dealers in Norway just posted that they have recived demo units from STROMTANK, from Germany.. ready for trail or demo... The big one costs more than my car. So pass.

To answer your question.... Other than a power conditioner, I want to get my hands on more vinyl, but since vinyl is now "the shit" again.. for all ages... (witch is a positive thing, now that everybody is streaming, and many artists struggels on their "Spotify paycheck"), atleast here in Norway, almost ANY album is 45 $, or more.. some are double that.

To end this post, I'm gonna promise to upload more pictures, inc some of my front end, and maybe try to explain my choices, and audio philosophy... not gonna be easy in english, but I'm gonna try.

Kind Regards Kai

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Thank you for the reply. No issues with syntax or meanings.

Much is outwardly perceived exactly as you describe in high end audio. Which makes your choices enjoyable. A couple years ago I spoke against members focused on audio boutiques by suggesting the way forward lies in reestablishing contact with those on civil servant salaries. Some work and some internal pieces will always be expensive to implement - for meaningful gains. Some, like your handiwork, requires time and patience mixed with intelligence. These are qualities believed also in good supply within the high end if they can find better terms to operate under.

I think you will find that from your age upward is where the best equipment routinely showed up in systems here. Questions of whether conditioning of your area's power supply is found in hifi-flyers might be something you need to prove to yourself. I don't want you to feel it unfair looking at your responses or asking about unheated floors. Everyone always knows better on the internet. Friendly questions only here. :)

Highly doubt I'm the only one who enjoyed seeing you succeed. That you are happy and will remain so is the important part. After 20 years you should be able to judge the angle beauty is found to within a few mm. ;)

Reactions: christoph and kaap

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
IMG_8763.jpg

(I should maybe have inserted "letters" into the photo, so it would be easier to follow.. )

Sort write up of the "inventory"...

This is the rack that sits in the back right corner. Racks are self made.

Low Rack - Top self - right to left:

- SSD drive with my music collection ripped in lossless.
- s.o.t.m SMS-200neo network media player
- Singxer SU-1 digital-to-digital converter (usb to XLR digital)
- Dynamic Presicion DAC8.0 (old school dac without usb input)
- Dynamic Presicion C1s active preamp

Low Rack - Bottom self - right to left:

- Low noise PSU for s.o.t.m SMS-200
- Low noise PSU for Singxer SU-1 (SU-1 is modded, removed internal psu, added external power bracket)
- Stock external psu for DAC8.0
- Stock external transformer for C1s

Tall Rack - top to bottom:
- Thorens TD321 w/RB300 arm and Ortofon Quintet Blue
- Dynamic Presicion DPR2.2 phono stage (balacend...)
- Power supply for DPR2.2

In the front of the room (previous photo)
Dynamic Presicion EC501 mono crossovers, each with external psu's.
Dynamic Presicion A1s EBW stereo amp's.
Multicell speakers.

Regards Kai

EDIT: The photo on the wall, is a poster that the singer Kari Bremnes used to promote a tour a few years back, signed by Kari of course :p
Photo taken by yours truly :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing