Custom Amplifier stands

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I plan on having a custom amp stand built to hold my current 250lb 2 channel amp. I will place it behind closed doors so appearance is not important. I was planning on having a metal shop create something (although I am open to other ideas-wood?). My only requirements are that it support the weight, that the platform is approximately 6 inches off of the ground, and that it doesn't vibrate. It will rest on a concrete floor. Thanks in advance for your input.

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I don't even know where to get that butcher block. Sad, I know. I am the opposite of DIY. I also need it to be 6 inches in height and I want the ability to run power cords and such under it. Thus, I need "feet" of some sort.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Brian

I didn't know where to get it either. I called a local kitchen cabinet maker and he said of course. I had him do custom sizes for each of my components which BTW at the time were all in the front of my room under the screen. I had the cabinet maker shape along the grain of the wood, double bevel the edges so they wouldn't be sharp and then lightly stain with a wood oil fixative.

Very inexpensive but highly effective. Maple is what you want

If you give me the dimensions of what you want I may have one that size because at that time my Krell 750 Mcx's were sitting on them and they weighed 200 Lbs each

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't even know where to get that butcher block. Sad, I know. I am the opposite of DIY. I also need it to be 6 inches in height and I want the ability to run power cords and such under it. Thus, I need "feet" of some sort.

Try Lowe's or Home Depot (Or whayever your local home improvement store is called). I saw some beautiful butcher block at Lowes. For custom metal stands try Sound Anchors. Reasonably priced. He may already have a design on hand. If not, he will build to spec.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I have two 3 cm granite slabs sitting atop 2 high stacked hockey pucks...that's right, hockey pucks. The rubber like material is about as inert as it gets and the slabs weigh a ton. I have my MC501 monoblocks sitting on them and they seem to do a great job.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have two 3 cm granite slabs sitting atop 2 high stacked hockey pucks...that's right, hockey pucks. The rubber like material is about as inert as it gets and the slabs weigh a ton. I have my MC501 monoblocks sitting on them and they seem to do a great job.

No need to apologize. I was going to say that many of my friends use granite. Just butcher block is terrific at a whole lot less money and it is in a room behind closed doors on concrete. For me it's a no brainer

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have my 2 Pass Labs amps on custom Sound Anchor stands. Like Gregadd said, they really don't cost that much.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This guy sells pre-made butcher block for this use: http://www.timbernation.com/mapleplatform_popup.cfm

That said, I am not sure I understand the merits here. Putting wood on concrete is asking for trouble. It will soak up the moisture from concrete, warp and transmit that moisture up to the bottom of the amp which may rust.

I also don't understand the physics of what that block would do for a 250 pound mass sitting on top of it. Is there something I can read on it?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just off the top of my head you could line tbe butcher block with some shelf liner paper like Contact. That would block the moisture path.

Last edited:

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
Moisture is a non issue in this environment. I have a cabinet maker who is getting some drawings together for a wooden(maple) stand. I expect it to work well. I like the idea of multi-material, but just don't know how to execute it (or if it is really worth the trouble).

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I used butcher block for an install a long time ago in a galax* -- never mind, it was this galaxy, sorry. :) ANYway, after a couple of years the butcher block cracked and broke apart along the glue lines from the heat and repeated thermal cycles, dumping a huge monoblock amplifier onto the records stored beneath. The customer was displeased. Really, REALLY displeased, as a matter of fact.

This may never happen to you, but I shall never again use it under a heavy, hot PA. Wood or MDF, finished to avoid moisture issues, should work OK. I'd put rubber feet/bumpers under it to keep the wood off the concrete. For a cheap solution, why not standard concrete foundation blocks?

FWIWFM - Don

joe1515

May 26, 2010
New York
I would definitely check out Steve Blinn Designs I ordered a component platform that came out great in fact I am ordering another one for my VPI SDS that I just purchased. The owner Steve Blinderman is a great guy, great communication and a really quality product.

Joe

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I had my install done 2 weeks ago. The room looks great, and I was able to get my behemoth Boulder 2060 and my BAT VK250M behind cabinet doors and onto maple stands. Overall, everything sounds better, and the room is more comfortable. Mission Accomplished. Thanks to all who have commented.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
this guy sells pre-made butcher block for this use: http://www.timbernation.com/mapleplatform_popup.cfm

that said, i am not sure i understand the merits here. Putting wood on concrete is asking for trouble. It will soak up the moisture from concrete, warp and transmit that moisture up to the bottom of the amp which may rust.

I also don't understand the physics of what that block would do for a 250 pound mass sitting on top of it. Is there something i can read on it?

+1

p

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
as far as what amps sit on; there is no one answer.

currently i use a GPA Monaco amp stand with my darTZeel NHB-108B Stereo Amplifier. i've tried it on the floor, i've tried them on top of butcher block, and i've tried them on cones. The darTZeel seems to like a bit of de-coupling that the GPA provides.

6 months ago i had the very beautiful pre-production $135k darTZeel 700 watt monoblocks in my room for a month. they were shipped to me after CES. as they weighed more than 200 pounds each they sat on the floor.

when i first recieved them i loved their sound but found that i was getting a slight upper bass thickness somehow. i spent a frustrating hour that first night trying to figure out what was going on. the next morning i removed some long stainless steel pins and replaced them with gold plated cover slugs. the pins prevent the suspended chassis inside the casework from swinging during shipment by gently holding it stationary. as i started listening again i noticed that the upper bass thickness was gone and the transparency was greatly improved. turns out that those pins were preventing the internal suspension of the amps from working correctly.

these amps are designed to go directly on a floor and provide their own suspension.

in the past i have owned two different sets of Tenor amps; one was a pair of 75 watt OTL monoblocks which i used on top of Zoethecus amp stands....and they did like that. the other Tenors were the 300 Watt monoblocks; which did not sound right on the Zoethecus and sounded quite a bit better directly on my hardwood over concrete floor.

for awhile i had multi-channel in my room and i was using some Rowland 5000 digital amp monoblock knockoffs for the rear channels. these digital amps are quite lightweight and are subject to being microphonic. i found they needed some sort of mass loading on top of them to sound natural.

prior to the Tenors i had both the Mark Levinson #33H monoblocks and the big 375 pound each #33 monoblocks. i tried big marble slabs, granite slabs and maple butcher block under these amps. both of them sounded best directly on the floor.

my guess is that most amps (under 200 pounds) prefer some sort of decoupling to being diectly on the floor. but i did not own my GPA amp stands until i owned my darTZeel's.

the floor-amp interface will be a component of the sonic character of your system and you need to be open-minded to what each approach might do.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi Brian,

You may wish to consider one of the Adona Amp stands. I had been very happy with mine. They have now been incorporated into my rack system.

http://www.adonacorporation.com/index.html

I suggest looking at the Signature series. These will support 300 pounds.

http://www.adonacorporation.com/av45as.html

Rich

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing