Deqx

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
I am taking a leap of faith and diving into the world of DSP. I Just received my DEQX PreMate for starters. I haven't gone through the setup yet. Waiting on Larry Owen the DEQX guru to help me with setting it up. Hopefully next week or sooner...,,Right now it sounds really good using USB Audio straight from my music Vault server. image.jpg image.jpg

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Sounds really good straight out of the box with no DSP applied. I can't wait to get everything dialled in....The only thing i wish they had done a better job with, is the remote. It is really, really, really cheap. It's worse than the ones offered with cable boxes. Even my wife commented on how cheap it looked and felt. I just wished they had put some thought into it considering the price of the DEQX.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Other than volume on the remote, hook the Deqx up to your laptop and use it. Works very well then.

blang11

Aug 27, 2018
@Gladiator Your system is VERY cool! Would you mind listing your equipment? I recognize the Dali speakers (not sure which model) and the DEQX HDP-5, but no idea what the amps or subs are. What kind of speaker cables are those? Are you powering your Dalis with two amps or three? I got my DEQX PreMate+ in the winter of 2018 and Larry Owens calibrated my system in the spring. I love it! I'm totally bought it on the unique capabilities of DEQX. I think my dream system one day could be fully active tri-amped tower speakers crossed over to a pair of subs. In that kind of arrangement, I think I might actually need two DEQX units, one master and one slave.

-Brice

blang11

Aug 27, 2018
@Gladiator I agree, the remote is the cheapest I've seen. Annoying! Both the HDP-5 and Premate+ are Roon Ready endpoints. I'm a big fan of Roon so I use it to control all playback including volume control. Because of this, I rarely use the remote. The only time I use the remote is to change the input to the Toslink optical connection for my TV (which is normally not placed in my listening room).

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
@Gladiator I agree, the remote is the cheapest I've seen. Annoying! Both the HDP-5 and Premate+ are Roon Ready endpoints. I'm a big fan of Roon so I use it to control all playback including volume control. Because of this, I rarely use the remote. The only time I use the remote is to change the input to the Toslink optical connection for my TV (which is normally not placed in my listening room).

I actually sold the DEQX and my system has evolved quite a bit to say the least. Almost everything is new except for my ASR Emitter II. The DEQX is a very powerful tool and can do wonders. My advise to you.....if you can, take your speakers outside to take measurements it will be an eye opener compared to inside measurements. Getting a refelection free window is key! Enjoy your DEQX journey.
Cheers.

blang11

Aug 27, 2018
Ah. Then I guess whether you liked the DEQX or not, you didn't like it enough to stay with it in the long run. I've had mine for about 8 months and have liked it so much that I'm pretty "bought in" on the approach and can see myself making future upgrades based on DEQX as the anchor of the system. That's why I was so intrigued by your old system pictured above because it was rather complex compared to mine. When Larry did my system calibration, I was fully willing to take the speakers outside, but he advised me not to. Over time, it seems DEQX have changed their approach so that taking the speakers outside is really reserved for fully active speakers, but speakers with passive crossovers (particularly speakers that already measure well in the highs and mids like my Revel F208s) are calibrated in-situ with the majority of the DSP processing focused on bass anomalies in the speakers/sub(s). I expressed reservations about this, but my system sounds great. My audio system will remain basically the same until after I move into a new house, likely in 2020.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing