Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Maybe; I need to see it first.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've seen 4K and have never really been impressed. But HDR is different. The demos I saw at CEDIA made me a believer. HDR is a big improvement, IMO. It's almost like seeing an HDTV for the first time. You really don't need to see a side-by-side to know that it's a huge upgrade. Will anyone be upgrading their gear for HDR or any of the other new video improvements?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Need to see it first

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How do we even know if we can play this resolution? I have an Oppo BD 95 and will likely be ordering a JVC DLA-x700

dla-x700_awards_new.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just a note that HDR is not dependent on video resolution. Any video from DVD to Blu-ray can be encoded to be HDR (in backward compatible way using technology such as Dolby's) and by using an appropriate display and connection to it, experience a much higher dynamic range.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Just a note that HDR is not dependent on video resolution. Any video from DVD to Blu-ray can be encoded to be HDR (in backward compatible way using technology such as Dolby's) and by using an appropriate display and connection to it, experience a much higher dynamic range.

Does HDR require any proprietary decoding in the player or does that all happen inside the projector/screen?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

so does that mean if we buy an HDR blu-ray or dvd, that we can play on an existing oppo? or are we saying, as per RBFC, that we can NOT use existing Oppo players to work with HDR? i suspect the latter based on the article that suggested HDR players will be coming out end of this year.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
so does that mean if we buy an HDR blu-ray or dvd, that we can play on an existing oppo? or are we saying, as per RBFC, that we can NOT use existing Oppo players to work with HDR? i suspect the latter based on the article that suggested HDR players will be coming out end of this year.

I stated that current OPPO players are not compatible with UHD (4K) playback. I don't know enough about how HDR will be delivered as to whether it will work with "legacy" devices. In the case of DolbyVision, which is supposedly backward-compatible, your current player will work if this is true.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Does HDR require any proprietary decoding in the player or does that all happen inside the projector/screen?
In the case of streaming content, both of those are part of the TV anyway. For outboard playback as in the forum of a Blu-ray player, in some schemes like Dolby's that could be in the TV also.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The mechanism to allow decoding in the TV requires the latest HDMI interface so that would rule out using current players.

By the way, if you can at all wait on your projector, you will be able to get one with HDR in a few months.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The mechanism to allow decoding in the TV requires the latest HDMI interface so that would rule out using current players.

By the way, if you can at all wait on your projector, you will be able to get one with HDR in a few months.

Thanks...that's probably why i got a huge discount on the one i ordered...is this likely to be one of those things where (even after all these years and all these technological innovations) people still prefer their 11th generation Kuros Pioneer Elite?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks...that's probably why i got a huge discount on the one i ordered...is this likely to be one of those things where (even after all these years and all these technological innovations) people still prefer their 11th generation Kuros Pioneer Elite?
Not anymore. OLED displays already outdid the Elite and with HDR, they will be in entirely different class altogether.

We are witnesses the first major advancement in display technology after a decade of sitting still since we got to 1080p resolution. A lot is in flux due to it but it is very exciting times.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not anymore. OLED displays already outdid the Elite and with HDR, they will be in entirely different class altogether.

We are witnesses the first major advancement in display technology after a decade of sitting still since we got to 1080p resolution. A lot is in flux due to it but it is very exciting times.

Wow...good to know!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
OLEDs have absolute blacks, which even the Kuros could not quite match. The first generation (LG) won almost every subjective picture quality shootout, but still had a few color calibration issues that will most likely be addressed quickly in ensuing products.

Lee

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have seen an HDR presentation by Joe Kane and was very impressed and will be a must when I upgrade my current set, a Kuro 141. I won't upgrade that set until I find a better set. The Vizio Reference 65" looks promising and I hope to be able participate in a review of that set relatively soon. The R series is the only set at this point to support Dolby Vision. The others only the SEMPTE open standard. I have seen quite a few OLEDs and have been put off by the various uniformity issues, which LG admitted at CEDIA were not fixable as they were caused by issues with the panels themselves and hence no firmware upgrade was possible. I am very leery of LG and OLED at this point. Even the new flat OLEDs have some uniformity issues. Maybe the new Panasonic OLEDs which should be released in a flat version in the US in late 2016 will do the trick. The 141 Kuro I have has the black levels tweaked so it is damn close to OLED blacks and lacks the uniformity issues plaguing LG. Hence, I am in no hurry to upgrade. HDR is amazing however, when used properly.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I have seen an HDR presentation by Joe Kane and was very impressed and will be a must when I upgrade my current set, a Kuro 141. I won't upgrade that set until I find a better set. The Vizio Reference 65" looks promising and I hope to be able participate in a review of that set relatively soon. The R series is the only set at this point to support Dolby Vision. The others only the SEMPTE open standard. I have seen quite a few OLEDs and have been put off by the various uniformity issues, which LG admitted at CEDIA were not fixable as they were caused by issues with the panels themselves and hence no firmware upgrade was possible. I am very leery of LG and OLED at this point. Even the new flat OLEDs have some uniformity issues. Maybe the new Panasonic OLEDs which should be released in a flat version in the US in late 2016 will do the trick. The 141 Kuro I have has the black levels tweaked so it is damn close to OLED blacks and lacks the uniformity issues plaguing LG. Hence, I am in no hurry to upgrade. HDR is amazing however, when used properly.

Thanks for the correction/clarification. I wasn't aware that LG felt that the issues were unfixable. Do you feel that newer generation panels may correct the problems?

Lee

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
It would appear that the latest generation of builds, namely the October builds, may have greatly reduced the issues with panel uniformity. I have yet to see one to check. But up until then, the issues still remained but not on all panels. I will say that i have no interest in a panel lottery, which is what we have with these panels. The newer panels have introduced another issue, namely a thick yellow vertical strip near the middle of the panel or slightly to the right as you are looking at the screen. IT was even visible on the Panasonic OLED with the LG curved screen and enhanced Panasonic electronics that was rolled out at IFA. The intensity of the yellow stripe also varies from panel to panel. many claim not to see it in "real" content. However, my experience is that you don't see it until you do. Once you do, you see it all the time. It frankly shouldn't be there at all on a flagship set. Personally, I am waiting for a year to see how all this shakes out.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Vizio demo at CEDIA schooled the Samsung. It looked great and I went back three times to look at it! :) Then I went to LG booth and saw the OLED and I could no longer go back. :D At $6,000 the Vizio is priced in OLED category and will surely have uniformity issues too due to backlight not being per pixel.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing