a Norwegian tale of the road to greater sound - by kaap

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Thanks 4 the feedback GSOphile and andromediaaudio :)

I have considered to go into detail how my audiosystem have evolved over the years, but I have decided to make a quick rundown insted.

On the previous page I mention my first setup, a Marantz cd player, a Tandberg Pre/power amplifier, and KEF speakers.

Some time after that I got a Musical Fidelity FCD player, with tube output stage, and my first (of several) Dynamic Precision Power amplifier.

Musical Fidelity FCD

DSCN8411.jpg

By the time I was 18, I have build my set of Dipol speakers (dynacell), and upgraded the front end to; Teac VRDS T1 transport, Dynamic Precision DAC 8.0, Dynamic Precision preamp to go with my Dynamic Precision power amp...

Almost forgot, before I got a Dynamic Precision preamp, I made a super simple "preamp"(volume control), passive, in a wooden case... I later sold it with my first Dynamic Precision power amp.. the preamp looked like this;

117-1733_IMG.JPG

117-1732_IMG.JPG

Later on, I was about 20, I got a amazing deal on one for the largest Dynamic Precision ever made. The Dynamic Precision DPA 6.5. My system looked like this back then...

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

next post....

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no

And again, later... in 2012 I think... I got a change to buy the prototype from my brother, of an all out version of his Multicell model. They where a bit bigger..

IMG_0667.JPG

And just about the same system, but in the first house that was not a rental...

IMG_0376.jpg

And in the later years, I have sold and gotten a few new items, and tried a few tings on loan...

Sold Teac VRS T1, Dynamic Precision Dac, Dynamic Precision preamp. Got a NAD M51 dac with volume controll, and a SONOS Connect.
Got a Dynamic Precision A1s poweramp. Sold my Dynamic Precision 6.5. Got another Dynamic Precision A1s.
Got the same Dynamic Precision dac back as I had before (after loaning a modern MQA supported musical wonder dac(according to the internet)... IT SUCKED).
Got a Dynamic Precision C1s preamp.. (one of maybe 12 ever made).

TODAY I use a Macbook Pro (2008mod) I got from a friend as a lossless playback source, a Singxer SU-1 digital-digital converter, my trusted Dynamic Precision DAC 8.0, Dynamic Precision C1s preamp, Dynamic Precision EC501 active Crossover, and two Dynamic Precision A1s power amps. Still have my prototype Multicell.. modded to be active driven...

Electronics-stack, as they are currently setup upstairs, waiting for their new listening room...

rack.jpg

NOW I am up-to-date, and in upcoming posts will feature more current development, listening room and so on... :)

Regards Kai

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Cables is always a hot topic.. Here is one going from the house to the barn.

IMG_1308.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: ACHiPo

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Reactions: ACHiPo

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
I'm just gonna jump to two weeks ago...

IMG_7103.JPG

Flooring is next

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
outrageously cool! look forward to more photos! fantastic!

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
A shot form when a good mate came by to have a look and a listen...

IMG_8067.JPG

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
stunning! Congrats and Enjoy!

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
I see now that the forums have been altered/refreshed, and the posts from the last 1/2 week in this tread is gone.

Here is the picture that I uploaded a few days back..
IMG_8748.JPG

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
... and on a sidenote... just finished refoaming a set of Snell Type E IV.. Now they work like a charm :)

And put them to use in the basement, as an tv-sound-upgrade together with an integrated 50w..

IMG_8833.jpg

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Just finished putting up absorbments above the listening position. Great improvement in the midrange (untreated it resulted in echo in the midrange.. / to long fall-off time)

Next is to dial in the speaker position and get rid off the wheel platforms..

6838EE51-D5A7-45E5-AE91-F92E539673CE.jpeg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I see now that the forums have been altered/refreshed, and the posts from the last 1/2 week in this tread is gone.

Here is the picture that I uploaded a few days back..
View attachment 44113

Cool rack sir. :cool:

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: kaap

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Just finished putting up absorbments above the listening position. Great improvement in the midrange (untreated it resulted in echo in the midrange.. / to long fall-off time)

Next is to dial in the speaker position and get rid off the wheel platforms..

View attachment 48131
I am going the opposite de-absorbing my room...bringing down one absorbment from my ceiling.

Tang :)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Very nicely done!

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Hmmm I’m been bad at updating this thread. :(

Gonna put in an effort later in july.

kaap

Nov 3, 2015
Norway
www.dpguiden.no
Lazy lazy lazy :(

Days fly by, soon autum and then winter. jeez.. Soon xmas :/

Got this awesome doormat for my audioroom this summer for my bithday :)

IMG_0134.jpg

Anywho.... just gonna post a resent photo form the "audio barn".. It's a bit messy, but I'm in the process of rebuilding/upgrading my speakers.
Meaning, wider baffle, new xover chassis, with new xover parts and new connectors.

(The blue ribbon is just a loading strap, holding some wooden boards, that the large new side panels rests against.... In other words.. work in progress :p )

IMG_0008.JPG

Regards Kai

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing