Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Personally as a consumer I do not put much credence into the infomercials from Peter B.

I hope someone like Fremer reviews your Etsuro cartridge as he does know what he is reviewing whether you agree or not - he is consistent.

Well I have found individuals like Peter ready and willing to review exciting new gear like the Etsuro line of carts. Fremer OTOH has not even graced me with a response. I hope at some point he comes around...

Every reviewer has their own financial interests. Peter is very forthcoming when you ask him about a product. Many a friends have received buying advice from Peter and have been very happy with results. I feel there is more perception of audiophiles having camaraderie towards our appreciation of music through the systems we procure. Once a hot topic get introduced all bets are off and you start to see what lurks underneath. We all have this just it doesn't always make its way to the surface.

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
I have owned a Madake for a brief time and haven't yet found the magic that others have spoken about. Given that it is easily surpassed in my system by my other cartridge, an Ortofon A90, I suspect I don't have it set up optimally or haven't given it enough time.

For those of you with a Madake:
1) What are you using for tracking force?
2) Did it sound great out of the box?
3) Should there be any problems using it in combination with a Continuum Copperhead or Kuzma 4Point (the 2 arms I've tried it on)?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have owned a Madake for a brief time and haven't yet found the magic that others have spoken about. Given that it is easily surpassed in my system by my other cartridge, an Ortofon A90, I suspect I don't have it set up optimally or haven't given it enough time.

3) Should there be any problems using it in combination with a Continuum Copperhead or Kuzma 4Point (the 2 arms I've tried it on)?

So, compared to the a90 are you finding it less resolving (almost muddy), less highs, etc

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I have a A90 . Madake trounced it in all areas & sounded great new . Tracking ard recommended tracking force of 2.5g . In fact like I it much better than Koetsu Coralstone except for vocal presentation which has better resolution . In fact a friend of mine with SME V on SME 30/2 much prefer Madake to Coralstone & both of us sold the Coralstone .
Anybody is welcome to offer me a price for my A90 which has less than 200 hours on it

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
So, compared to the a90 are you finding it less resolving (almost muddy), less highs, etc

less resolving... yes
muddy... yes
less highs... yes

in addition,
dull
lifeless
poor tracker

I started with the suggested tracking force of 2.5 grams and had to increase this substantially (to over 3 grams) just so it wouldn't mistrack.

Admittedly, I haven't spent more than a few sessions trying to set it up.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
less resolving... yes
muddy... yes
less highs... yes

in addition,
dull
lifeless
poor tracker

I started with the suggested tracking force of 2.5 grams and had to increase this substantially (to over 3 grams) just so it wouldn't mistrack.

Admittedly, I haven't spent more than a few sessions trying to set it up.

This is exactly what we heard compared to Zyx Uni II, and I like Ortofon a90 and a95

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Pretty odd . 3 of my audio friends love madake . Anyway miyajima is coming out with a top model . If it's better than Madake , I would go for it

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Pretty odd . 3 of my audio friends love madake . Anyway miyajima is coming out with a top model . If it's better than Madake , I would go for it

Well...I am not a Koetsu fan either. I think Koetsu, miyajima, have a different sound signature to Ortofon a90/a95, Lyra atlas, Zyx, or at lower prices audio technica art 9. Do you like any of those carts?

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
This is exactly what we heard compared to Zyx Uni II, and I like Ortofon a90 and a95

Your buddy Jazzhead heard it at my place . I don't thk he will describe it as muddy , dull & a poor tracker

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Well...I am not a Koetsu fan either. I think Koetsu, miyajima, have a different sound signature to Ortofon a90/a95, Lyra atlas, Zyx, or at lower prices audio technica art 9. Do you like any of those carts?

So far I have heard A90 , ZYX Omega gold , Dynavector XV-1s , Coralstone & Zyx Universe II & Madake in my set. I do like Universe II mounted on Kronos tonearm & TT with the new psu . Fantastic . For the money, I would prefer Madake selling at prob 1/3 of Universe II

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Your buddy Jazzhead heard it at my place . I don't thk he will describe it as muddy , dull & a poor tracker ??

Might be a set up thing. I heard it on FR 64 through shindo.

Your TT set up us much higher spec. Btw, your friends and you who prefer it...is it more for classical or non-classical

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
All of this leads me to believe that something is not right in my setup.

Strangely, I've setup many cartridges before so I don't what would be unique about the Madake. I suppose it could be a loading problem with my Phono Stage....

I'm grasping for straws or suggestions.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

squasher, have you tried directly comparing your Madake to your A90 in the same table/arm/cable combination? That should help you rule out certain other variables.

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
Yes, Peter, I will be swapping out the Madake and replacing it with the A90 as soon as I get the chance.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
Miyajima madake -sound similar to the Ortofon SPU A95 the tone of the sound is almost indistinguishable!
They both have similar characteristics.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Miyajima madake -sound similar to the Ortofon SPU A95 the tone of the sound is almost indistinguishable!
They both have similar characteristics.

I like anniversary SPUs on SET+horn based systems. They are good for piano, and individual tones of instruments, full bodied and musical. They are less resolving and have lower extensions than MC carts.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Squasher it sounds like the cartridge is defective. I would send it back and request another one. The Madake is so much better than the ZYX UNI II its not even close. It's one of the most musical cartridges I have heard. It is not rolled off and the bass is not loose. It likes 2.5, but use 2.6 grams when new. I like loading between 400 to 1000 ohms. What is the rest of your system. Thanks Jeff

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing