Get High, Hear Less?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't do drugs either but have tinnitus that comes and goes. It was fascinating to read this in that paper: "Although the mechanisms underlying tinnitus are still not fully understood, the most likely cause of tinnitus is changes in neural activity in the brain, which is supported by both animal and human studies. In animals and humans with tinnitus, neurons in multiple areas of the brain become more active and more neurons fire at the same time in order to compensate for the hearing loss due to damage to the cochlear hair cells."

I had thought that the ear was actually producing these tones through resonances and such. Didn't realize it was the brain manufacturing the impression of the same.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The study also shows that there should be additional research done. I think the researchers could study the long term effect of cannabinoids on hearing loss and also try to administer the doses in a more isolated manner. It could be that the rats were so high that they develop an anti-fear response to the stimulus. They address that issue in the paper but I'm not convinced they could control for that variable.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I'm not into weed, but I find when I drink alcohol, the volume always seems to increase. :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Did enough weed in my teens and twenties to last a lifetime. LOL! Haven't touched it in over 25 years. Now it's just beer and the odd glass of wine. I don't like spirits.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..I had tinnitus temporarily after general anesthesia. I also lost my voice and never regained it...a condition called spasmodic dysphonia...17 yrs ago now. Luckily the tinnitus went away after several months and my hearing is quite good now...for an old fart..

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
I have had mild tinnitus for decades. But, honestly, I do not ever recall being aware of it when listening to music live or reproduced, watching a movie, etc. Usually, it is only in quiet surroundings. Maybe I am lucky.

I will stay away from the pot, thanks. Been there, done that without feeling the better for it. Booze, now that is different matter, drunk judiciously, of course, like the cocktail hour Bombay Sapphire Martini in my hand right now with afternoon cigar. For some reason, though, my music listening is best with my full, sober attention. I like to let the music intoxicate me rather than other substances. A little too much booze makes me drift off to sleep, though it is a pleasant sleep to classical music. But, I wake from that feeling I have missed something.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing