Free music

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
In my recent experience with the Pandora music station I thought about this thread. What is our favorite source of free music?? Is it live or recorded ?. What is the broadcast medium? It could be a traditional radio station pr Satellite radio. It could be something over the internet, live bands or orchestras, that offer performances for free or for small sum, in order provides an opportunity for the students to perform n a front of a real audience.

The free downloads as part of a promotional offer? Live music could be a concert series provided by the local government or a commercial sponsor. It might be provided by a local university or college or symphony orchestra
Probably the most common is still broadcast radio. It has downside.
Commercials
Limited choice of musical content
Low broadcast quality.

Nothing s actually free but this is about as close as you can get. There are many public stations that feature specific genres such as jazz ans classical. They also offer the benefit of few or no advertisements. Some have invested heavily to improve broadcast quality.
My favorite source of free music isQPFW 89.3 in Washington DC available also over the internet. Except for classical and rock it covers the gamut including hip hop/rap, jazz. and blues ,

For most areas there is usually a summer concert series of some srt. In the Washingotn , DC Metropilitan area the Nationla Parl service has The carter Barron amphitheatre and the Fort Dupont Park concert series. Many Universities

So let's have it. What;s your favorite source of tree music in your local? rLive or recorded.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Copyright law

While it remains unlikely that any particular individual would draw the attention of prosecutor for making copies of music selections there is some risk. It would appear making a copy of your musical purchase for your own personal use is OK Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Here is what the RIAA has to say

https://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?content_selector=piracy_online_the_law
Exceptions
http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/C_in_...sed_Uses_of_a_Copyright_Are_Not_Infringements

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The first project for us misers is to find a free concert in your area and attend it. Donations are permitted.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
AMIR If you have not done it already. .ask someone under 25 to load Pandora on your smartphone. Given the amount of time you spend traveling yo';ll love it. You can your own radio station.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I thought you were asking about music you can download freely. Of course I know about Pandora. And before that, AM/FM radio. :D

On that front, large amount of my free music consumption comes from Youtube. This was my getting ready to go to sleep music last night in bed:

The let to exploring her channel and landing on this re-interpretation of Anthrax's "Safe Home:"

And this lovely rendition of Africa by Toto:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nice http://8tracks.com/explore/violin, For relaxation you might want to try this.
Thanks. Nice Mozart to wake up to! I also like the album art:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Very nice . I used to spend almost every weekend in the Pennsylvania mountains. l

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing